Back from Alaska on Regatta???

loum140

There is often a bit of hysteria on CC boards...don't know why...Oceania gets it a lot less than some other boards, which is very good & why we sail with them.

We are just off Regatta Anchorage to Vancouver & we had a great time - esp our pre-cruise experience in Denali. That was the highlight of our trip. Other stops, particularly Wrangell, were such quiet towns that they begged the question - why did we stop here?

Still, a great experience & any 12 days I spend on Oceania are 12 good to great days.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your cruise. If I recall, you were a little concerned about flying in the day of the cruise, so I'm assuming all went well.

My DH and I are going on our first Oceana cruise later this month and are really looking forward to it. We are doing the Anchorage to Vancouver trip as well. I did have a question regarding disembarkation in Vancouver - are you able to carry your own luggage off? If not, do you recall how early folks can disembark? We are scheduled for a 9:00 AM Quick Shuttle to Seattle and I'm a little concerned about making it.

The trip is wonderful - you will enjoy it immensely.

Toward the end of the cruise, they give you a disembarkation form to fill out. If you want to carry your own luggage off - just fill in the part that pertains to that and add that you have a 9 a.m. shuttle scheduled. I don't think you will have a problem. As I recall, everyone had to be off by 9 a.m.

If not, do you recall how early folks can disembark? We are scheduled for a 9:00 AM Quick Shuttle to Seattle and I'm a little concerned about making it.

You must wait until the ship is cleared before anyone can get off

What time you dock & the time the ship clears is another matter

Could be 30 min could be hours

Did I read correctly that someone with a screen name which includes the self-proclaimed title "Queen" says Oceania cruisers should "get over themselves?"

(Sorry, I tried, but I really could not resist.. :) :D )

I'm new to Oceania as well, and looking very much forward to our first cruise next month despite some detected disdain of the philharmonic kind that I have also noticed, as if a greater proportion of new-to-Oceania cruisers on the West Coast cruises is a bad thing, which of course it is quite the opposite. Ask marketing. :)

Oceania has not lost its base of past customers, but with the summer in Alaska has brought a lot of new clientele to experience what Oceania has to offer.

No one who has cruised Oceania in the past should be any more important to Oceania than their newest customers, as past loyalty is not indicative of continued future loyalty above and beyond future customers who may prove to be equally or more loyal than those who have sailed before.

I am "Queen" simply because I could never be a princess! The connotation that surrounds princess is quite negative. I look at queen as a philanthropic position! I rule my kingdom with nothing but equality for the masses, and that is what I expect here on the boards. When I wrote... get over yourselves.. I meant that even us lowly first time Oceania cruisers deserve a modicum of respect and no one ever needs to refer to you or me as another demographic???

Karen

We are on the Aug. 26th S.F. to S.F. Hooray!

Thanks to everyone who gave ideas and suggestions for the Alaska trip. I saw one post who mentioned wearing sweat pants/shirt to sit on the balcony. I see other posters mention smooth sailing.

Will some of you comment on the balcony experience and if there is a better time of day or particular area that usually offers pleasant time to sit outside. I know nothing can be predicted but we love to sit out on our balcony and are hoping others have enjoyed the same on Regatta this Alaska season.

Lynne

We just returned off Regatta this week. Had 6090 which is a rear facing extended balcony. Weather was on the cool side, I spent up to 20 minutes while under way, mostly standing to get the best views.

While the pool was heated only the most adventurous went in. There was some hot tub use, but lounge chairs were always available.

We are on the Aug. 26th S.F. to S.F. Hooray!

Thanks to everyone who gave ideas and suggestions for the Alaska trip. I saw one post who mentioned wearing sweat pants/shirt to sit on the balcony. I see other posters mention smooth sailing.

Will some of you comment on the balcony experience and if there is a better time of day or particular area that usually offers pleasant time to sit outside. I know nothing can be predicted but we love to sit out on our balcony and are hoping others have enjoyed the same on Regatta this Alaska season.

Lynne

You will have a wonderful time. Just got back a few days ago. The weather will dictate what you wear on the balcony. Just be prepared to pile it on or take it off. Another thing - we had a balcony aft on Deck 7. When in port, we could always sit on the balcony looking at the view which we did when we pulled into port each a.m. In Ketchikan, our balcony overlooked one of the main streets so close it was almost in our cabin. Fun!

Lynn: Just back from Alaska. Used Balcony every single day - early a.m. to check weather and watch as we sailed into each beautiful port and mid-day-to-evening to gaze at the magnificent mountains all around us, look for bald eagles, whales, dolphins and take pix. It was a fabulous trip. Really unforgettable. I am so glad we had a balcony.

As Wannaknow said, layer up. On deck at College Fjord it was long sleeve Tee, fleece hoodie, fleece zip jacket, hooded rain coat, fleece cap, gloves and scarf! All at once - and I have pictures to prove it. (After those two days at sea, we didn't need the cap, scarf or gloves again.) For me the light weight fleece hoodie and/or a fleece vest were essential everyday wear, though layers came off when the sun came out and went back on when it drizzled. I was comfortable in jeans every day. By the way, great prices on fleece in Ketchikan.

Also - Regatta now has heat lamps in the ceiling at outdoor areas like Terrace/Tapas aft tables, Waves and the Patio sitting area and they provided light weight fleece throws on lounge chairs by the pool.

Enjoy!!! Marsha

Lynn

On the west coast we are having one of the coolest summers we have had in years. The locals are grumbling about the lack of summer. This is usually the only time of the year when we don't grumble about the weather. It has been mainly cloudy and showers for the majority of the summer. They are going to get hit hard up the North Coast this next week and possibly the next. Maybe by August the weather will have improved. One can only hope.:rolleyes:

I must have been lucky. When I ended my Alaska cruise in Vancouver on June 7th we had two days of great weather. I loved Vancouver btw. Stayed in a great hotel, ate in a spectacular restaurant and enjoyed every minute there.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on your balconies. We don't mind a bit having to wear layers to sit out. Probably the weather that might challenge that is wind and rain. Sorry the west coast is cooler this year and I, too, hope there will be a change to warmer temperatures for the rest of summer and the beginning of fall.

Lynne

We don't mind a bit having to wear layers to sit out. Probably the weather that might challenge that is wind and rain. Sorry the west coast is cooler this year and I, too, hope there will be a change to warmer temperatures for the rest of summer and the beginning of fall.

I just took a look at Skagway and it's 77° there today and will be warming up the rest of the week. They are expecting a high of 81° on Wednesday!

http://www.weathercity.com/us/ak/skagway/

I must have been lucky. When I ended my Alaska cruise in Vancouver on June 7th we had two days of great weather. I loved Vancouver btw. Stayed in a great hotel, ate in a spectacular restaurant and enjoyed every minute there.

You were lucky. We had some good weather early June, and then again early July and since then cool, wet, cloudy. Today so far at least it is not raining. We have had heavy downpours and thunder and lightening storms. Unusual for the summer.

Lynn: Just back from Alaska. Used Balcony every single day - early a.m. to check weather and watch as we sailed into each beautiful port and mid-day-to-evening to gaze at the magnificent mountains all around us, look for bald eagles, whales, dolphins and take pix. It was a fabulous trip. Really unforgettable. I am so glad we had a balcony.

As Wannaknow said, layer up. On deck at College Fjord it was long sleeve Tee, fleece hoodie, fleece zip jacket, hooded rain coat, fleece cap, gloves and scarf! All at once - and I have pictures to prove it. (After those two days at sea, we didn't need the cap, scarf or gloves again.) For me the light weight fleece hoodie and/or a fleece vest were essential everyday wear, though layers came off when the sun came out and went back on when it drizzled. I was comfortable in jeans every day. By the way, great prices on fleece in Ketchikan.

Also - Regatta now has heat lamps in the ceiling at outdoor areas like Terrace/Tapas aft tables, Waves and the Patio sitting area and they provided light weight fleece throws on lounge chairs by the pool.

Enjoy!!! Marsha

In my 12 years here in Northern Nevada, I've never had to put on as much clothing during the worst winter as you did in Alaska. Even the 9 months I spent at Minot A.F.B. didn't require that much clothing...nor my 3 previous trips to Alaska...can't wait to see what the 8/26 sailing holds.

In my 12 years here in Northern Nevada, I've never had to put on as much clothing during the worst winter as you did in Alaska. Even the 9 months I spent at Minot A.F.B. didn't require that much clothing...nor my 3 previous trips to Alaska...can't wait to see what the 8/26 sailing holds.

Leonid, it depends on your tolerance of cold. I wore as much as loum140 when we saw the glaciers, but then we're from California. It sounds as you have good cold tolerance. I'll be interested to hear what weather your sailing has. If we are lucky enuf to go back, I would go later in the year to see the salmon spawning. Really missed seeing any salmon at Ketchikan.

Leonid, it depends on your tolerance of cold. I wore as much as loum140 when we saw the glaciers, but then we're from California. It sounds as you have good cold tolerance. I'll be interested to hear what weather your sailing has. If we are lucky enuf to go back, I would go later in the year to see the salmon spawning. Really missed seeing any salmon at Ketchikan.

Even though I grew up in Western Massachusetts, I did spend 30 years in the San Jose area before relocating to the Reno area. Just seem to have a tolerance for cold...snow...NO:(

The weather has been really crazy this year everywhere, so I'm just glad we will be departing for our Alaska cruise from our home port of San Francisco, so we can take a little bit of everything.

I feel confident that Alaska won't feel all that cold to us this time, though, especially compared to our first Alaska cruise, which had us surrounded by ice and glaciers in Glacier Bay in October.

We had a fantastic time on Regatta on the June 29th sailing. It was especially great to see some old friends and meet some really neat new ones -- too many to mention -- you all know who you are!

It was kind of cold, especially for us Floridians, but we left Florida on May 1 and worked our way West -- snow in our campsite in Yellowstone on June 3 -- and slowly got acclimated to the colder weather -- it's scary to say that we didn't mind it too much! It was also good practice for our trip home so far -- snow in our campsite at Crater Lake National Park on July 16! This really has been an unseasonably cold Summer.

The cruise was wonderful, Regatta was in perfect shape, the food was great, the staff was great, trivia was loads of fun, and the fellow guests -- as usual -- were the best at sea.

Betsy won a bottle of Champagne (or maybe Sparkling Wine) for having been raised just 15 miles from Cruise Director Dotty's home town, Dotty and I went to the same college (several decades apart), and the comedian, Tom Drake, had a lot of fun with our home town of Okeechobee, where he had actually had a gig in a red neck bar when he was first starting out.

The ports were OK -- several were outstanding, and we saw every type of wildlife except a wolf -- but as usual, the ship was our real destination.

Too bad they won't be going back next year -- I think they made the decision in too much haste -- maybe they'll reconsider in years to come.

We should be home around Sept 1, and I'll be more active again -- internet is spotty while on the road.

And this is the great benefit of having a balcony - as when the College Fjords scroll past your cabin you don't have to do more than roll over to observe the show. I am not proud of this, but truly this is the reason to have a balcony on an Alaska cruise, & that must be on the port side.

We never regretted it & ESPECIALLY were thankful for our portside cabin!

We were also on the Regatta that left Anchorage on 29th June. What an amazing cruise. I enjoyed it far more than I anticipated. We were in cabin 7114 and I used the balcony all of the time. It was so peaceful watching the world go by. Saw lots of sealife and really enjoyed sitting out there at about 10pm in broad daylight -that took a bit of getting used to!

I rugged up as I feel the cold and was amazed one day when the sun poked out and people were sunbaking by the pool. It was only about 15C and I was in my warm jacket!

The only thing I would have packed were some thermal leggings as my jeans didnt quite do the job for keeping my legs warm.

Kellie

• 2 weeks later...
Too bad they won't be going back next year -- I think they made the decision in too much haste -- maybe they'll reconsider in years to come.

I agree with you, and I hope that Oceania will come back and do Alaska sailings in the future. I think it hurt both Crystal and Oceania that they picked the same year to do Alaska, at least for the early season sailings.

From what I can tell, the summer sailings are doing just fine.

I really hope that Oceania will come back to our homeport of San Francisco again in 2013, for Alaska and any other itinerary they choose. :)

Archived