Things to do in Anchorage

pentiumvi

Hello,

I'm planning a trip up to Alaska later this year (August). I will be taking the Princess cruise from Whittier down to Vancouver, and will be arriving in Anchorage a few days prior to the cruise departure date. I was wondering whether anyone can recommend things to do in Anchorage (tours). I am already planning on going on the PWS cruise.

Thank you.

Check out our Visitor's Bureau site - www.anchorage.net

As someone stated, our Museum is very nice. There is also the Alaska Native Heritage Center (they run shuttles from a few areas from downtown). Rent bikes and hit the Coastal Trail. Go to the Alaska Zoo.

If you're in town on the weekend, the Weekend Market is right at 3rd & E.

If you have a car, head south and visit Alyeska and take the tram to the top of the mountain, go to the Wildlife Conservation Center, head to Portage Glacier and take a small hike to Bryan Glacier.

Head north, stop at Eklutna and visit the spirit houses, take a walk to Thunderbird Falls. Visit the Musk Ox or Reindeer Farm up in Palmer.

Enjoy a fine meal in one of our many local restaurants.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Susan: How long does it take to get to Palmer from the airport? We will be staying in Alyeska at the end of our cruise but want to visit Palmer. We are thinking of having a shuttle from Alyeska to the airport, then renting a car and spending a night in Palmer. My great aunt lived in Anchorage and Palmer in the 1920s.

Susan: How long does it take to get to Palmer from the airport? We will be staying in Alyeska at the end of our cruise but want to visit Palmer. We are thinking of having a shuttle from Alyeska to the airport, then renting a car and spending a night in Palmer. My great aunt lived in Anchorage and Palmer in the 1920s.

Probably 65 to 75 minutes from the airport. Of course, this is all according to traffic and what DOT is doing on construction projects.

I do know they are going to be working on the Seward Highway this year in town (Dowling Road to Rabbit Creek) - so at times it will be down to one lane for repaving. Don't think there is anything highway wise going on from Anchorage to the Palmer/Wasilla area.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I second Susan's suggestion to visit the Wildlife Conservation Center and Portage Glacier. My DD and I did that and had a wonderful time. We stopped several times on the way to take in the scenery.

Another thing we absolutely loved was a Segway tour of Anchorage. It was about three hours long and DD still talks about it four years later. :D

We only had a morning in Anchorage before our return flight and inquired at the concierge desk at the Captain Cook Hotel. They provided us with discount tickets to the museum which we really enjoyed. They also recommended the 'trolley' tour (small open vehicle that might seat 20 or so people) that leaves from near the visitor center. That tour turned into one of the highlights of our trip. The guide was a drama teacher and mother of 4 or 5 who had gone to Anchorage after graduating from college in the lower 48, met, fell in love and married a local. Her stories were wonderful and just when I thought we would leave Alaska without ever seeing a moose (one of my 'must dos') as we were driving slowly through a suburban neighborhood there was one snacking on landscaping in a front yard! We stopped, the moose meander across the street and then jumped a 6 foot fence into someone's side/back yard to continue munching in peace!

I'm actually quite interested in visiting the Wildlife Conservation Center. I'm trying to stay away from renting a car during my trip though... is it possible to visit using some sort of shuttle service? Or is renting a car basically my only option?

Thanks!

I'm actually quite interested in visiting the Wildlife Conservation Center. I'm trying to stay away from renting a car during my trip though... is it possible to visit using some sort of shuttle service? Or is renting a car basically my only option?

Thanks!

I don't know anything about them but these folks do a tour to the Wildlife Conservation Cetner.

http://www.salmonberrytours.com/summer/tour/wildlife-adventure-tour/

Archived