Vancouver Car Rental Advice

laiki

Hoping to get some information from the Vancouver locals, thank you in advance for your help.

I am starting to plan my cruise for May/June of 2012. I have already booked a northbound 7 day and a southbound 7 day on RCI.

This will be a honeymoon cruise for me and my then husband. Our wedding is on Sunday May 20th and we are hoping to fly into Vancouver on May 21st. Our cruise leaves on May 25th.

As you can see we have some extra time to explore Vancouver and the surrounding area. My question is whether or not a car rental would be useful?

Is the Sea to Sky highway worth driving? How much time is "lost" if you take public transit everywhere? (We are very comfortable with public transportation but sometimes it takes a lot of time) If we do rent a car is parking a problem? Do you pay for parking everywhere? What are gas prices like?

Thank you so much for your help!

I know it is early but I am a planner and I would like to know what to budget for.

There are options for getting to Whistler...but you may prefer to rent a car for the day for that trip and yes it is very much worth driving up to.

For rest of you time, no, you don't need a car...Vancouver is becoming less and less car friendly as the months go by plus you are going to spend some $25 night to park a car at a hotel and then pay parking fees at almost any attraction.

You can purchase a $9 all day transit pass which will get you close to almost all of the city's attractions. The other option is one of the now 3 HOHO's which are a great way to see the city. They each offer a 2 day package.

Here are some links for your convenience:

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.vancouverpinkbustours.com/

Thank you! Looks like we will probably take your advice and rent the car only for the drive up to Whistler.

I would agree, I work in downtown, and don't take my car. The cheapest downtown parking is $12/day (and that's a way from places you might want to see). Transit is cheap and fast (if not faster) than driving to most of the tourist places. My recommendation is buy your day pass before you even leave the airport (there's a 7-11 in the airport that sells them), and $9 will also include the Skytrain/subway into downtown from the airport.

Don't wait until you get to the platform, I don't think you can buy day passes on the platform and the one way with the airport surcharge is $8.75 (when $9 buys you a day pass ath the 7-11).

The other option is get a book of 10 two-zone transit tickets for $31.50, and just use them as you want. Each ticket is good for 90 minutes within zone 1/2 (and that's likely the only places you'll go), and it might work out better for you.

Where can you get the $9 day pass when your cruise ends in Vancouver ? Is it available at the cruise terminal ? I take it we could use it the next morn to get to the airport. We will spend one nite post cruise in Vancouver.

Where can you get the $9 day pass when your cruise ends in Vancouver ? Is it available at the cruise terminal ? I take it we could use it the next morn to get to the airport. We will spend one nite post cruise in Vancouver.

if it's a different day, you can't use it the next morning, it's a DAY pass, but if you're going to tour in the morning, and go to the airport in the afternoon that will work. If not, the single fare TO the airport is only $3.75.

You can get day passes from pretty much any newsstand, visit http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Where-to-buy-FareDealer.aspx and you can search (by name or map) of where to get them. They're also sold at the ticket machines at Skytrain.

If there are a bunch of you, or you're around for a few days; you can also buy a 10 pack of tickets called a 'FARESAVER' for $31.50, available at the same locations as the day passes.

I've been in Vancouver this past week and I can tell you that I just paid $13.50 parking tax on a $30 parking bill so having a car a pkg is expensive. A drive to Whistler would be great but why not drive to Vanc Island as well?

if it's a different day, you can't use it the next morning, it's a DAY pass, but if you're going to tour in the morning, and go to the airport in the afternoon that will work. If not, the single fare TO the airport is only $3.75.

You can get day passes from pretty much any newsstand, visit http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Where-to-buy-FareDealer.aspx and you can search (by name or map) of where to get them. They're also sold at the ticket machines at Skytrain.

If there are a bunch of you, or you're around for a few days; you can also buy a 10 pack of tickets called a 'FARESAVER' for $31.50, available at the same locations as the day passes.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know if it was 24hrs or 1 day. We will get one for Sun. then depending what we do Mon morn either buy another one or just the one way to the airport. I read about needing to validate them so could we buy 2 each at the port. Then validate one on Sun and one on Mon.

Also do you know If Blue Horizon is a decent hotel in a good location? The rate thru Hotel.com is $143 Canadian due at checkout.

Thanks Nancy

Yes the Blue Horizon is a good hotel and its location is great - right in the middle of the Robson Street shopping mecca - some call Robson our version of Rodeo Dr or Newberry Street - lot`s of restaurants etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Also do you know If Blue Horizon is a decent hotel in a good location? The rate thru Hotel.com is $143 Canadian due at checkout.

We have stayed at the Blue Horizon and we live here! We had a fabulous weekend getaway there. The hotel is unasssuming from the street, but the view was incredible. Oh my goodness, I still recall it. It was glorious! The sunrise in the morning was spectacular. If you can be assured of a higher floor, I would definitely advise you to go for it.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! May you have many happy years together.

Archived