Help Equinox or Mariner?

DancingGypsy

Going on Silhoutte for 13 days and kinda doing a b2b on the same day on Equinox for 10 days or get a hotel for 4 days in between ships and get on Mariner for 12 days......Comparing the 2 Equinox is 10 days w/a balcony guar. & $500 more/Mariner is 12 day D1 aft balcony. I have been to Rome aboout 10 yrs ago and have seen all the "important" things but thought it might b nice to just walk around and just enjoy the "feel" of Rome. I realize hotels & food & trains can get $$$......Oh yeah I am elite/Diamond & Celebs. perks r better. Havent booked flights yet til I figure which one:confused:

Going on Silhoutte for 13 days and kinda doing a b2b on the same day on Equinox for 10 days or get a hotel for 4 days in between ships and get on Mariner for 12 days......Comparing the 2 Equinox is 10 days w/a balcony guar. & $500 more/Mariner is 12 day D1 aft balcony. I have been to Rome aboout 10 yrs ago and have seen all the "important" things but thought it might b nice to just walk around and just enjoy the "feel" of Rome. I realize hotels & food & trains can get $$$......Oh yeah I am elite/Diamond & Celebs. perks r better. Havent booked flights yet til I figure which one:confused:

I would choose Equinox any day of the week over the Mariner.

Both are great ships and the S Class is my favorite, but (ignoring the four days in hotels) with the $500 difference, I'd do the Mariner. You may like a different environment after thirteen days on the Silhouette.

A certain TA's website lists the Mariner at 4.5 stars while the Equinox is at 5.5 stars. I'd gladly take a S-Class Celebrity ship over a 'lesser' RCCL ship, although I have to admit I've only been on Celebrity so far. I trust this TA's reviews and have thoroughly enjoyed my S-Class Celebrity cruises. Hard to imagine taking a step down from those now that I'm 'spoiled'.

Take the Equinox - if it was Freedom class ship instead of the Mariner it would be a harder choice. The Mariner does not have a Diamond Lounge - so the benefits for Elite cruisers are no where near as nice as on the Celebrity ships. If you enjoy the evening cocktail hour - on the Mariner you will get some strange trail mix (not good) and wine (also not so good). Cocktails are 25% off regular price.

This year we did our own B2B Oasis and then the Solstice. We had not been on Celebrity for a few years. The Oasis was great for the many venues and the entertainment. The Solstice had top notch food and service.

I think you will find the nightly entertainment as well as the whole ship atmosphere more lively on the Mariner. We find X, which IS our favorite, lacking only in the entertainment variety in the theatre in the evenings. That being said, most nights we do enjoy the around-the-ship entertainers.

Since you will spending a pretty long time on Silhouette, I'd choose the Mariner for variety... I think. ( Equinox is basically the same as Sil.) But...you might be disappointed in other areas on the Mariner. Interesting decision to make. I'd like the break between the two cruises too. hmmmm:confused::confused::confused:

This all from a frequent X cruiser. Have done 3 RCL cruises. Whichever you choose, sounds like a great time!!

I enjoyed the S-Class much more than the Mariner.

Also, 4 days in Rome can get pretty expensive.

The Mariner does offer a bit more to kids, if any are traveling w/ you (rock wall, ice skating/show, etc.).

Since you'll have the luxury of the Silhouette cruise first, then I'd choose the Mariner follow up cruise for the extra 4 days in Rome, can't imagine passing up extra time there, soaking up the atmosphere!

I absolutely agree.

Having been on Equinox and Mariner I would undoubtedly go for Mariner.

The OP will just have come off the Silhouette (which is effectively a replication of the Equinox), so go for something different and the Mariner.

Different cuisine (don't forget you will replicate most of the meals), different entertainment, different ship.

That is not to say the Mariner is superior, it is just the fact that one is effectively a replaication of the other, whereas #Mariner is different.

I absolutely agree.

Having been on Equinox and Mariner I would undoubtedly go for Mariner.

The OP will just have come off the Silhouette (which is effectively a replication of the Equinox), so go for something different and the Mariner.

Different cuisine (don't forget you will replicate most of the meals), different entertainment, different ship.

That is not to say the Mariner is superior, it is just the fact that one is effectively a replaication of the other, whereas #Mariner is different.

Very good advice, especially when it comes from 'seasoned" cruisers;)we do get spoiled......but flying so far (ca.) I wanted to make it worth my while! Thanks all for giving me your input.

Very good advice, especially when it comes from 'seasoned" cruisers;)we do get spoiled......but flying so far (ca.) I wanted to make it worth my while! Thanks all for giving me your input.

Believe me Mariner will be worth your while.

I feel that Silhouette to Equinox could get you feeling a little bit of "same old - same old" if you get my drift, that's why I would go for the Mariner.

either way, you have worked hard to enjoy the fruits of your labour so have a fantastic time whichever you choose.

Archived