So what is your least favorite ship?

Planmaam

My least favorite ship is gone....the Norway. We sailed on it just before the demise. We had to wait for silverware and ice cream dishes to be washed...luckily my patience ran out, so fewer calories ingested. The pitch of the sofa (in suite) forced me to use thigh muscles, thus I felt good when strutting my stuff. It was impossible to pry the glass from the surface of the balcony, so I used one less glass to slurp sugary iced tea. Fortunately, my DH eating habits were modified while on the private island: ribs-stayed on the pig; chicken-still running around somewhere; burgers-who knows; pizza- no where to be found. As for me, I had grapes and cake for lunch. Not sure what really happened. Was told by others that some items went quickly and some were not offered. Oh, there was plenty of hotdogs, but of course fewer buns. We were able to work off the "picnic calories" while trying to find a stain free seat in one of the dancing venues. The music was bumping and we were moving. There was a lot more wrong but WE STILL HAD A GREAT CRUISE, and learned to stay away from old ships.

I do not have a "least favorite" ship. Of the ships I've sailed the one I am least likely to sail agian would be the EPIC, not that I dislike it, just many more ships and itineraries to try first!!!!

We have sailed the Majesty, Dream and Sea (all gone now), Sun, Spirit, Star, Pearl, Pride of America for a total of 14 NCL cruises and have two more booked. I have never had a bad NCL cruise but I'd say the Pearl was my least favorite ship The color scheme was so garish and the Wii in the lobby seemed weird to me.

But having said that, I'd sail her again in a minute.

I've sailed on the Dawn, Spirit, Gem, Epic, and Jewel.

The Epic was my least favorite--did not have a "being on the sea" feel to me, more like being in a big hotel. Nothing wrong with that in itself, just not what I like on a cruise ship. Did not care for the wet, confusing, hard to navigate pool deck, although the slides looked awesome and tons o' fun. No promenade deck to speak of, no public areas with huge windows or views of the ocean, lower ceilings. No "wasted" space anywhere on that ship, and it was noticeable to me. I like "wasted" open space. The courtyard complex is too big--too many villas to feel cozy and private. On the other hand, the CY lounge and restaurant were awesome and the private sun deck was sublime. The entertainment was wonderful, the 24-hour pizzas terrific. The Epic is beautiful and of course we had a great time being on a cruise. But she's just not really my cup of tea.

I loved all the other ships I've been on equally.

There is nothing snippy about your question. My reasoning is quite simple. The epic has too many passengers and does not feel like a ship to me. The "promenade" is almost completely closed in with life boats. Standing in the main "lobby' feels like an amazing Vegas hotel. I relly don't get off on floating water parks either. I have the same exact feeling about the new Behemouths of the Sea brought out by Royal Caribbean. I truly wish my budget could afford me the opportunity to sail some of the smaller more intimate ships line Seabourn.

I can compare and contrast this by telling you that my favorite ship in the NCL fleet is the Sun.

PE

I was just on the sun this past march! Loved the ship! I do like the small ships because Of the # of passengers.. I havnt been on the epic yet because it still out of my budget.. Ill stick with what i can afford.. I wanna try the epic one day just because of the shows like blue man group Tks for the reply and happy cruising!

There is nothing snippy about your question. My reasoning is quite simple. The epic has too many passengers and does not feel like a ship to me. The "promenade" is almost completely closed in with life boats. Standing in the main "lobby' feels like an amazing Vegas hotel. I relly don't get off on floating water parks either. I have the same exact feeling about the new Behemouths of the Sea brought out by Royal Caribbean. I truly wish my budget could afford me the opportunity to sail some of the smaller more intimate ships line Seabourn.

I can compare and contrast this by telling you that my favorite ship in the NCL fleet is the Sun.

PE

Ahh, John I am glad to hear you say that...I was a little concerned about the Sun, but booked her anyway, we don;t have to fly, we can drive to Port Canaveral in about 2 hrs and 15 min...so it will be great...I knew the Sun was older so i had a few doubts, but since its your favorite, Im sure it will be just fine for us.....

Exactly how I felt about the Gem. I think it was a management issue - crew just wasn't very happy, happy.

That is exactly how I felt. I kept thinking that it must be the ship where NCL puts crew who goes on performance probation or something. There were just so many visibly unhappy crew. (we were there the first week in April 2011) This is just my opinion. We LOVED all other NCL cruise we have taken.:)

We have yet to cruise on a ship that we have not fallen in love with in some way.

However, we have chosen to put off booking on NCL Epic and RCCL Oasis and Allure. We love cruise ships but we also love destinations. It seems to us that these huge ships are the destinations.

Some of our most favorite cruises have been on the smallest of ships.

We have sailed the Majesty, Dream and Sea (all gone now), Sun, Spirit, Star, Pearl, Pride of America for a total of 14 NCL cruises and have two more booked. I have never had a bad NCL cruise but I'd say the Pearl was my least favorite ship The color scheme was so garish and the Wii in the lobby seemed weird to me.

But having said that, I'd sail her again in a minute.

Your sentiments about the Pearl echo mine exactly! The garish color scheme and the Wii in the lobby - weird. But I would sail her again in a heartbeat too!

To answer the OP's question, I guess I would have to say the Pearl. We sailed on the Sky in 2003 which is one of the oldest ships in the fleet but since it was our first cruise AND because they have the forward outdoor observation deck, she wins over the Pearl in my book.

Does that mean I don't like the Pearl? Heck no - I've had a blast on every cruise and NCL knows how to do it right!

I have only been on 3 NCL ships so far, the Pearl, Sky and Gem. If I had to pick one of those, it would be the Gem. Although it is the sister ship of the Pearl, there was just something I didn't like about it. I can't put my finger on it but there it is. We loved the Pearl and the Sky is old but fun. The Gem left a little to be desired for some reason. Again, not really sure why. HOWEVER, we had a great cruise on the Gem so go figure. :)

It's funny you say that. I said that to my DH after my last visit on the Gem. I have no real problem with the ship itself, since I have sailed both the Pearl and Jewel, but there is something " missing" in the personality. You're right, you just can't put your finger on it.

Now my experience is different. Absolutely loved the Pearl. In fact, we are booked for our third cruise on her next winter. Also loved the Pride of America. We weren't very impressed with the Sun though. The buffet was small and had limited selection of food, most of it not very good. The Spanish restaurant was listed as a free alternative, but the only food there was very small tapas, not a place for a meal. The entertainment was offensive, something we didn't experience on any other cruises. And talent wasn't that great either. Had less onboard shopping opportunities, and captain didn't have much of a personality compared to other ships. Front desk kept insisting that the ship was going south when we personally watched it make a U turn and head back north for a medical emergency, which caused us to miss Guatamala, the main reason we picked this cruise in the first place. On the positive side, the restaurant wait staff and cabin attendents were hardworking and pleasant.

I have only been on the Star ( just after renovations) , Pearl, Dawn and the Epic. The Dawn was my least favorite because it was older. They seem to put the best staff on the newer ships. The room we had on the dawn was set up poorly. We were banging our knees on a table that didnt have room to be there, the closet was right up against a bed so you had to get creative in being in front of the closet and have it open. Granted, still a good time. My favorite was the Pearl but Epic was great.

Now my experience is different. Absolutely loved the Pearl. In fact, we are booked for our third cruise on her next winter. Also loved the Pride of America. We weren't very impressed with the Sun though. The buffet was small and had limited selection of food, most of it not very good. The Spanish restaurant was listed as a free alternative, but the only food there was very small tapas, not a place for a meal. The entertainment was offensive, something we didn't experience on any other cruises. And talent wasn't that great either. Had less onboard shopping opportunities, and captain didn't have much of a personality compared to other ships. Front desk kept insisting that the ship was going south when we personally watched it make a U turn and head back north for a medical emergency, which caused us to miss Guatamala, the main reason we picked this cruise in the first place. On the positive side, the restaurant wait staff and cabin attendents were hardworking and pleasant.

Im only guessing you was on a cruise b4 in march.. i know they had a med evac and missed the same port.. And the offesive entertainment comedia rod long? I love the sun Yes Rod long R rated show was just that R rated and the offesive you might of taken You were prolly warned b4 hand.. I enjoyed the sun very much and cant wait to sail on her again..

I only dislike the ships that leave port without me on them! :D In all honesty, I think each ship has its own charm and personality. Therefore, I like to keep trying different ships in the fleet. I believe there is no such thing as "Bad" cruise ship!

Exactly.

We had an amazing time on the Epic. Are there some things we would do differently if we designed it?

Sure.

But the same could be said about any ship.

I would sail on her again in a heartbeat.

I loved the Epic, but I could see how it could be a least favorite. It is a behemoth and it doesn't seem to have the charm of some of the other ships. I remember our cruise with RCCL and the main atrium was truly spectacular...on the Epic it is...adequate.

That said, it was perfect for our needs. We took a teenager with us who needed to be kept active, and a husband who can't sit still.

For me, I would also love a smaller more intimate ship. I missed being able to circle the ship on a walk. To run into the same people over and over.

But what made the Epic special was the staff, the entertainment and the destination we chose. The rooms were so comfortable..best bed ever. Loved the food, the music playing all over, the extra pay restaurants, and the general smiles I received everywhere.

Okay so I don't have a like dislike...I just have a like like.

My least favorite ship is already gone. The Dream. She was just an awkwardly laid out ship.

Ironically my mom LOVED the Dream and we sailed her once to Bermuda. Now her docking location in Bermuda was INCREDIBLE (we docked at Front Street in Hamilton) which gave me many options for nightlife BUT I couldn't stand the ship. It was too small and we were all over the place in the Atlantic on her and the sun was out. I couldn't figure out why she couldn't manage when the Spirit did so well. :cool:

I also was not a fan of Norwegian Dream's layout but now she's over in the Med somewhere and heaven knows doing what now! Lois Cruise Lines didn't buy her and only took the Majesty. :cool:

USS Coral Sea

Let me give a shout out for the Dream. We loved her, plus she was the only ship of NCL's fleet that could transit the Kiel Canal. That was a great part of the Baltic Cruise. Dream's drawback was that she didn't have enough dining rooms to accomodate (efficiently) the free style cruising concept. But she was a beautiful ship and I miss her.

Trying to pick a least favorite ship is tough because we've had a great time on all of them. Probably my least fave is the Gem, only because I don't care for the weird furniture in the lounges. But that's a minor complaint. Overall the layout of the Jewel class ships is great and their suites are the best.

I've been on the Majesty (now gone), Spirit, Dawn and Gem.

Majesty was my first...and definitely my least favorite. Out of the other three still remaining, I think I like the Spirit the least---although I would totally go on it again! I love cruising out of NOLA!

Archived