Tracy Arm entry

LindaKE

For those who care, a Disney review states that the Wonder got into Tracy Arm, so, hopefully, there is at least a chance that other ships can do so as well. We are really hoping to do Tracy instead of Endicott in a couple of weeks

For those who care, a Disney review states that the Wonder got into Tracy Arm, so, hopefully, there is at least a chance that other ships can do so as well. We are really hoping to do Tracy instead of Endicott in a couple of weeks

Many ships can get into Tracy Arm, but many fewer get close enough to see the twin Sawyer Glaciers at the end of the arm. That's why the general recommendation is to do the ship's excursion on the Allen Marine boat that can always get much closer to the glaciers than the big cruise ships. I did the Adventure Bound round trip from Juneau last year about June 10th. We were able to "park" about 1/4 mile from the face of the South Sawyer Glacier for over an hour - spectacular!

Last week I was on the NCL Pearl and we went in to Tracy Arm as far as the S turn. We didn't see the glaciers, but the passage was breathtaking! It's incredible that the big ships can go in there.

In 2008 our ship sailed Tracy Arm. The week before ships had been able to go all the way into see the glaciers, but the iceberg output increased by our week so we weren't able to make the entire length of the Arm to see the glaciers. So just because a ship can make it in one day, don't plan that it will happen the next day.

We're doing the small boat add-on in Tracy Arm, so all I really care about is that the ship can get in and doesn't divert to Endicott. Since the excursion starts at the entrance to Tracy Arm (hopefuly) from the ship, if the ship diverts to Endicott, the small boat excursion diverts to Endicott. I was so afraid there would be too much ice for the early ships to get into Tracy Arm at all.

Its the weather, between temperature, tides and flows anything is possible.

Disney and the mouse has no corner on timing/luck.

May the mouse be with you without mouse ear pricing :D

Hi--We were on the Adventure Bound last week--May 18th--and we got to within a quarter mile of Sawyer Glacier --it was awesome!! We also saw a whale--fin flipping and breaching, a bear along the way into the fjord and mountain goats. Also lots of icebergs. Great excursion--Steve Weber, the captain is wonderful--gives you lots of great information along the way. Enjoy!! Kathy

Hiya!

I just returned from the Carnival May 17th Cruise. We cruised by Tracy Arm. I took the Allen Marine excursion and it is worth it! Coming out of the Allen Marine, we saw the Mickey Mouse Boat and they were going in but I didn't know how far they can go in. Carnival didn't go in far enough to see the huge glacier (hence, the excursion).

We also ended up with amazing weather! Hope it comes out to you the same way!

Happy Cruising!

Cheers.

Archived