Mysterious Refundable On Board Credits

When we got our bill on the last day of our Fascination 5/14 cruise, in addition to the tips, there were refundable onboard credits of $4 and change for each of us in the cabin (3). We didn't ask Carnival but has anyone had this happen and have any idea why we got them?

The amounts were nominal, we're just curious more than anything else.

We had that once and i asked and was told that taxes and port fees are collected at the current exchange against the US dollar at the time of booking but since exchange rates change all the time if the exchange rates are in your favor at the time of the cruise they will refund the overage.

Not sure if thats true, but that is what they told me when i inquired about the same issue.

Taxes and fees went down. I very much doubt them being port charges since port charges are included in the fare and would be thus handled separately.

If they change the add on fees and taxes, they refund the difference to your onboard account.

IF (and at my age...it is a big IF) I am remembering correctly.... port charges are based per person. BUT it is based on minimum numbers...so depending on how much the ship is booked past capacity...the rate goes down.

Carnival always figures it at the maximum and then refunds what isn't needed.

I dont think it has to do with capacity .. but thats me. I have gotten this mysteriously credit I think FOUR recent cruises. sept last year jan feb and may this year. .. cant remember last dec.

OK 4 for sure .. I find it extremely hard to believe that all of my cruises are past capacity. I know for sure Iv had it the last 3 cruises in a row. Really how could they all be past capacity.

I still would bet on my answer, but then thats me. If the fees and taxes go down you cant get them refunded prior to the cruise, not until after the cruise leaves the port so lock in what they will be. They dont refund them before because then they could go back up, so it doesnt happen until the ship leaves the dock.

We have received small credits on several cruises for a refund of taxes. It would be helpful if the statement gave a little more information for the various credits, such as the refunds, OBC, etc.

We had a refund for each person in our party for $10.40. I questioned it at guest services and they told me that it was a refund on the taxes charged.

We had the same on Pride last week and that's exactly what they told me too :)

Archived