Snorkeling In Belize

Costagirl

Good evening! My husband and I will be cruising to Belize in September. I am pretty excited as Belize has the second largest barrier reef. I don't think we will be certified to dive by the trip and I was curious if anyone had any great snorkeling trips, locations they hit when in Belize.

Good evening! My husband and I will be cruising to Belize in September. I am pretty excited as Belize has the second largest barrier reef. I don't think we will be certified to dive by the trip and I was curious if anyone had any great snorkeling trips, locations they hit when in Belize.

I took the barrier reef snorkel in Belize last March. It was really too many people. The boat that I was on picked us up at the pier. There was 140 people on our boat. There were at least 2 other large boats anchored near us with at least that many on them. There was a tour in the water. I saw more fish when I abandoned the tour and returned to the boat (all the people had moved on) than I saw in the beginning of the tour. The water was really rough. Below is a review that I wrote of that experience. I would consider it again but only after trying other snorkels.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28758656#post28758656

Belize Review

BelizeMar11.jpg

Snorkelers returning to their boats

DSCF2499.jpg

The Carnival Dream in the distance from the NCL Sun

Hi,

We went through shore breeze for our exursion in belize. The boat took you to Caye Caulker for snorkeling and then back to the island to have lunch. The island is beautiful and our kids loved the snorkeling! You can take a water taxi Caye Caulker right from the pier.......where the ships tenders drop you off.

Good luck,

sandi

We went through Carnival, and it was the basic snorkeling excursion right off the ship. Unfortunately it was not the best snorkeling of the trip. There were a lot of people on the boat and some were very poor swimmers - it was kept at the level of the lowest common denominator for that reason, and as DH and I were very skilled swimmers and experienced at snorkeling it was a letdown. The guides kept us bunched very close together and both of us were kicked in the face by other guests several times. We were not supposed to go underwater at all and there were a ton of other snorkeling boats in the area. There were some beautiful sights but overall it was not worth the money we paid to be herded around in a circle like that.

We had better snorkeling off the beach in Roatan the day before. If we do that itinerary again we will choose a different snorkeling experience in Belize, possibly with a private tour operator.

The best snorkeling in Belize was at shark alley. There were no islands and no cayes. Just open water 12 miles off. There is a strong current over the reef so you must be a good swimmer but it was FANTASTIC!!! There were tons of nurse sharks and rays. The coral was incredible. We met a couple of divers from Austrailia that were impressed. Carnival does not offer the excursion anymore because it takes so long to get out there. We have done Goff Caye which is gentle and doesn't have much in the way of coral but we did have a HUGE spotted ray swim up between us.:D

In Belize we'd suggest that you look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours & see what they offer. We snorkel with them twice a year & always have a super time. Our favorite local lunch of stewed chicken & rice & beans is also a part of the Snorkeling tour on their Caye Caulker stop. So GOOD !

They pick you up in the Tourist Village where the tender drops you off.

You might receive more feed back to your question on the Belize site under Ports.

Enjoy Belize !

Bill in FL

Goff's Caye is definitely the way to go. Inexpensive for a Carnival tour, I think it was around $40. Best part is they pick you up directly from the ship. No waiting in line for tenders, no wasting time tendering in then getting on another boat and waiting for everyone else to arrive to go back out, etc. Not the best snorkelling but one of the best, and the only place we've seen turtles, and we saw many of them, both times we were there. Because it's an early tour and they get you out there so quick, you're back on the ship by noon. You'll still have 4 or 5 hours to enjoy a quiet ship, or we like to take a quick shower then tender in and have a few beers at the pier area.

In Belize we'd suggest that you look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours & see what they offer. We snorkel with them twice a year & always have a super time. Our favorite local lunch of stewed chicken & rice & beans is also a part of the Snorkeling tour on their Caye Caulker stop. So GOOD !

You might receive more feed back to your question on the Belize site under Ports.

Enjoy Belize !

Bill in FL

Just want to say Thanks to you Bill for posting what the lunch is, lol, I am going to book with Coral Breeze but didnt know which one to pick the lunch option or no lunch? This was very helpful :)

Enjoy Belize !

Bill in FL

Bill, I also considering Coral Breezes but have noticed that they are not taking booking for Oct or beyond. Do you know if that is due to that being so far away in time? Also do they drop you off at the boat after the trip or just take you back to the tourism village?

Noticed that the NCL Spirit is no longer offering the shark Ray Alley tour. Someone found out that they have quit offering it after June, that leaves me no other option but to book thru an independent. Does Coral Breeze return you back to the ship in time, how many hour before the ship leaves?

Enjoy Belize !

Bill in FL

I am also interested in Coral Breeze but find the time on Caye Caulker after snorkeling seems short (90 minutes including lunch) according to the itinerary. On their web-site it says "We're flexible! We adjust the length of our tours to fit the schedules of our guests." So I e-mailed and asked if they ever adjust or increase times if the ships port time allows but I have had no response from them.

Is Coral Breeze usually quick to respond?

Did you find the time on Caye Caulker short after snorkeling?

Can't wait to hear the response to this question as we would like more time on Cay Caulker as well. It was just voted the second most beautiful secret island in the world! I really want to see it, I would like to know the difference between the water taxi and coral breeze in the boatride there. I wonder which is the fastest most pleasant way to travel that 45 minute boat ride to and from. There is not much action on the snorkle forum thats for sure. I think everyone does something else in Belize.

Can't wait to hear the response to this question as we would like more time on Cay Caulker as well. It was just voted the second most beautiful secret island in the world! I really want to see it, I would like to know the difference between the water taxi and coral breeze in the boatride there. I wonder which is the fastest most pleasant way to travel that 45 minute boat ride to and from. There is not much action on the snorkle forum thats for sure. I think everyone does something else in Belize.

Hopefully someone will give use more info about CoralBreezes. I believe people don't want to do in Belize with a lot doing cave tubing. Belize is more known for it's reef with the Ho Chan reserve being one of the 1000 places to visit before you die. When I used to scuba dive as a kid, the dive mags you to show Belize and the wonderful reef. Have not been to Caye Caulker except for a quick bathroom break before our excursion took us to Ambergris Caye. The tendering process in Belize can cause issues with independent tours which is making me nervous about trying one. If all fails, I will book Bannister Island thru the ship but will wait until later to see if can book Oct thru Coral Breezes.

To the scott, I have found tours on Ecotours recommended from these boards, and they are on trip advisor as well, if there are no coral breeze tours in Oct. I wish I had checked them out before I booked. It would be better than a very crowded tour for sure.

To the scott, I have found tours on Ecotours recommended from these boards, and they are on trip advisor as well, if there are no coral breeze tours in Oct. I wish I had checked them out before I booked. It would be better than a very crowded tour for sure.

Do you know how to find them on tripadvisor. Having an issue to locate them, what is there same to search on that site.

Thanks for the info as they look good, just need to find the reviews.

Here is there website I was so impressed that they have a FB page so you could FB them.

Traveler recommended tours of Belize is where I found a lot of info.

Here are two links. Trip Advisor's ratings changes daily

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291968-d663892-Reviews-Ecological_Tours_Services-Belize_City_Belize_District.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g291968-Activities-Belize_City_Belize_District.html

I wish I knew which company was the best but I don’t. The looks like they run neck and neck, Coral breeze and Ecotours and then there is one called Carnival that has reviews as well. Well it looks like your not stuck on the boat anyway!

Bill, I also considering Coral Breezes but have noticed that they are not taking booking for Oct or beyond. Do you know if that is due to that being so far away in time? Also do they drop you off at the boat after the trip or just take you back to the tourism village?

Noticed that the NCL Spirit is no longer offering the shark Ray Alley tour. Someone found out that they have quit offering it after June, that leaves me no other option but to book thru an independent. Does Coral Breeze return you back to the ship in time, how many hour before the ship leaves?

So that's what happened to that excursion :(. Thanks for posting about it :cool:.

We'd booked the excursion with NCL a while ago, but was notified this week the excursion was no longer available for our July trip. Bummer. Have been spending the last day and a half trying to find a replacement.

Coral Breeze seems to have a great reputation, from the posts I've seen, but they state on their website that they cannot accommodate NCL passengers the day we'll be in port.

So that's what happened to that excursion :(. Thanks for posting about it :cool:.

We'd booked the excursion with NCL a while ago, but was notified this week the excursion was no longer available for our July trip. Bummer. Have been spending the last day and a half trying to find a replacement.

Coral Breeze seems to have a great reputation, from the posts I've seen, but they state on their website that they cannot accommodate NCL passengers the day we'll be in port.

It is a bummer that NCL removed it. It is one of my favorite tours even though it costs a bit. I also had heard that Coral Breezes sometimes does not accommodate NCL passengers. I believe it is due deal late arrival of the boat in Belize and the tendering process. This is making me sad as I love the reef. Might end up just doing either bannister island or the catamaran snorkel trip.

I just noticed that Coral Breezes is now offering excursions in Oct now. My NCL ship arrives in Belize at 8am. Where on their website does it show that they won't handle NCL? It didn't say that for Oct when I went thru the process up to the "checkout' option.

For me they offer 10am for the day our boat is in Belize. Is that enough time to get to the tourism village if the boat arrives at 8am. NCL usually gives preference to people who book thru the ship. What time do they let others off the boat? I am nervous thinking about booking independent due to tendering and the risk of them having boat issues etc.

This morning I sent an email to Coral Breezes. They responded to my questions within 2 hours. Mark told me that the NCL Spirit on Oct 27th will be the only ship in port and they will arrange the itinerary around the ship. He said there was no rush to book. I am impressed with there response and will book up with them closer to my cruise time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived