Half Moon Caye Private Oasis - Heaven on Earth!

imluvncruzn

We we just got back from our Carnival Destiny cruise and enjoyed the Private Oasis @ HMC on May 19, 2011. It was absolutely amazing and worth every penny!

Here's an account of our experience:

We booked it in February via the Carnival website. It was $1299 for 12 people so it came out to about $110 each and had to be paid in full at time of booking. On day 2 of the cruise, I received the shore excursion ticket in an envelope in my room. It said to take the first tender at 9:30am. That day we went to the shore excursion desk to inquire about snorkel sizes, drink preferences, etc...The shore excursion rep. said we did not have to give her snorkel sizes as they provided several pair in all different sizes. She also said that it was open bar and that there was no need to request any types of beer, soda, or mixers...so we were unable to do that as well. Fast forward to Thursday...Our group met on deck 1 at approx. 9:15 am and we had to wait in a line that proceeded down the hallway where the cabins are on deck 1. We were in line with all of the rest of the people that had booked a shore excursion. The line moved very quickly and we were on the first tender with about 400 other people (very large tenders). It was AFRICA HOT that day. So hot, that had we not had the cabana I don't think we would've stayed on the beach very long. So we get on the tender and have to wait until it was completely full before they leave (probably like 12-15 minutes). We proceed to the island and begin asking how to get to the cabana. You have to walk past the Rum Runner bar and to the left and there is a walkway that leads you up to the cabana. We were all immediately thrilled, as we saw what awaited us! A hot tub, cushioned loungers with a misting fan to keep you cool, a small beach area with 4 loungers and 2 clam shells, floating mats, snorkel gear, two bathrooms and a separate full shower stall. They provided the beach towels so you don't need to bring yours from the ship. Upon arrival there was enough appetizers to feed an army...(I'll post pics of everything so you'll see what I mean.) There were I think 6 huge serving trays of guacamole, shrimp salad, salsa, lettuces, tortilla chips, brownies, cookies, some sort of pastry, and fruits. They asked us what time we would like to eat lunch but did not give us a choice of what we were eating. The chef made bbq chicken, grilled tilapia, and cheeseburgers along with a side of rice and vegetables. You could have as many as you wanted of each. There was a hanging two person hammock, a reclining cushioned two person bed, a few high top tables with stools, and one family sized table that sat 8 or 10 (can't recall but it was big). There was an iPod docking station. It wasn't very big but was loud enough to fill the cabana so we could dance! There was a private waterslide that only we could use. Note: in the am it was high tide so no problem using slide but by afternoon it was low tide and two people in our group hurt themselves coming off the slide. One of the men hit his tailbone off a rock on the bottom of ocean so just be aware and be careful because it's not very deep right there. There was also a massage room right across from the top of the slide. You have to pre-arrange for the masseuse to come from the ship if you want to use this ammenity and it costs extra. We did not partake. My ONLY criticizm of the Oasis Grand Cabana would be the options for mixed drinks. There was bud, bud light, and miller light for beer and the bartender made lots of daquiris and miami vices. The frozen drinks were good but too sweet and filling. There were not many options for other types of mixed drinks. No mixers other than soda. She said she could make me a bahama mama but it was awful. She used the concentrate of juices that they used on the ship. The bahama mama had the consistency and taste of children's pink liquid amoxicilliin. It was really bad. I'm not a beer drinker but switched to beer just because I could not tolerate any more frozen drinks. The only choices for liquors were rum and vodka (well brands). So that is the only area that needs improving. We had a hostess for the day from HAL (at least that's what her shirt said). We also had the restaurant manager, Trisna, from the Destiny, Marishel (bartender from Destiny), a private chef, a lifeguard all day, and a cabin steward who was continuously cleaning the cabana and bathrooms. There were no trampolines in the water. We asked and they said they do not have them anymore. There were lots of little tropical fish and crabs to see right near the cabana and we even saw a barracuda. The bartender left at 2:30pm and left us 12 beers and a few waters, which really didn't last too long since there were 12 of us! We packed up around 4pm and went and sat at the Rum Runner bar which is located in the little shopping plaza before you get back to the tenders. While there we did have to use our Sail and Sign cards to pay for our drinks. Oh and we each pitched in $10 each and gave it to the hostess and asked her to split it up between all the staff. All in all it was a wonderful experience and we woud do it again in a heartbeat! If you have any questions, ask away! Here are some pics:

DSCN2534.jpg.9c355a1c0a716a02fec9a3077dd743ac.jpg

DSCN2535.jpg.9154d72503b027bbacba05e59b4744da.jpg

DSCN2536.jpg.3d1f13d5efb85404761189e8c7d123fc.jpg

Thank you, Thank you for this detailed report of the Private Oasis. We will be on the Destiny in August and have the Oasis booked. I am sorry your son and friends missed the ship. I, like many others have been checking to see if you reported back. Thanks for updating us. I would be like you and miss my son terribly but it looks like you have to plan another cruise so ALL can enjoy it.

Thank you, Thank you for this detailed report of the Private Oasis. We will be on the Destiny in August and have the Oasis booked. I am sorry your son and friends missed the ship. I, like many others have been checking to see if you reported back. Thanks for updating us. I would be like you and miss my son terribly but it looks like you have to plan another cruise so ALL can enjoy it.

Thanks for your kind words! The week started off miserably but ended beautifully! We're planning to do this same cruise again within the year so my son can enjoy it with us. We loved HMC and Grand Turk was gorgeous, as well. You're going to love the Oasis!

Thanks for your kind words! The week started off miserably but ended beautifully! We're planning to do this same cruise again within the year so my son can enjoy it with us. We loved HMC and Grand Turk was gorgeous, as well. You're going to love the Oasis!

I know this is a "private island" thread :o but what did you do in Grand Turk??

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is a "private island" thread :o but what did you do in Grand Turk??

We went to the beach and set up on the free lounges that Carnival provides. We walked down the beach to Jack's Shack and had a drink. BTW...its a pretty far walk and it was like 90* that day! We then moved over to the pool at Margaritaville for the rest of the day. We were with a group of 12 adults (kid free cruise) and Margaritaville has a great party atmosphere. The only downside was that it was $22 for a beer and one mixed drink...ouch!

Great review, my group has the cabana in August and had a few questions. After reading your review some are concerned about the bar service provided. In the description it says, "Domestic and Imported beers; house pouring 'wine by the glass' (Red, White and White Zinfandel)" but you only named Domestic beer. Is it safe to say no Imported beer or wine was available? Also, the bartender leaving at 2:30 seemed rather early, can we request more time or should we double up on beer at around 2 pm?

Great review, my group has the cabana in August and had a few questions. After reading your review some are concerned about the bar service provided. In the description it says, "Domestic and Imported beers; house pouring 'wine by the glass' (Red, White and White Zinfandel)" but you only named Domestic beer. Is it safe to say no Imported beer or wine was available? Also, the bartender leaving at 2:30 seemed rather early, can we request more time or should we double up on beer at around 2 pm?

We did not have a choice of what beer was there. I went down to the shore excursion desk a few days prior and they said that we did not have to select our beer or drink choices but once we got there they only had budweiser, bud light, and miller light. We did not have any wine drinkers so not really sure about that. The liquor selection was very limited. As far as the 2:30 end time, there is no negotiating that time. We were told that the bartender and bar set up ends at 2:30 but we could stay at the cabana as long as we wanted. Yes you can stock up on beer around 2ish but the problem is how to keep it cold. It was 90 degrees out that day and the beers got warm so fast, I couldn't even finish it before it was warm. They left us 12 beers for 12 people when the bartender left which, when you think about it, was nothing....We ended up leaving the cabana at about 4:00 and going to the Rum Runner bar and drank there before getting back on the ship.

Our roll call is deciding on whether or not to do this. I have never been to HMC so am very excited to be there. The island gets such beautiful reviews. A lot of us have a regular cabana already, but half of the individuals going are kids. Do you think it is worth it?

I too am a little surprised the bartender leaves early. If we do this my share would be $500.00. I would not want to have to go to the bar and spend more money for a drink later. I know it is a choice I will have to make, but would appreciate your thoughts.

I loved your review and pictures!

Well, actually...the oasis is booked

After reading so many great reviews I thought I would book it although there is only 4 in my party. There are many others joining this cruise through a company trip and I figured I could get more to join us. Oh well, no such luck...:rolleyes:

We have a cabana which will work just fine! We'll jump on the Oasis next time for sure!

Well, actually...the oasis is booked

After reading so many great reviews I thought I would book it although there is only 4 in my party. There are many others joining this cruise through a company trip and I figured I could get more to join us. Oh well, no such luck...:rolleyes:

We have a cabana which will work just fine! We'll jump on the Oasis next time for sure!

Booked for when?

Our roll call is deciding on whether or not to do this. I have never been to HMC so am very excited to be there. The island gets such beautiful reviews. A lot of us have a regular cabana already, but half of the individuals going are kids. Do you think it is worth it?

I too am a little surprised the bartender leaves early. If we do this my share would be $500.00. I would not want to have to go to the bar and spend more money for a drink later. I know it is a choice I will have to make, but would appreciate your thoughts.

I loved your review and pictures!

We already want to go back with our kids...but I don't think I would spend the $110 each for the kids. I know they would like the slide but they wouldn't eat or drink enough to make up for spending that kind of money. There are two small water slides on the beach for the kids anyways. So my honest opinion is that when I go back with the kids, we will rent a regular cabana and enjoy HMC that way. And as far as the bartender leaving at 2:30, we had no choice. I know of another who also rented the Oasis last year and they said their bartender left at 2:30, as well.

Great review! Can you tell me how hot it got in the Oasis? I'm sensitive to heat so am deciding between a cabana with AC and fans and the Oasis.

It was very hot and sunny that day but found it very comfortable in the Oasis. It was completely shaded in there and very open and "airy". There's also a misting fan available down by the hot tub...

Archived