Currently On Ruby Princess in Med

Posaune

Hi - Will just throw in my 2 cents. We have been here many times and have used Ekol before, but my preference is ephesus.deluxe. They do both Kusadasi and Istanbul with great pricing and options (quite a bit cheaper than Ekol and better, IMHO).

Thanks, I will check them out

We arrived in Mykonos a little before noon and anchored in the harbor. Shortly after noon we started the tender process. Between the Mykonos provided boats and the onboard tenders it was handled very efficiently. We took the Princess walking tour of the town and found it to be very basic and boring. Having done Mykonos on our own before, we should have known better. This port is very simple to do on your own.

For the first time everyone actually made it back to the ship. We have had several people pay for some very expensive flights to get them back to the ship the next day!

At sea today on the way to Naples with partly cloudy skies and 73 degrees. Slight wind and VERY calm seas once again. We skipped the show last night by a multi instrumentalist because we have seen her before and I have come down with a bit of a cold. We dropped off the guest entertainers in Mykonos and picked up a new collection.

I would suggest unless you want to go to one of the beaches on the other side of the island, just wander the streets of the town to Little Venice, the windmills and visit the shops. It was fairly crowded in town with four ships in port.

The ship was very slow to wake up this morning. It is noon now and the decks are just beginning to buzz. Many of the typical activities on decks all over the ship. Second formal night tonight, the Captains Circle Reception and a new show to see in Princess Theatre. Going to be a busy evening!

To answer a couple of questions-- Looks like quite a few singles on board. To those on the August cruises, be ready for lots of heat. We did it in AUgust four years ago and really baked. The weather now is even milder than we expected! Istanbul can be done on your own, but a guide can really help your experience. Everyone I have talked to has seemed pleased with the companies previously mentioned by others in this post. Just go to the roll call for your cruise and join up with someone to put a tour together!

Hello everyone,

Regarding Istanbul, our group of 7 was originally taking the tram, but it would have been about a mile walk from the ship to the nearest loading platform. On the way, we were approached by what turned out to be a wonderful guide who drove an 8 passenger van. He approached us on the main street. The charge was negotiated from $150 to $100 Euro plus tip. He stayed with us about 5 hours and tipped his way into receiving tickets without standing in line. That alone saved us hours. I can provide contact info by email request

We arrived in Mykonos a little before noon and anchored in the harbor. Shortly after noon we started the tender process. Between the Mykonos provided boats and the onboard tenders it was handled very efficiently. We took the Princess walking tour of the town and found it to be very basic and boring. Having done Mykonos on our own before, we should have known better. This port is very simple to do on your own.

For the first time everyone actually made it back to the ship. We have had several people pay for some very expensive flights to get them back to the ship the next day!

At sea today on the way to Naples with partly cloudy skies and 73 degrees. Slight wind and VERY calm seas once again. We skipped the show last night by a multi instrumentalist because we have seen her before and I have come down with a bit of a cold. We dropped off the guest entertainers in Mykonos and picked up a new collection.

I would suggest unless you want to go to one of the beaches on the other side of the island, just wander the streets of the town to Little Venice, the windmills and visit the shops. It was fairly crowded in town with four ships in port.

The ship was very slow to wake up this morning. It is noon now and the decks are just beginning to buzz. Many of the typical activities on decks all over the ship. Second formal night tonight, the Captains Circle Reception and a new show to see in Princess Theatre. Going to be a busy evening!

To answer a couple of questions-- Looks like quite a few singles on board. To those on the August cruises, be ready for lots of heat. We did it in AUgust four years ago and really baked. The weather now is even milder than we expected! Istanbul can be done on your own, but a guide can really help your experience. Everyone I have talked to has seemed pleased with the companies previously mentioned by others in this post. Just go to the roll call for your cruise and join up with someone to put a tour together!

Richard

You're becoming quite the wordsmith, I can almost smell the sea air .:)

Thanks for continuing to include us all

Srpilo

Busy evening tonight with Formal Night, the Captain's Circle Parties and a new show to us, Broadway Ballroom.

There are 1252 Captains Circle members onboard with 1020 gold, 187 platinum and 45 elite. The most traveled passengers were 3rd place from the UK with 355 days, 2nd place from Illinois with 389 days and 1st place with 612 days from California. The Captain stuck around after the party to have his picture taken with passengers!

The new show is very strong. High energy all the way through. I am a musician by trade and appreciate the work these folks do. This is a very talented cast!

We set the clocks back an hour tonight and will appreciate the extra sleep.

A bit of rain caught up to us today, but it did not last long. We had a private tour booked through another Cruise Critic member with Francesco and AP Tours. Eight of us along with Francesco headed toward Herculaneum and met up with the guide Francesca for the ruins. We had a good two hour tour despite the rain. We then headed up the Amalfi Coast with a stop in Positano for some shopping. We then ventured up the mountain to a wonderful little restaurant run by a friend of Francesco's overlooking the coast. After lunch we drove to Sorrento for the hydrofoil back to the ship.

Tonight in the Princess Theatre was comedian Kevin Devane with the Princess Orchestra in Explorers performing A Tribute to the Big Bands.

Several of the crew have called the three days in a row (Naples, Rome and Florence) rounds 1, 2 & 3. If you can survive to round 3 you can survive anything!

To Shogun, no he did not tell that joke... would love to hear it. The Captain was quite entertaining though.

Hi Posaune,

can not recall it word for word even after hearing it more than a few times,

but back in the days when captains did muster call, and could chat without every word being approved by a head office, there was a captain

that would remind passengers that if required to use the life boats its was women and children first, thats why he had a wig and night gown on hanging on his cabin door.

or something like that

yours Shogun

hi!

I'll be cruising 21st (ruby); have a few questions:

-are there a lot of kids on the ship? (10-13 yr olds)

-any talk about the ecoli problems, ie not serving salad?

-since traveling with a young boy(who still wears some of his food!), the laundry room will be a hot spot for me. Is it coin operated, $25 cents only type or a 'room key' pay system? Want to be prepared w coins or $$ bills if need be!

thanks so much!

-whitney:)

Good news to those I have frightened to death! Tomorrow's Patter lists dining attire as casual. It had been listed in the first days Patter as a third formal night.

Another beautiful day on the Ruby Princess and onshore in Rome. It did reach the low 80's at the end of the day, but we are from Atlanta and that did not phase us at all! We pulled into dock at 6 AM and tours were hitting shore shortly after that. We took Princess tour ROM 380 to Trevi, Spanish Steps, Pantheon and St. Peters Square. This was another all day walking tour. Traffic was heavy on the slightly less than hour and half drive into Rome, but we were on schedule. Our guide was excellent and a good (but rather heavy for the heat) lunch at the Opera Cafe was included. We have been to Rome on this cruise before, but we had not seen the Pantheon or Trevi Fountain. The Pantheon was quite impressive, but I was sorry there was a lot of construction around Trevi. We certainly enjoyed the luxury of one and a half hours in St. Peters!

I think the majority of the cruisers ate at Horizon tonight after two long days of tours. Tomorrow is another early and long day. The Captain announced our weather luck has run out..... it looks like rain all day tomorrow. About 30 minutes after we pulled out of Civitavecchia the rains started, but what a beautiful full double rainbow we saw off the stern!

I thought the crew on the Crown was the best in the fleet. This bunch on Ruby is the happiest, friendliest bunch I have seen in our seven cruises on Princess.

To answer a couple of questions-- There are not a huge bunch of kids on this cruise, but people had to leave the US late in May, before most schools were out. No health issues. I have never used the laundry, but it is coin operated. Other passengers suggest that you bring quarters. The change machine is often empty!

Just a quick note. I will post more about the last two days after I return home. Sam announced tonight that she is heading home tomorrow. No idea who is coming onboard to replace her.

We saw Once Upon a Dream tonight and it is a wonderfully inventive show. The use of projected sets is very well done (similar to Woman in White in London's West End several years ago!) The dance was excellent, especially considering that we are dancing around a bit in 40-55 knot winds. Eleven straight days of flat seas and I bet this is a shock to a lot of the first timers on board.

@ sportsmum-- I have not noticed the twice baked on the menu, but it is not something that I would look for myself.

Hello Posaune, Thanks so much for posting your report. We decided two weekends ago to go on this exact cruise and we are so excited:D

However will not be till mid September in 2013 (if that itenary still goes by then), so still a lot of time to wait:(

I have started a thread before I saw your post (had no response so far), but we are hoping to book an o/v or balcony. What would be the best side a port or starboard for the Venice to Barcelona trip?

Well, I guess the cruise is finally over when you watch the ship pull out of Barcelona from your hotel room window. they pulled out right on time at 7 PM. I kept trying to convince myself that we were on a shore excursion and could get back on board, but that did not work. Heading back to Atlanta bright and early tomorrow. Will post some final comments later.

Hi, my husband and I are doing this cruise at the end of July so we are very interested to read your reports.

I notice that you used the tour company Hello Ephesus and we would be interested in doing the same. However, we are travelling alone so only two in our party. I have e mailed them to ask if we can make a booking and be added to any other bookings that they have but wondered if your booking was made for two or more people. Does anyone else know of any other good independent tour companies for either Ephesus or Istanbul?

I am using a small company in the begining of July that has some good reviews burried here in Cruise critic.

http://www.kusadasitours.com/

Seem very willing to work with me and accomodate all my needs. They will run the trip with just 2 people if that is all they get, although I am sure they will try to fill it up at the pier. They run tours in both Kusadasi and in Istanbul. I have not gone with them yet, so I won't know until mid July. I will let you know then, if its not too late.

I am using a small company in the begining of July that has some good reviews burried here in Cruise critic.

http://www.kusadasitours.com/

Seem very willing to work with me and accomodate all my needs. They will run the trip with just 2 people if that is all they get, although I am sure they will try to fill it up at the pier. They run tours in both Kusadasi and in Istanbul. I have not gone with them yet, so I won't know until mid July. I will let you know then, if its not too late.

I just put their name on my favorites list...so please come back to this thread..which I subscribed to...and report on them....Thanks!!!

Well, I guess the cruise is finally over when you watch the ship pull out of Barcelona from your hotel room window. they pulled out right on time at 7 PM. I kept trying to convince myself that we were on a shore excursion and could get back on board, but that did not work. Heading back to Atlanta bright and early tomorrow. Will post some final comments later.

Richard

I think I speak for alot here when I say we really enjoyed sharing your cruise with you, and yes I too am sad it's over :)

Thanks for taking us with you

Srpilo

Posaune,

Love reading your posts. Unfortunately, we won't have the chance to go on this cruise but our dear friends will be leaving the first of Aug. I see that you took the tour in Rome that they are considering. Would you be able to tell me how much walking is involved on this tour? Our friend has mobility issues and is concerned as to weather he will be able to handle the walking. His wife would love to do this. Could you give me some input on this. Thank you so much.

We enjoyed cruising with you these past days. Thanks for taking care of the Ruby Princess, we will be in Venice waiting for her when she returns!

I have a question. I know you have to check in before 9pm the night before departure. How late can you stay out in Venice before you have to get back on the ship?

Also, when did they do the muster drill? Does it need to be completed before we leave port?

Hope you had a good flight home - welcome back to the USA and 'Hot'lanta.

Question for people returning from the Ruby...

What did you see in terms of clothing on formal nights? Were they requiring tie and jacket, or were people dressing casually as well?

Thanks

Archived