Anybody fly AER LINGUS ?

latebloomer56

Hi,

We wanted a direct flight to Venice but couldn't leave from Boston on one. We found AER LINGUS which goes to Dublin then on to Venice with a 2 hour window between flights. Have never flown on this airline before any thoughts on them? We are going a day early, but have never gone through Dublin airport either. Any thoughts on this airport? Any tips?

Thanks, Laura E.

Hi,

We wanted a direct flight to Venice but couldn't leave from Boston on one. We found AER LINGUS which goes to Dublin then on to Venice with a 2 hour window between flights. Have never flown on this airline before any thoughts on them? We are going a day early, but have never gone through Dublin airport either. Any thoughts on this airport? Any tips?

Thanks, Laura E.

We fly AL all the time.It is a brilliant airline and Dublin airport is far more interesting and faster than London.

What tips do u require ?

We have never flown Aer LIngus either but also booked this weekend out of Boston with a change in Dublin with final destination of Barcelona. It was the cheapest by far and priced dropped about $300 per ticket a few days ago so we jumped on it. I did a little looking around and it seems to have favorable reviews. Looks like you can take one 50 lb checked back but also can have a 22 lb carry on.

We have never flown Aer LIngus either but also booked this weekend out of Boston with a change in Dublin with final destination of Barcelona. It was the cheapest by far and priced dropped about $300 per ticket a few days ago so we jumped on it. I did a little looking around and it seems to have favorable reviews. Looks like you can take one 50 lb checked back but also can have a 22 lb carry on.

There's another good advantage of EI/Aer Lingus via DUB; you can add a layover of up to 2 weeks in Dublin, so you could get a chance to visit there too. Make sure to book all the tickets on the same reservation, and that way you get the trans-atlantic luggage allowance on the european segment (normally they charge for intra-europe luggage).

Flying back into BOS, you'll also find that DUB has full US pre-screening, so you actually clear US Immigration and Customs in Dublin and land in Boston as if you were a domestic flight.

Dublin airport is a very good set up - you will be using Terminal 2 where all US flights arrive and Aer LIngus operates from so you will not need to move terminal. Terminal 2 is brand new (opened last year) and you will have no problem killing a few hours there. Aer Lingus are generally good also - usually show some leniancy on baggage size and weight etc unlike Ryanair. My only problem with Aer Lingus is that they dont fly in and out of Venice on the days I require in September and I have to go with another carrier via Frankfurt but apart from that we use them as often as we can!

I flew the same itinerary last year and will do it again this fall. I had no problems and it was a very nice flight, great service. Have fun!

Hi,

Thanks, Laura E.

We fly AL all the time.It is a brilliant airline and Dublin airport is far more interesting and faster than London.

What tips do u require ?

Thank you everybody. As far as tips we were concerned with the airport. We have been to Dublin but on a cruise never needed the airport. We have to fly from Boston not my favorite airport. Hope Dublin is a little like London with directions and such.

Laura E.

Dublin airport is a very good set up - you will be using Terminal 2 where all US flights arrive and Aer LIngus operates from so you will not need to move terminal. Terminal 2 is brand new (opened last year) and you will have no problem killing a few hours there. Aer Lingus are generally good also - usually show some leniancy on baggage size and weight etc unlike Ryanair. My only problem with Aer Lingus is that they dont fly in and out of Venice on the days I require in September and I have to go with another carrier via Frankfurt but apart from that we use them as often as we can!

That is wonderful one less thing to fret about. Mike is not a good travler as far as getting where we need to be. We leave Boston on 10/17 PM are in Dublin early on the 18th. and Venice mid morning. We stay there that night board on the 19th for an overnight. We so need this vacation.:D

Thank you, Laura E.

Thank you everybody. As far as tips we were concerned with the airport. We have been to Dublin but on a cruise never needed the airport. We have to fly from Boston not my favorite airport. Hope Dublin is a little like London with directions and such.

Laura E.

Laura - Dublin is not like London, it's much better! There's only 2 terminals, and it's nowhere near as crowded! Coming home, you will go through pre-clearance for US, which is another way of saying Customs and Immigration. - You won't have the hassle when you land in the US. From now on, when I go to Europe for any reason, I plan on flying through Dublin. :-)

Laura - Dublin is not like London, it's much better! There's only 2 terminals, and it's nowhere near as crowded! Coming home, you will go through pre-clearance for US, which is another way of saying Customs and Immigration. - You won't have the hassle when you land in the US. From now on, when I go to Europe for any reason, I plan on flying through Dublin. :-)

That is good to know. April 2010 coming home from London to Boston we felt like criminals. I know better to be safe than sorry. Dublin sounds great even I feel better going through there now.

Thanks, Laura E.

We live in Boston and love the Aer Lingus flights. It is worth the upgrade for $10 more to get in rows 9,10, 11. You can also take a day between your flight and enjoy a day and overnight (or more) in Dublin. Last year, we did the overnight and spent a day in Dublin. This year, were taking two days on our return home. Hotels are not expensive in Dublin and it's a fun city. Another alternative if you ever want to go to Barcelona is Icelandair. Aer Lingus and Icelandair are the two discount airlines that go from Boston to Europe.

I just checked flights again, I bought my ticket in April for travel on 10/14-10/28 and the price has dropped by $200.00. You may want to see if there is a reduction for you, I am hoping to get the price adjusted, Have FUN on your adventure!

That is wonderful one less thing to fret about. Mike is not a good travler as far as getting where we need to be. We leave Boston on 10/17 PM are in Dublin early on the 18th. and Venice mid morning. We stay there that night board on the 19th for an overnight. We so need this vacation.:D

Thank you, Laura E.

The new terminal is great - so much easier to navigate than London Heathrow. It is lovely and new and although it is quite big, it feels really small - does that make sense?

As already mentioned, you complete immigration in Dublin so saves a lot of time on landing.

Aer Lingus are also a great airline.

Can only see plus points to this itinerary.

Archived