How many of you who cruise during "hurricane season" have actually...

On our second cruise we set sail on Sunday and a hurricane hit south Florida Monday evening. The seas were a little rougher that cruise. The first formal night was changed to the next evening. They were worried about women in heels and the dancers. For the biggest part we didn't really notice. The big thing was the took all the booze off the shelves because some came crashing down on day. Plus the cases of booze in the gift shop on the legs of the displays to keep them standing up. But like I said it really didn't seem that bad.

2004 Our Caribbean Princess cruise was shortened to 5 days and those other lucky cruisers got a 9 day cruise. Hurricane Jeanne. Oh well. Met my best friend that year. We stayed in the same hotel room while the hurricane raged outside. We cruise every year during hurricane season. It's a risk we are willing to take.

Kim

..been held at sea for two extra days on our first cruise because Hurricane Rita closed the Port of Galveston. We had beautiful weather the whole time and even got to visit an extra port-of-call, Costa Maya. Then reality sunk in when we finally came back and saw the after effects of Hurricane Rita. And since I live in hurricane country it still was scary going home wondering if my house was still there. Thankfully it was.

had it effect your cruise? Like being rerouted or having rougher-than-normal seas? Or the opposite and your cruise hasn't been effected?

Just curious.

Hi MamaParrothead-enjoyed your last cruise review and helped us plan our cruise that we greatly enjoyed.

We have sailed four times in end of June up to July 7th and only one cruise was affected by an actual hurricaine. We ended up going to two unplanned ports and experienced a few torrential downpours. We came prepared with heavy duty rain ponchos,water shoes and were only ones going out shopping as everyone else was in line to get back on.

It didn't effect the seas suprisingly too much for me to get sick (very motion sick prone) and made for great conversation as we were always talking weather and the ship printed out the path of hurricaine Emily and posted at MDR entrance for the curious.

If want to cruise in summer I would suggest Southern Caribbean cruise as less likely and Curacao/Aruba ports are almost never involved in bad weather. We like sailing out of San Juan and arrive a day early to take a car ride and optional short trail hike in El Yunque rainforest. Reminds me of Jurrasic park.

I would then choose Eastern itinerary over Western.

had it effect your cruise? Like being rerouted or having rougher-than-normal seas? Or the opposite and your cruise hasn't been effected?

Just curious.

Hurricane Dennis hit during our first cruise, back in '99, and, as you can see from my signature, that has not stopped us, haha! We did miss a port, Grand Cayman, since it was too rough to tender, but we just made sure we got to that one on a later cruise, :D. I figure, since the cruise ship can move to avoid the hurricane, I would rather be there than stuck on land during one! I have had issues with seasickness, but it was no worse on that one than some others.

Our Valor cruise was totally diverted from Western Carr. to Eastern due to Hurricane Dean. As this was the storm that destroyed Costa Maya, we considered ourselves lucky. (this was one of our ports) We had a great time on Eastern, even though we had been to those islands numerous times. I told dh that we would have to book another cruise to visit the ports we missed - and we did!:p:D

Our very first cruise in 2005, we were detoured due to a hurricane. We were scheduled to go to Porgresso, Cozumel, and Belize.

In our group, two of the three families drove to Galveston. We left the KC area on Thursday morning. My DH, an amature meteorologist, had been watching the hurricane coming towards Cozumel. We checked the CCL website Thursday night, and that's how we found out about our ports were changed to the Bahamas and Key West.

On the Elation, we had very high seas one day, the outside decks were closed that night, there were lots of sick people (crew included), and the waves in Nassau the next day were "amazing" according to the kids in our group!

We had a blast!!! We always cruise in June-July. No worries!

• 1 month later...

My husband and I were on the Triumph in October 2010. We knew there was a disturbance heading our way when we left, but knew that Carnival would never put its vessel or its passengers in harm's way.

We ended up having to divert from our course to Progresso/Cozumel due to Hurricane Paula. We ended up having only one day off the boat at Key West, but made the most of it. I have to be honest, at the time, I was trippin'! The rougher seas were 'exhilirating':o, although at the time I would have said "just plain unnerving":(! I wouldn't think twice about it if it was to happen again.

What saved my frame of mind was having asked my physician for 2 nerve pills and some sea-sick patches before I left. It was not a catastrophe, and that's what being out there is all about, unexpected experiences and your phone not ringing.....

We're trying it again, same cruise, same boat, same month this year, just leaving from Galveston instead of New Orleans, cannot wait:D!

6 of my 8 cruises have been during hurricane season, but 5 of those have been before the second week of August. Most hurricanes seem to hit between the second week of August and the second week of October. When we sailed in September, we had some major rain the day before departure due to hurricane residuals and we had rough seas one night. We did not miss any ports and the ship sailed around the rain.

We were booked on the Glory...NY to St John, Canada last Sept.

Hurricane Earl could have been superimposed on the route of the ship.

It was the first hurricane to hit this area in about 20 years.

Since my husband really doesn't care for cruising, gets seasick, hates sea days, and visiting the port was my primary objective (we live 10 minutes from the port in NY...and it was really just a weekend getaway) we were no shows!

The reports back said that the sailing was rocky and all excursions were canceled due to heavy rains....

We're going to try again this year...but I'm booking about a week in advance.

Archived