Back from Alaska on Regatta???

loum140

Those of you who have done the SF-SF cruise---were the waters rough going from SF to Canada?

The three times we've done SF-SF the seas were not bad at all. In fact, returning from Canada in 1984, it was down right hot as we cruised down the coast. And the sea was very calm.

If you have never sailed the inside passage, it will seem like you're on a lake. Hardly any movement, beautiful scenery & hopefully great weather.

The three times we've done SF-SF the seas were not bad at all. In fact, returning from Canada in 1984, it was down right hot as we cruised down the coast. And the sea was very calm.

If you have never sailed the inside passage, it will seem like you're on a lake. Hardly any movement, beautiful scenery & hopefully great weather.

The Inside Passage, fror us, was the highlight of the whole trip.:)

How nice that some people know everything there is to know about Alaska. For the rest of us i can only say that Terry Breen was an invaluable asset who greatly improved the experience of sailing through Alaska.

How nice that some people know everything there is to know about Alaska. For the rest of us i can only say that Terry Breen was an invaluable asset who greatly improved the experience of sailing through Alaska.

She was by far the best informed, best speaker we have ever encountered at sea.:)

Didn't say that I know everything about Alaska. If it was /is my first time, then someone like Terry Breen would be an asset. I say again, after three trips north, I don't anyone to hold my hand. Then again, for first time cruisers a bit of research on the web couldn't hurt. There is much about Alaska to know before you go...that is if one is so motivated...and there many who are not.:Please feed me is not my thing.

I would venture to say that most cruisers to Alaska are on their first trip there, not their third, so Terry Breen would be an asset to the majority of passengers.

It is a shame that O's Alaska cruise did not fit into our calendar this year as it is unlikely that they will do Alaska again anytime soon. It sounds like you enjoyed it Henry.

The price was certainly right this year.

Too many cruises, not enough time (or money)...:)

I would venture to say that most cruisers to Alaska are on their first trip there, not their third

Not so fast. We know people who have done Alaska 6 times and are booked to go again. Lots of people who have gone 2 or 3 times. :rolleyes:

Personally I don't get it. There are so many places I want to go, but they just keep going to the same place over and over and over again. Think Groundhog Day!

For years I refused to go to Alaska on principle as it seemed like that was the only place people around here wanted to go! Would have loved to go this year but just couldn't fit it in.

Mo

Not so fast. We know people who have done Alaska 6 times and are booked to go again.

Do I know you? ;) :D

Many people have done the Caribbean (most islands are pretty similar) half a dozen times or more, and that's what I don't get. Different strokes for different folks. Alaska is gorgeous; you just need to get away from the touristy port areas in some of the towns. And you have scenic cruising on an Alaska cruise that you don't get in the Caribbean. If I want to lie flat as a pancake in the sun, I just go outside when it is sunny or drive to a beach and hang out.

There are shore excursions in Alaska that people rave about for the rest of their lives.

Do I know you? ;) :D

Many people have done the Caribbean (most islands are pretty similar) half a dozen times or more, and that's what I don't get. Different strokes for different folks. Alaska is gorgeous; you just need to get away from the touristy port areas in some of the towns. And you have scenic cruising on an Alaska cruise that you don't get in the Caribbean. If I want to lie flat as a pancake in the sun, I just go outside when it is sunny or drive to a beach and hang out.

There are shore excursions in Alaska that people rave about for the rest of their lives.

Actually, we have done the Caribbean about 40 times, and will go 2 or 3 more times over the next year. The cruise itself is the experience in a place like the Caribbean, not the ports for us. If we want to sightsee and explore, we go on land trips, where you actually spend more than a few hours in each place. As you said, different strokes for different folks.

Actually, we have done the Caribbean about 40 times, and will go 2 or 3 more times over the next year. The cruise itself is the experience in a place like the Caribbean, not the ports for us. If we want to sightsee and explore, we go on land trips, where you actually spend more than a few hours in each place. As you said, different strokes for different folks.

I think we agree that sightseeing and exploring is better on land-based trips and also that cruising, which we enjoy very much, is more for the cruise experience itself. Since we are California based and you are Florida based, it makes sense that you would tend to want to cruise out of your homeport as much as possible and that we would, likewise, want to cruise out of ours as much as possible. :)

It's nice to get a taste of a port on a cruise, but for really getting to know a place, you need to spend a few days, and certainly to spend the night, too.

I think we agree that sightseeing and exploring is better on land-based trips and also that cruising, which we enjoy very much, is more for the cruise experience itself. Since we are California based and you are Florida based, it makes sense that you would tend to want to cruise out of your homeport as much as possible and that we would, likewise, want to cruise out of ours as much as possible. :)

It's nice to get a taste of a port on a cruise, but for really getting to know a place, you need to spend a few days, and certainly to spend the night, too.

On this, we are 100% in agreement

• 4 weeks later...
The itineraries are out for 2012

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/default.aspx

NO ALASKA

It did not seem to be a big seller in spite of all the requests

Wasn't it in the top 5 suggested itineraries as picked by Oceania execs and then voted as one of top 3 by CC members (and thus a winner for a lucky someone)?

Wasn't it in the top 5 suggested itineraries as picked by Oceania execs and then voted as one of top 3 by CC members (and thus a winner for a lucky someone)?

Our Alaska cruise only had about 20% repeat cruisers as opposed to 70+% on other O cruises. That should tell you something about O cruisers and the need for an Alaska season.

Exactly

then there were some pretty big discounts

I would have preferred a New England /Canada route in the spring early summer & not during hurricane season ;)

Honestly, I cannot get over the feeling that since this is our first Oceania cruise-Alaska July 23- we must be invited to join this sacred club and be given a password as well as a secret handshake!We have sailed well over 50 times and for the life of me, I cannot see how the staff will have to work overtime simply because I have not sailed "O" before. My oh my, please get over yourselves!I have been on other premium lines and even a luxury line or two. We are well travelled, live within commuting distance to NYC and have been all over the world.I promise you, I am not an embarassment to you or those you travel with.I am sure that all you elitists out there had to have a "first time" as well!

Karen

No, Oceania is not repeating Alaska.

Having just returned from Alaska on Regatta I am very sorry to hear this. Our ship was full and it was a wonderful way to "meet" Alaska.

To find the beauty in Alaska, one only has to go ashore and look at the mountains, trees and snow surrounding one. Very unlike some European & other cities where one must drive or tour-bus (often a long way) to see anything worthwhile.

Tours which take one into surrounding areas are the icing on the cake & often not far away. Even getting to the tour destination involves breathtaking scenery.

We were new to Oceania & found many repeat Oceania cruisers on this trip. Everyone we talked to was very enthusiastic about Alaska. A number of them said they had inquired about future Alaska cruises. Go figure!

Honestly, I cannot get over the feeling that since this is our first Oceania cruise-Alaska July 23- we must be invited to join this sacred club and be given a password as well as a secret handshake!We have sailed well over 50 times and for the life of me, I cannot see how the staff will have to work overtime simply because I have not sailed "O" before. My oh my, please get over yourselves!I have been on other premium lines and even a luxury line or two. We are well travelled, live within commuting distance to NYC and have been all over the world.I promise you, I am not an embarassment to you or those you travel with.I am sure that all you elitists out there had to have a "first time" as well!

Karen

:confused:

I am not sure I understand your post - what am I missing here?

Could you please tell me what or whom you are referring to; what is this post in reply to?

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your cruise. If I recall, you were a little concerned about flying in the day of the cruise, so I'm assuming all went well.

My DH and I are going on our first Oceana cruise later this month and are really looking forward to it. We are doing the Anchorage to Vancouver trip as well. I did have a question regarding disembarkation in Vancouver - are you able to carry your own luggage off? If not, do you recall how early folks can disembark? We are scheduled for a 9:00 AM Quick Shuttle to Seattle and I'm a little concerned about making it.

Honestly, I cannot get over the feeling that since this is our first Oceania cruise-Alaska July 23- we must be invited to join this sacred club and be given a password as well as a secret handshake!

Karen

I have no idea what the heck you are on about

What club?

It is not like you are new to CC so that cannot be it

I agree with PaulChili (once again) :D

Lyn

Archived