Plane eats

believer33323

And the ironic thing is that a fruit pie has just as much "liquid" as a cream pie. Unless you're talking about a rock hard pecan pie, fruit pies are the same idea as cream pies--sometimes even more liquid-y.

That's my point, the TSA doesn't have a clue and are as useful as a hole in the fuselage when it comes to protecting us. I guarantee that FAR more threats are stopped before they even get to the airport by the FBI/CIA/NSA through intelligence--something the TSA seems to be incredibly lacking in.

Think about it this way, TSA requirements for hire are a GED and can pass a background check. Yeah, those are some real rocket scientists we've got in charge.

You need to understand that the TSA is basically political and is ultimately run by the politicians. They cannot do anything that makes sense because that would then upset one person, some rights group or organization. one person brings a ink toner cartridge so then the next day the TSA says you cannot bring a toner cartridge. (since then changed) Israel has one of the best programs in the world, but we cannot use it because it infringes on our rights, (They Profile) Better to profile then to get killed I say.

You need to understand that the TSA is basically political and is ultimately run by the politicians. They cannot do anything that makes sense because that would then upset one person, some rights group or organization. one person brings a ink toner cartridge so then the next day the TSA says you cannot bring a toner cartridge. (since then changed) Israel has one of the best programs in the world, but we cannot use it because it infringes on our rights, (They Profile) Better to profile then to get killed I say.

Trust me, I'm well aware of how it all works. Your tax dollars at waste. For anyone who actually believes the illusion of safety the TSA prtrays to many of the sheeple, I have a bridge for sale, I'll make you a great deal.

I have no problem with profiling. None at all. Personally I think that anyone who flies should have to submit to a background check. I have--that's why I have a FLY CLEAR card. To have taken that step and still have some snot nosed high school drop out give me a hard time because he doesn't know his own agencies published rules or thinks that his mall copness can make them up as he chooses--four words: Get me a supervisor.

To have taken that step and still have some snot nosed high school drop out give me a hard time because he doesn't know his own agencies published rules or thinks that his mall copness can make them up as he chooses--four words: Get me a supervisor.

wow. i'll wager you'll get more than a supervisor with that attitude. hope you enjoy body cavity searches. :eek:

wow. i'll wager you'll get more than a supervisor with that attitude. hope you enjoy body cavity searches. :eek:

Not at all. I refuse to be bullied when they try to make up the rules as they go along. I've asked for a supervisor several times because I know the rules. Each time the supervisor has come and agreed with me that the item I was trying to carry on was acceptable per their guidelines.

By the way, I had one of those punks threaten to arrest me. TSA has ZERO rights to do this, it has to be handled by either the FBI or local police. I laughed in his face and told him that perhaps he might want to involve his supervisor rather than face termination. I was left to go on my way, he was relieved of duty.

I fly almost every week and I know my rights and the TSA rules better than the majority of rent-a-cop wanna be's that work for the TSA. I have yet to challenge one of them and be wrong.

I learned a long time ago that if you speak to a person with respect you usually get respect in return. (Usually, not always) But even if you don't you still come out the better person.

I give respect when it's given to me. Unfortunately most of the TSA I've encountered don't know the meaning of the word.

cream pies, yoghurts and puddings are considered 'liquids' by the TSA.

I have taken sliced hard cheese, sliced turkey and ham, bread, crackers and sliced vegetables with no problems.

Peanut butter got tossed by the TSA.

For general information, there are 2 major airports in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Love Field in Dallas mostly serves Southwest and DFW (also known as the BIG Dallas airport) between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Please don't say 'Dallas' if flying into DFW. It confuses folks. Now and then we have visitors who fly into Dallas Love Field when they were supposed to fly into DFW. We don't fetch them. They have to get to DFW to be picked up.

Not at all. I refuse to be bullied when they try to make up the rules as they go along. I've asked for a supervisor several times because I know the rules. Each time the supervisor has come and agreed with me that the item I was trying to carry on was acceptable per their guidelines.

By the way, I had one of those punks threaten to arrest me. TSA has ZERO rights to do this, it has to be handled by either the FBI or local police. I laughed in his face and told him that perhaps he might want to involve his supervisor rather than face termination. I was left to go on my way, he was relieved of duty.

I fly almost every week and I know my rights and the TSA rules better than the majority of rent-a-cop wanna be's that work for the TSA. I have yet to challenge one of them and be wrong.

i don't believe a single word of what you've posted.

cream pies, yoghurts and puddings are considered 'liquids' by the TSA.

I have taken sliced hard cheese, sliced turkey and ham, bread, crackers and sliced vegetables with no problems.

Peanut butter got tossed by the TSA.

For general information, there are 2 major airports in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Love Field in Dallas mostly serves Southwest and DFW (also known as the BIG Dallas airport) between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Please don't say 'Dallas' if flying into DFW. It confuses folks. Now and then we have visitors who fly into Dallas Love Field when they were supposed to fly into DFW. We don't fetch them. They have to get to DFW to be picked up.

As per Reservation: Arrive: DFW - Dallas/ Fort Worth Maybe you need to ask which Dallas when they make reservation to be fetched.

As per Reservation: Arrive: DFW - Dallas/ Fort Worth Maybe you need to ask which Dallas when they make reservation to be fetched.

Well, yes we do but in a business situation when they are buying their own tickets there is only so much you can do.

By the way we just had a visitor from Copenhagen who is so upset about the searches in that airport that she is now wearing a ballet/dance one piece unitard when flying. It is very tight and she says it prevents her from having to go through having her private parts touched. And we think the TSA is bad!

She is an older woman and looks ridiculous in this outfit, but it has worked for her with the TSA at least so far.

Israel has one of the best programs in the world, but we cannot use it because it infringes on our rights
Actually, it would be impossible to use in the US because none of you would accept the restrictions that it imposes on your travel. Primarily, although not exclusively, because of the time that it takes to implement, and the increased hassle there is for everyone compared to the relatively light-touch TSA approach.
I fly almost every week and I know my rights and the TSA rules better than the majority of rent-a-cop wanna be's that work for the TSA.
There are real issues with the way that the TSA implements the tasks that it's set up to do.

But if you think that the TSA keeps you safe by detecting and removing all contraband at the security checkpoint so that they don't get on the aircraft, you are sorely mistaken. As we all know, the security checkpoint cannot be 100% effective. Rather, the purpose of the security checkpoint is to ensure that contraband does not even get taken to the airport.

I learned a long time ago that if you speak to a person with respect you usually get respect in return. (Usually, not always) But even if you don't you still come out the better person.

I agree.

I give respect when it's given to me. Unfortunately most of the TSA I've encountered don't know the meaning of the word.

And if that is what the person standing opposite you says, you are both in trouble. Based on your attitude and your posts in this thread, I sincerely hope I don't meet you in person at some airport!

Israel has one of the best programs in the world, but we cannot use it because it infringes on our rights, (They Profile)
Actually, the reason we don't follow the Israeli model is that Americans wouldn't put up with the cost and hassle involved. They do a heck of a lot more than profile!

i don't believe a single word of what you've posted.

I don't know why you find the post hard to believe.

I just returned from the Middle East. 4 airlines, 5 airports. NOT a problem in the world UNTIL I got to ORD. I had my passport in my hand and about $500 US plus about $2000 in Kuwaiti and UAE currency. Some b***chy TSA lady told me I HAD to put the money and my passport on the belt to go through the scanner. I said NO. She informed me I wasn't going to fly UNTIL I put the money and passport on the belt. I still said NO. Get a supervisor. The argument got rather loud, with me refusing and her DEMANDING. Another TSA cop wannabe came over and told me I HAD to put the money down or I would possibly be arrested for NOT complying with federal rules. I still said NO and repeated the request for a supervisor.

The supervisor arrived. I told him I was NOT going to lay my cash or my passport loose on the conveyor belt but would be more than willing to have a female TSA agent take me to a private room for a search. He was pretty po'd when he realized he had a totally compliant passenger with a couple of agents on a power trip holding up the show. I didn't have to be scanned or groped (he did ask why I had so much foreign cash-read Middle Eastern cash-but it was no big deal) and I saw the two trouble causing TSA agents walking away from the actual security area. Bet they were going for "retraining".

There are soooo many TSA employees simply on a power trip. And they REALLY don't know the rules. FF often stand their ground against the power trips-I have seen it quite often.

Interesting. I fly all the time and almost never have any problems with TSA agents. For the most part, they are friendly and helpful. At worst, bored and indifferent. I can only think of a handful of times I've met disrespectful TSA agents... almost all of which were at one airport (LAS).

I've never gotten into a disagreement with a TSA agent, never needed to call a supervisor. Why do you think it is that you've met so many disrespectful TSA agents?

Back to the OP's question, as Kenish said if it pours, smears, or spreads you may run afoul of the TSA. Otherwise, you have a lot of freedom in what you can bring onboard. I've brought peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (it's okay if it's already on the bread), salads, tabouleh, fruit, nuts, various leftovers from home in disposable plastic containers (things that can stand not being reheated), etc. Just be mindful of things that could be overly strong smelling especially in an enclosed space.

And if you do encounter a TSA agent that says you have to throw it away, please don't be like the lady I was behind at SJU several years ago who got into an argument over her apple (not allowed due to USDA restrictions between Puerto Rico and the mainland) and held up the entire line.

interesting. I fly all the time and almost never have any problems with tsa agents. For the most part, they are friendly and helpful. At worst, bored and indifferent. I can only think of a handful of times i've met disrespectful tsa agents... Almost all of which were at one airport (las).

+1.

I've never gotten into a disagreement with a tsa agent, never needed to call a supervisor. Why do you think it is that you've met so many disrespectful tsa agents?

I think they answered your question:

I give respect when it's given to me.

(guess the Golden Rule doesn't apply to some FF'ers) :)

I just returned from the Middle East. 4 airlines, 5 airports. NOT a problem in the world UNTIL I got to ORD. I had my passport in my hand and about $500 US plus about $2000 in Kuwaiti and UAE currency. Some b***chy TSA lady told me I HAD to put the money and my passport on the belt to go through the scanner. I said NO. She informed me I wasn't going to fly UNTIL I put the money and passport on the belt. I still said NO. Get a supervisor. The argument got rather loud, with me refusing and her DEMANDING. Another TSA cop wannabe came over and told me I HAD to put the money down or I would possibly be arrested for NOT complying with federal rules. I still said NO and repeated the request for a supervisor.

The supervisor arrived. I told him I was NOT going to lay my cash or my passport loose on the conveyor belt but would be more than willing to have a female TSA agent take me to a private room for a search. He was pretty po'd when he realized he had a totally compliant passenger with a couple of agents on a power trip holding up the show. I didn't have to be scanned or groped (he did ask why I had so much foreign cash-read Middle Eastern cash-but it was no big deal) and I saw the two trouble causing TSA agents walking away from the actual security area. Bet they were going for "retraining".

There are soooo many TSA employees simply on a power trip. And they REALLY don't know the rules. FF often stand their ground against the power trips-I have seen it quite often.

Yeah, it's a power-trip thing. Have a read of some of the people who have been arrested for trying to photograph the TSA (despite their website pointing out that it's A-OK to do so). Carlos Miller's PINAC website is a good starting point.

Did Seattle -MIA last week. Bought a nice roast beef subway in Vancouver; had them cut it in half and wrap in plastic seperately. Put in a plastic sandwich container I always travel with. Works, tastes great.Half before evening board, rest breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...
But if you think that the TSA keeps you safe by detecting and removing all contraband at the security checkpoint so that they don't get on the aircraft, you are sorely mistaken. As we all know, the security checkpoint cannot be 100% effective. Rather, the purpose of the security checkpoint is to ensure that contraband does not even get taken to the airport.

The point is that they don't catch a lot of it. They can't see their noses in spite of their faces. Our government catches a lot more through intelligence than through the TSA goondom.

By the way, had a TSA agent give me a hard time yesterday because I had a sandwich sized ziplock instead of a quart sized. I had a one ounce tube of toothpaste, a one ounce tube of hand cream, and a .5 ounce tube of lip balm. I could have fit it into one of those mini snack size bags. And this guy has a fit because it's not in a quart sized Baggie. I can understand not allowing a gallon size--but I was down sized.

Talk about a waste of time while this guy harrassed me about my total of 2.5 ounces of liquids/gels.

On my way home I had a guy at BWI scream at me to "EMPTY MY POCKETS!" I turned around and told him I didn't even have any freaking pockets, so what the hell was his problem?

This is the type of nonsense that I'm talking about.

Interesting. I fly all the time and almost never have any problems with TSA agents. For the most part, they are friendly and helpful. At worst, bored and indifferent. I can only think of a handful of times I've met disrespectful TSA agents... almost all of which were at one airport (LAS).

I've never gotten into a disagreement with a TSA agent, never needed to call a supervisor. Why do you think it is that you've met so many disrespectful TSA agents?

I think it's for two reasons. First, the airports you fly in and out of (I've found the agents at OAK to be wonderful for example, but I agree, LAX, not so much) and second, because I refused to be bullied by people who abuse their power and make up the rules as they go along.

TSA in PVD, ABE, and SCE are generally pretty cool, TSA at BWI, BOS, PHL, and ATL are just flat out nasty and abusive. MCO, BDL, and SFO are a crap shoot. I think it all depends on management in that particular airport.

I follow the rules about what I can bring onboard, and if someone suddenly decides that my run-of-the-mill nail clippers are a threat to national security because he got up with a hangover, sorry, but I'm not going to let them be taken away on a whim. I'm not a sheeple, and I'm not afraid of asking for a supervisor.

The point is that they don't catch a lot of it. ... Our government catches a lot more through intelligence than through the TSA goondom.
They're doing different things, and they're complementary to each other. You can't rely on one or the other. The system is effective because they're both there and working together, because of which the whole is more than the sum of the parts.

Airport security isn't there to catch everything that comes through it. That's not the point of having the checkpoint there; it would be foolish to expect that a checkpoint can be relied on to be 100% effective.

Rather, the desired effect of the security checkpoint is to ensure that the bad guys don't even try to get anything through it (whether or not intelligence has picked up the existence of these bad guys); the contraband doesn't even begin a trip to the airport. To get that effect, the security checkpoint only has to catch so much.

So anyone who says "security is useless because I have got X, Y and Z through it at various times" is actually missing the point.

But I agree with you that the inconsistency and unfriendliness with which some TSA staff do their jobs is maddening, although even this implacable TSA cynic has to admit that things have got better at the security checkpoints in the last two or three years.

Greatam knows whereof she speaks! I would be on her side in any argument about foreign travel for sure!

Archived