Zip Line Excursion

On my next cruise, I really want to experience the thrill of the Zip Line. What is the BEST location to try this excursion for the first time?

I'm hoping to do the Allure of the Seas on my next trip, so that would bring me to the Eastern Caribbean.

Any suggestions!

Thanks,

Kathy

:D

The zip-line offered by the cruiselines in Puerto Vallara was the best I've been on so far. Had the most traverses and also a good variety of different types of swings and bridges. We also got to rappel off the last tree, which so far had been a unique experience.

Costa Rica also has good ziplining, at The Original Canopy Tour.

I've never ziplined in the Caribbean. Do the trees even get big enough to make it interesting? I've only done it in the jungles of either Mexico or Central America.

The zip-line offered by the cruiselines in Puerto Vallara was the best I've been on so far. Had the most traverses and also a good variety of different types of swings and bridges. We also got to rappel off the last tree, which so far had been a unique experience.

I've never ziplined in the Caribbean. Do the trees even get big enough to make it interesting? I've only done it in the jungles of either Mexico or Central America.

I'm pretty sure that the only zipline available on the Allure's eastern Caribbean itinerary is the one on the ship. On the western itinerary there is a zip line on Labadee and in Jamaica you can probably book a zipline from Falmouth. If a zip line is essential to your enjoyment of your cruise, you might want to consider a ship that includes St. Lucia on its itinerary. I did that one a few years back and enjoyed it tremendously. It is in a rain forest on the island and the trees were quite big. Also did the zipline on Allure and it was fun but very brief and not comparable to the longer ones in some of the ports.

I'm pretty sure that the only zipline available on the Allure's eastern Caribbean itinerary is the one on the ship. On the western itinerary there is a zip line on Labadee and in Jamaica you can probably book a zipline from Falmouth. If a zip line is essential to your enjoyment of your cruise, you might want to consider a ship that includes St. Lucia on its itinerary. I did that one a few years back and enjoyed it tremendously. It is in a rain forest on the island and the trees were quite big. Also did the zipline on Allure and it was fun but very brief and not comparable to the longer ones in some of the ports.

there is a zip line excursion in St. Marteen at Loterie Farms. We did this one in 2007 and it was a lot of fun

http://loteriefarm.net/

There is one in St. Maarten? I've been there a few times and was not aware of that excursion being offered.

Thanks for the input everyone. Because the eastern Caribbean may be my next itinerary, I realize I may not find the best one to go on, but I do appreciate the different options that have been mentioned.

I'm hoping in the near future to go to the Mexican Riveria again, so I will keep that one in mind.

I've been on 10 cruises and I've always wanted to try it, so it will happen on the next one...if available!

Thanks again...Happy Cruising!

Kathy

Mystic Mountain near Ocho Rios in Jamaica (about an hour from Falmouth?) was a great zipline experience. They also have a "bobsled" run and an infinity edge pool with a water slide at the top of the mountain. Don't know if you stop at Falmouth on the Eastern route though.

Falmouth is on the western Caribbean route so is not an option for the OP.

There is one in St. Maarten? I've been there a few times and was not aware of that excursion being offered.

Kathy

There's one at Lotarie (sp) Farms on St Maarten. Was there with my daughter last year and an earlier cruise and showing up as an option in July (FOS). It's much more than a zip line and includes a number of traverses of various types through the jungle. Well worth the time and the bus trip there and back is an added bonus.

Note you can't bring a camera with you but they'll take a nice picture of you if you'd like to buy it. Make sure you smile on the 1st zip.

Do not do the zipline and snorkeling excursion in Cozumel. The most disappointing excursion we ever did. The zipline was in the courtyard of a resort, no longer than the zipline on the Oasis.

I happened to stop at Montego Bay the last time I went to Jamaica and it seemed like all the excursions brought you back to Ocho Rios.

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the one to stay away from, in Puerto Rico. I will have to look for the one in St. Maarten. I am only doing the eastern caribbean because I want to go on the Oasis Class. We just did the western, again, so that is why I was aiming for the eastern caribbean.

But we do plan on other itinerary's, so I am glad to hear about your experiences in all the places mentioned. Especially the real high ones! I would think the best time on a Zip Line is height & length!

Thanks again!

Kathy

That's the kind of Zip Line experience I want, through a jungle, something exciting to see, height, want some adventure in it.

I think you want Costa Rica.

Other places with decent ziplines:

Ketchikan

St Lucia

St Maarten

Icy Strait Point also has a very long zipline....

If you do the Eastern and stop at St. Maarten and you are a real thrill seeker consider doing Loterie Tree Farms on your own.

They have an "extreme" course that they don't offer to cruise lines and it has AMAZING views. I just did this one on my recent LOS cruise.

Also when you figure out the cost of booking direct with Loterie and add in the cab ride the extreme course is about the same as the ship excursion for the smaller course.

The only problem we had was getting a cab on the way there. They all wanted to do short little quick cab rides or island tours to make more money. It is suppose to be government controlled but still had a few issues. Just keep asking and don't let yourself be forgotten.

Try to get right off the ship and head right there so you can make the earliest zip. Then you will have some time to just take in the sights at the tree farm.

thanks so much Ashley for the helpful info for St. Maarten. The last time we were there we decided to take our own tour, away from the cruise line, with a local. The unfortunate thing happened, his car would not start. We just decided that we would not take a tour that day and headed back to the ship.

I will for sure keep this information handy though, we both really enjoy St. Maarten, so this may be the thing for us to do next when we visit.

Thanks!

Kathy

Ziplining was a key excursion criteria for our cruise so we chose Western Carib as we wanted either Allure or Oasis. I have read reviews of the St. Maarten zip that said it was more climbing than zipping, and was also incredibly strenuous. The Western had a few more choices and I see a poster here mentioned one an hour from Falmouth that I am going to check out! It's probably the only "major" excursion we'll do but again, with a few more choices, as much as I love St. Maarten and St. Thomas, I'm fine with the Western itinerary and the sister ship!

Some day - Costa Rica for sure. We apparently watch "The Amazing Race" way too much!!

4 years ago on an Alaskan cruise, DH did the longest zip line (at that time) in the world at Icy Straight Point. With zip lines being more and more available, it's probably not the longest but it was great.

there is a zip line excursion in St. Marteen at Loterie Farms. We did this one in 2007 and it was a lot of fun

http://loteriefarm.net/

We also did this one and I agree that it was lots and lots of fun. It was more like aerial gymnastics than just a zip line. I am in pretty decent shape, for an old guy, and found it fairly challenging especially in the heat. But, I would do it again in a minute. :)

Oh my, Icy Straight Point sounds like a cold, cold place to be!! Someday though, probably in the month of July, I will make it to Alaska by cruise ship!

Right now, when I think of cruising, I think Palm Trees, heat, and beautiful hot days at sea!

• 5 months later...

Archived