Border Delay website

This is an EXCELLENT website from the WA state dept of transportation; showing you what you might expect at the various crossings between BC and Washington state.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Congestion/border/TravelDelays.htm

What does it mean? Well, in general expect to wait [1½ to 3 times] longer to enter the United States than to enter Canada, and on average the 'Truck Crossing' is 20% faster than the 'Peace Arch'.

Peak Delays (midweek Mon-Thu/weekend Fri-Sun) below:

Northbound/Douglas-Peace Arch Crossing (I5/Hwy99): 19m/45m

Northbound/Pacific Hwy-Truck Crossing (SR543/Hwy15): 15m/42m

Southbound/Douglas-Peace Arch Crossing (I5/Hwy99): 68m/78m

Southbound/Pacific Hwy-Truck Crossing (SR543/Hwy15): 45m/60m

Which pretty much bears out my experiences. While you can't do anything about the North/South (except if you're an American by complaining to your politicians); but you can avoid the Douglas(Peace Arch) crossing by nipping east (2km/1½miles) to the Truck (Pacific Highway) crossing.

We are more apt to check this one, which has real-time webcams and updates (most of the time):

http://borderlineups.com/

All depends what you're looking for. I liked the WA DOT one because it shows historic values, which often is required to convince people that they need to allow a lot more time than they expect; to cross the border.

For knowing what they're like at any given time, I just listen to a new station, 1130/730/980 all have border reports every 10 mins.

We are more apt to check this one, which has real-time webcams and updates (most of the time):

http://borderlineups.com/

Yes, I was looking that site earlier today and thought it was a great resource...however not everyone has a laptop with them in the car....but it would certainly be good for anyone leaving from a nearby hotel.:)

Yep, we use it before we leave the house. :)

And we would too...but it doesn't really work for us up here...as you may have guessed.:) However, we did own a weekend home on Lummi Island for many years so we were among the original PACE participants and today remain NEXUS participants .... so we really don't worry about lines.

Archived