Back from Alaska on Regatta???

loum140

Please, please post some trip details. How were the ports of call? Did you take any O excursions? Private tours? How was the weather? Was there anything you didn't pack that you should have? Any other tips?

We leave in a few weeks so any info you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Marsha

Having cruised Alaska three times ('84,'04 &'06), my suggestion is to bring clothes that you can layer during the day. It can be brutally hot (2004) or it can be overcast and rainy (2006).

If you have a light weight, water proof poncho, bring it along. You never know. You might need it.

DW & I will be going again in August round trip out of SF. Planning to do what I have suggested. Even though it will be getting on toward the end of summer, plan to bring sweats and a fleece jacket. Mornings on deck can be quite chilly.

Enjoy your trip. We have always loved Alaska.

BTW - if you are salmon person, there is a store on the dock in Ketchikan that sells salmon jerky, as well as different grades of smoked salmon. Hope they are still there when arrive.

Enjoy your trip. We have always loved Alaska.

BTW - if you are salmon person, there is a store on the dock in Ketchikan that sells salmon jerky, as well as different grades of smoked salmon. Hope they are still there when arrive.

Just returned on Regatta- SF/SF and yes the smoke house is still at the pier. We had no daytime rain and it was basically in the high 50's to 70..The scenery is very beautiful and rugged...but the towns in Alaska are tourist traps with NO charm. Victoria and Vancouver are a wonderful contrast.

For us nothing tops Europe and it was a one time deal as was the Panama Canal. Since we still prefer port intensive cruises the many many sea days were also a negative. The ship and service were beyond "first Class." Thanks to our butler Bogdan and the excellent speaker Terry Breene it was a most memorable trip.:)

Just back from Regatta. Coldest, windiest weather was on the ship itself. Layering works well, we usually had both a fleece and an all weather jacket, but we're from AZ and really feel the cold.

Best shore excursion, worth every penny, is the $199 Tracy Arm small boat. We had a painless transfer from the ship while in TA, about 7am. The catamaran holds about 120, and only 80 or so booked it. The ride was very smooth, and the view from close to the water spectacular. We saw hundreds of waterfalls, snow capped peaks at every turn, crunched through icebergs and bergies and got incredibly close to Sawyer Glacier's terminus and the end of Tracy Arm. Probably stayed there 40 minutes or so, saw 8 chunks calve off, felt the shock waves under the boat, saw huge chunks of blue ice resurface and roll over, one maybe the size of a railroad car. We couldn't also visit South Sawyer, as the ice was too thick, but did see it as we passed. This catamaran is the only way to see Sawyer, and it's magnificent. If you just stay on the ship, you'll need to wake up very early to see the portion of TA that Regatta navigates.

On the way back to reboarding the ship docked in Juneau, we spotted 5 black bears, a whale closer than we saw on a whale watching boat in Icy Strait, and about 35 bald eagles just posing for us on some logs on the beach. Our Captain Brian also backed us in to one of his favorite spots called the Nook, a very small space in the rock wall featuring 3 waterfalls. He got us in close enough that we could reach out and touch the water cascading down.

Of the ship tours we took, this is the best of the lot. No need to bring your binoculars along, they are provided. There is comfortable indoor space, and plenty of room up top for open air viewing. Hot drinks and a salmon snack were provided, along with very good commentary. An A+ grade all around. One of the very best ship excursions we've ever taken.

Of course, no trip is ever the same. The snow will melt and give way to lush green. We loved the contrast snow provided. Since the boat trip lasts over 6 hours, it seemed a very good value. If you have questions you can email me at lenmarlene@aol.com.

That salmon snack you mentioned....we remember a sort of salmon paste spread on small pieces of bread or crackers, not actual salmon. Is that what they served on the catamaran?

Nope, this was actual smoked salmon sitting on a Ritz, topped with pickled seaweed if you chose. I did, and it was delicious.

Marlene

Hi Marlene,

Thanks for the great description of your tour out of Tracy Arm. Did you book it before you boarded the ship? Maybe I'll take a chance and book it onboard with my OBC. I'm on the same cruise as Leonid and it sounds like the weather is pretty iffy around August or perhaps I should say in Alaska in general. My DH gets seasick so he'd be pretty miserable on a 6 hour catamaran ride if the waters are choppy. I know you said it was pretty windy onboard the ship but it didn't seem to impact your tour on the small vessel. Is that because you were traveling in protected waters like bays, coves, etc.?

And the salmon snack with pickled seaweed sounds delish!

Frances

Just returned on Regatta- SF/SF and yes the smoke house is still at the pier. We had no daytime rain and it was basically in the high 50's to 70..The scenery is very beautiful and rugged...but the towns in Alaska are tourist traps with NO charm. Victoria and Vancouver are a wonderful contrast.

For us nothing tops Europe and it was a one time deal as was the Panama Canal. Since we still prefer port intensive cruises the many many sea days were also a negative. The ship and service were beyond "first Class." Thanks to our butler Bogdan and the excellent speaker Terry Breene it was a most memorable trip.:)

We also had Bogdan as our butler! A real cutie! He had the right combination of charm, professionalism and friendliness. We miss him!

103_0847_r2_1.jpg.6d06cff66cd4c7bad92680332e07679e.jpg

Oh where, oh where is Bogdan.....we miss his cheery good monring," I have your breakfast ready" to his ever ready smile and wonderful service. He made our cruise the best vacation ever and we have been on many!!!

Hi Marlene,

Thanks for the great description of your tour out of Tracy Arm. Did you book it before you boarded the ship? Maybe I'll take a chance and book it onboard with my OBC. I'm on the same cruise as Leonid and it sounds like the weather is pretty iffy around August or perhaps I should say in Alaska in general. My DH gets seasick so he'd be pretty miserable on a 6 hour catamaran ride if the waters are choppy. I know you said it was pretty windy onboard the ship but it didn't seem to impact your tour on the small vessel. Is that because you were traveling in protected waters like bays, coves, etc.?

And the salmon snack with pickled seaweed sounds delish!

Frances

We booked on board, no problem, after we'd also taken the whale watch out of Icy Strait (also binocs provided). August can be rainy, as we previously experienced, which is why we chose the May SF -SF. The catamaran was very steady the entire way, which is protected by the cliff sides, and even in the Inside Passage from TA to Juneau it was smooth sailing. If you choose to do this, there are seats in the middle of the cat where it is steadiest, and your DH should be fine sitting there and still have a great view. It's not crowded, and moving about is quite easy.

Could not disagree with you more if I had to. I did not find any of the Alaskan towns to be tourist traps. Sitka & Ketchikan do have charm... agree about Juneau. Victoria & Vancouver...well I might agree with you about the former...the latter, nothing more than a big city still trying to be European.

Regarding your fascination with Europe, if I ever see any part of it again, it will be too soon. And we prefer a cruise that is not port intensive. The Canal cruise is just right. Eight days cruising and eight days in port. And Alaska suits are need perfectly.

Why anyone would pay top dollar for a suite and want to visit a port everyday is beyond me. Why not take a 14 day river cruise if one is so enamored with Europe.

Could not disagree with you more if I had to. I did not find any of the Alaskan towns to be tourist traps. Sitka & Ketchikan do have charm... agree about Juneau. Victoria & Vancouver...well I might agree with you about the former...the latter, nothing more than a big city still trying to be European.

Regarding your fascination with Europe, if I ever see any part of it again, it will be too soon. And we prefer a cruise that is not port intensive. The Canal cruise is just right. Eight days cruising and eight days in port. And Alaska suits are need perfectly.

Why anyone would pay top dollar for a suite and want to visit a port everyday is beyond me. Why not take a 14 day river cruise if one is so enamored with Europe.

OK, different strokes for different folks...We do make VERY good use of our suite and butler as we are almost always are back on board for lunch in the MDR and most often have dinner "with the view" in the suite.;)

That's why we have rocky road and cherry vanilla for choices. We on the other hand love port intensive cruises and that is one of the reason we sail with Oceania to all parts of the world. Just came back from Dubai to Athens -- 4 days at sea together was a little much -- but then had 4 days of pure adventurous touring!!! As for paying top dollar for a suite and wanting to visit a port every day is for some people. Others like you Leonid prefer to have your suite and eat in it too - no pun intended!!! If I want 8 days at sea I go to the Caribbean and on a repositioning cruise. I don't think we can judge anyone by what makes them happy. I love Europe as well as Asia, and the MIddle East and South America!!!

We'll see you in Alaska Leonid! ;) Arlene

I was really anxious to hear about the ports, the tours and especially the weather, both on board and ashore. We sail in just a few weeks but are also doing a pre and post cruise stay (Denali and Vancouver) so packing and portability are real issues. I'm really not sure what to take (lined hooded jacket or thin rain proof shell over fleece? Jeans, capris, shorts? Sneakers or leather hiking shoes?) I know about layering, but any first-hand experience from your sailing would be appreciated.

Thanks Marlene for that wonderful description of the Tracy Arm excursion. But I can't seem to find it anywhere in our package from Oceania. Was it from Juneau?

I was really anxious to hear about the ports, the tours and especially the weather, both on board and ashore. We sail in just a few weeks but are also doing a pre and post cruise stay (Denali and Vancouver) so packing and portability are real issues. I'm really not sure what to take (lined hooded jacket or thin rain proof shell over fleece? Jeans, capris, shorts? Sneakers or leather hiking shoes?) I know about layering, but any first-hand experience from your sailing would be appreciated.

Thanks Marlene for that wonderful description of the Tracy Arm excursion. But I can't seem to find it anywhere in our package from Oceania. Was it from Juneau?

For those of us who are taking our 1st cruise to Alaska and on Oceania - we would really like to hear about the questions posted in loum140's post above. Also, how was the food, in general, as well as any tours you may have taken provided either by the ship or a private operator?

There was a separate listing for Tracy Arm, just before the Juneau excursions, in our booklet. I remember also finding it online also under Tracy Arm as the port.

Being from AZ, we really feel the cold, so we took turtlenecks, fleece and mid weight jackets and often wore all of them as our layers. Never did use the long underwear tops we packed. We did also take a light rain jacket, but didn't need it. Indoors on the ship it was actually more comfortable than when the AC was blasting on previous cruises, but the open decks were very windy and chilly most of the time. Although we did use the walking track several times, the gym can be a better choice. And there were some very hardy souls in the pool.

As for what we did in ports, in Victoria we took the Butchard Gardens tour and loved it. The long drive there showed us something of the area and the driver/guide kept our interest. We loved the huge display of colorful tulips. ***** Sitka we did a walking tour that included the fascinating Raptor Center, Tongass National Park, the port area and St. Michaels. Good guide, learned a lot about the Russian heritage of Sitka. We picked Hoonah for whale watching, and while our pix don't show it, we saw quite a few, plus porpoises, viewing from a comfortable and steady boat. Binoculars were provided and were very good. Did hear that those who did whale watching in Sitka saw a lot of them.

We prebooked Skagway's RR and Suspension Bridge, and actually preferred the bus portion over the RR, though both are interesting. The town is still very small, about the same population as when we first were there about 1980. While it's mostly jewelry and souvenir shops, there are some historical aspects and buildings that fascinate. It's a short walk to town, or there is a shuttle available. We took the 11:45 excursion thinking it would be a bit warmer for us.

We only walked about in Juneau because we didn't return from Tracy Arm until after 1pm, and we'd been to Juneau before. Still looks like a small town, but it's nestled in the mountains. You can easily find tours to Mendenhall just off the pier, and the ticket office for Mt. Roberts Tramway is also right there. More jewelry shops than you can imagine, lots of souvenir shops too. We liked one called Invisible World and found s9me treasures there to share with friends and family.

Ketchikan's tour was Totems and Potlatch, and while interesting, is one we don't recommend. Both Totem Bight and the privately owned Potlatch Park are adjacent, but the bug attack we endured there made being there very unpleasant.

We've been to Vancouver several times, and decided to walk to Stanley Park. Let me tell you that it is a very, very long walk. We returned via the No. 19 bus. You need Canadian money for this, and we just exchanged $5 US at the Information/snack booth in the park. The bus dropped us off near Gastown, which we found even more disappointing than last time, and we chose not to walk to nearby Chinatown. We remember the Aquarium in Stanley Park as being very interesting. You can easily do this on your own. We heard several comments that the HOHO buses just outside the terminal offered very good tours.

We rented a car in Astoria, and the Enterprise clerk suggested Cannon Beach over Seaside where the ship's tours go. We ended up going to both, and much preferred Cannon Beach. Pierside, we were welcomed by many volunteers, and there is a booth offering tram rides for $7. These take you along the river walk and to downtown. If you're not renting a car, this would be a good alternative.

Almost all the ports offered tour alternatives. We chose mostly ship tours because of our OBC and were generally pleased. If your cruise is anything like ours, you will be happy to find many passengers who have made multiple trips to Alaska, and who will be glad to talk about what they like in the ports.

Also, if Terry Breen is your lecturer, don't miss her presentations. She's extremely knowledgeble, and the film she obtained for us about Ripple Rock's demolition in the late 1950s absolutely fascination.

Hope this helps. If you have specific questions you can email me at lenmarlene@aol.com. Marlene

I really hope Terry Breen will still be on board for the June 29 sailing from Anchorage, but I recently read on the Regent forum that she will be returning to Regent Navigator at the end of June. She normally sails on Regent.

I'm really not sure what to take (lined hooded jacket or thin rain proof shell over fleece? Jeans, capris, shorts? Sneakers or leather hiking shoes?) I know about layering, but any first-hand experience from your sailing would be appreciated.

The key to dressing for off the ship in Alaska in July is, as you say, layers. We've had both low 40s/drizzle and 80s/clear skies in the same day. We've had torrential rain. We've had gloriously beautiful days. We even had snow one day in Denali! Since the weather can vary so dramatically and change so quickly, layers is the way to go. The top layer should be a hooded, breathable and waterproof shell - Goretex or the like. For the second layer we like fleece. Third and 4th layer are personal choice. We carry light day packs in which we store the currently unwanted layers. Do tuck a pair of gloves and a knit cap into your luggage - it can be cold up close to a glacier. Jeans or chinos are de rigueur. We also each take a pair of water resistant cargo pants that have legs that zip off to become shorts. The best all-around shoes are low top ballistic nylon "hiking shoes." They are fine around town but can handle a muddy trail. Regardless of what you choose, it can all be casual. The only people in ties & suits a cruiser is likely to meet in Alaska are non-Alaskans trying to sell you stuff not made in Alaska. If your luggage allows it, "resort wear" is fine for the ship, but don't wear it ashore. Any specific questions?

I really hope Terry Breen will still be on board for the June 29 sailing from Anchorage, but I recently read on the Regent forum that she will be returning to Regent Navigator at the end of June. She normally sails on Regent.

I haven't read the Regent forum recently, as we are concentrating on Oceania's Alaska voyages, but the reports of Terry Breen being the Alaska destination lecturer on Regatta's Summer 2011 Voyages was widely reported in press releases quoting Bob Binder and it would be a very big disappointment to many who booked the Alaska voyages on Regatta who are expecting for her to be onboard.

I tried to link to a specific file, and the link doesn't work, but try this:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=terry+breen+will+lecure+regatta&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9b40c92e3693f9d6&biw=1062&bih=664

Wow - what a wonderful trip that was! We loved every min. of it. We did the Butchart Garden ships tour and it was great. All of the other tours we did we booked on our own.

In Sitka we booked Captain Davey (puffinsandwhales.com) and did a four hour amazing tour - we saw whales and puffins and sea lions up close and the most beautiful scenery. Capt. Davey was wonderful - you couldn't ask for a better tour guide.

In Icy Strait Point we booked a whale watching trip with Glacier Wind Charters and once again, we were not disappointed. Highly recommend them; lots of whales and great capt.

In Skagway we did the train up and van back with Chilkoot Charters and had another great day. We loved the train and coming back in the van we saw two black bears (one of them came up to our door and looked like he wanted to come in). Our driver (tour guide) was great with lots of good info.

In Juneau went to Mendenhall Glacier - the bus wasn't running till in the afternoon so we hired a car and driver for $60.00 and she took us to the Glacier and gave us a nice tour of the town. Also in Juneau there is a wonderful, small jewelry store off the main street "Jim Hopkins". He has beautiful jewelry made from fossilized ivory from tusks of walrus and mammoth ivory. Always look for Alaska owned in the window of shops.

Ketchikan was a flight seeing tour with Michelle from Island Wings. Another awesome day spent flying over the glaciers and landing on a lake with nothing but silence and beauty surrounding us.

Clothing like everyone has said - dress in layers. I wore a fleece top most days with a fleece vest and a light gore tex jacket (although it didn't rain until we got to San Francisco). Just check the weather forecast every day before you head out and you'll know how to dress.

Bring gloves and hat or ear warmers if you do any boat tours (and hopefully you will!). They give the forecast the night before in the "Current" mag.

The ship, food and service are as good as they were a few years ago when we sailed on the Regatta - we couldn't ask for more. So you all go and enjoy your cruise, I wish I could do it all again.

How full have the Alaska sailings been so far? I hope Oceania does very well with them this year.

They haven't been sailing empty due to some very clever marketing

"ala Rodriguez" rodriguez.jpg.

Still, it is safe to say that if you want to sail to Alaska on Oceania, NOW IS THE TIME TO DO IT.

You'll never see anything like these prices or On Board Credits again.

Thanks so much for posting. It was exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Now hoping someone posts on the more northern ports of call (Anchorage, Homer, Seward) and possibly Denali pre- or post-cruise? Thanks again 8mma - glad you enjoyed. I'm sure we will as well. Marsha

How full have the Alaska sailings been so far? I hope Oceania does very well with them this year.

The first one was full, but only about 20% of the passengers were past Oceania cruisers...A very different demographic due to the big discounts.

The second one was also due to be full according to our butler.

Archived