Currently On Ruby Princess in Med

Posaune

The Captain said hello-- no free drink! The ship is not full, running about 300 below capacity at just under 3000. Seems like we have sailed a week or two after you on the same ship at least three times! Never do see Sam "out and about"!

It was a wonderful day in Kusadasi. We docked at about 6:30 AM and had the all clear about quarter till. It was off the ship at 7 to met our guide from Hello Ephesus. Our tour included the House of the Virgin Mary, Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. The main reason we are doing this cruise a second time is that we did not see the Terrace Houses the first time. I would suggest making sure to schedule a tour that visits the Terrace Houses. You should see the archaeological work in progress on homes with many decorations intact!

The city was very busy today with three large ships. I do remember one was Celebrity Solstice. Everyone returned to the ship about 12:15, so Horizon was mobbed and this was the first time I have ever had to hunt more than a couple of minutes for a seat. It is Italian night tonight..... makes a lot of sense running between two Turkish ports? Magician illusionist David Cats is in Princess Theater with the Princess Orchestra in Explorers with a Big Band Dance. Currently 70 degrees on deck with a stiff breeze and flat seas. Sure sounds better than the 98 degrees in my hometown of Atlanta today!

Richard

Continued good stuff :)

Thanks again for taking us with you

Srpilo

It was a wonderful day in Kusadasi. We docked at about 6:30 AM and had the all clear about quarter till. It was off the ship at 7 to met our guide from Hello Ephesus. Our tour included the House of the Virgin Mary, Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. The main reason we are doing this cruise a second time is that we did not see the Terrace Houses the first time. I would suggest making sure to schedule a tour that visits the Terrace Houses. You should see the archaeological work in progress on homes with many decorations intact!

The city was very busy today with three large ships. I do remember one was Celebrity Solstice. Everyone returned to the ship about 12:15, so Horizon was mobbed and this was the first time I have ever had to hunt more than a couple of minutes for a seat. It is Italian night tonight..... makes a lot of sense running between two Turkish ports? Magician illusionist David Cats is in Princess Theater with the Princess Orchestra in Explorers with a Big Band Dance. Currently 70 degrees on deck with a stiff breeze and flat seas. Sure sounds better than the 98 degrees in my hometown of Atlanta today!

Enjoying your reports. Thanks for taking the time to post.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks for the post. I was wondering if you could let me know....was there a certain time you had to be on the cruise ship your first night in Venice while docked at port? Could you come and go at any time until the morning? Also....any good coffee spots on the Ruby Princess? Thanks for all the info!!

Hi, my husband and I are doing this cruise at the end of July so we are very interested to read your reports.

I notice that you used the tour company Hello Ephesus and we would be interested in doing the same. However, we are travelling alone so only two in our party. I have e mailed them to ask if we can make a booking and be added to any other bookings that they have but wondered if your booking was made for two or more people. Does anyone else know of any other good independent tour companies for either Ephesus or Istanbul?

You would be best to go to the Roll Call board and find your ships sailing date and see if anyone else is looking for others to join a similar tour or start a new thread yourself. We do that on all our cruises.

We are using Ekol Tours in Kusadasi and Istanbul this Sept and they come highly regarded from cruise critic.

Hi, my husband and I are doing this cruise at the end of July so we are very interested to read your reports.

I notice that you used the tour company Hello Ephesus and we would be interested in doing the same. However, we are travelling alone so only two in our party. I have e mailed them to ask if we can make a booking and be added to any other bookings that they have but wondered if your booking was made for two or more people. Does anyone else know of any other good independent tour companies for either Ephesus or Istanbul?

It was a sunny and pleasant day in Istanbul. We pulled in at about 7:45 AM after another glass smooth ride and got clearance to go ashore about 8. We took Princess tour IST-150 which went to St. Sophia, Topkapi, the Blue Mosque, Irene Church and the obligatory carpet demonstration. The group was small, only 18 people which made the day very pleasant. Our guide was excellent and everything ran right on time. I believe we left a few people ashore once again today. (We left two yesterday) They will wait a short time for you, but not an eternity. Sailaway in Skywalkers was very nice with the shrimp fountain and the drink of the day was the Cosmopolitan.

Tonight is comedy magician Mel Mellers with West End vocalist Paul Baker in the Princess Theater. The White Hot Deck Party begins at 9:30.

The correct answer has already been given about independent tours -- go to your roll call. I have used Ekol before in Istanbul and been pleased, although the guide on our Princess tour today was actually better.

The third formal night is still on the schedule according to our Captain's Circle Hostess. We are to arrive in Mykonos about noon tomorrow and everyone on board is looking forward to sleeping in. & for Shogun---very few kids onboard.

It was a sunny and pleasant day in Istanbul. We pulled in at about 7:45 AM after another glass smooth ride and got clearance to go ashore about 8. We took Princess tour IST-150 which went to St. Sophia, Topkapi, the Blue Mosque, Irene Church and the obligatory carpet demonstration. The group was small, only 18 people which made the day very pleasant. Our guide was excellent and everything ran right on time. I believe we left a few people ashore once again today. (We left two yesterday) They will wait a short time for you, but not an eternity. Sailaway in Skywalkers was very nice with the shrimp fountain and the drink of the day was the Cosmopolitan.

Tonight is comedy magician Mel Mellers with West End vocalist Paul Baker in the Princess Theater. The White Hot Deck Party begins at 9:30.

The correct answer has already been given about independent tours -- go to your roll call. I have used Ekol before in Istanbul and been pleased, although the guide on our Princess tour today was actually better.

The third formal night is still on the schedule according to our Captain's Circle Hostess. We are to arrive in Mykonos about noon tomorrow and everyone on board is looking forward to sleeping in. & for Shogun---very few kids onboard.

why do you think that your Princess tour only had 18? The price? What I am asking is did loads of other pax just go it alone or do you think they just booked private tours? We are private tour types, but for our Ruby cruise I was thinking about using PCL for Istanbul. I have been there before but for the kids I want a tour guide with us and will consider a ship's tour as we are a big family and realistically the savings is not as much as one would think with a private group...DH and I pay for everyone ...too much history not to get it right!:D

Any info you get, please pass on.

Thanks

Looking forward to your future posts, as we will be on the same cruise in a few weeks time, on what will be our 1st Princess cruise, one of our worries at the moment are the formal nights, especially as 3 is being mentioned, men are easy, suit, tie sorted, but does the lady have to wear a dress or would a smart blouse & trousers suffice? What normally is worn on these events?

Thanks

@scotto97-- Please go ahead. THere are so many entertainment and shore options that no one person sees everything!

On the 18 on a tour question. It looks like the real long tours with a lot of walking have been shrunk in size. I am sure with a bit of a price increase!

Posaune, I'm enjoying your live from and the detailed reports from each port. We did this cruise last year and loved it - can't wait to do it again. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. :)

Would it be possible for either of the posters currently on the ship to find out the following from the other pax...

1. Exactly how did they get around Istanbul? Private, group tour? and which outside tour agency did they use?

2. Same for Athens

These are the 2 cities that I have seen before but want to get a very informative, educational tour for my family booked. I have done private guides before...but this time I am willing to use PCL tours if they are good....

but if only 18 pax were on the tour bus..then somehow all the other 3000 pax saw Istanbul on their own or with a private tour.

Would be interested in hearing the stories from pax who did it on their own....could they get in to the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia and The Blue Mosque on their own...or are there some organized group tours that can be purchased right at the site?

The Otooman Emprie history is too important to leave to chance and just wander around so that is why I am very very interested.

Thanks,

Mag

Hi Mag, I'll try and answer this for you since we just got off that cruise and it's still fresh in my mind.

Istanbul traffic is a nightmare so double any travel times! The tour with 18 people was only one tour. There are many tour options available from Princess. The connoisseur tours are intended to be smaller groups and the price reflects that. We were in Istanbul on a Monday when the Haggia Sofia is usually closed but since we were with Princess we were allowed access. Many independent passengers were refused entry because they weren't on a Princess Tour. We had an excellent guide who's English was better than mine (ha)and enthusiastically brought us up to date with Turkey! Most Princess tours include a carpet demonstration and that is completely optional. If you have no interest then you may excuse yourself. The carpet demo's usually happen just before free time so once you know the meeting point it's easy.

If you have a large family group I would seriously think about contracting with one of the companies recommended by other cruisers and make up your own tour so you won't miss anything.

Hope this helps.

Maureen

Hi Mag, I'll try and answer this for you since we just got off that cruise and it's still fresh in my mind.

Istanbul traffic is a nightmare so double any travel times! The tour with 18 people was only one tour. There are many tour options available from Princess. The connoisseur tours are intended to be smaller groups and the price reflects that. We were in Istanbul on a Monday when the Haggia Sofia is usually closed but since we were with Princess we were allowed access. Many independent passengers were refused entry because they weren't on a Princess Tour. We had an excellent guide who's English was better than mine (ha)and enthusiastically brought us up to date with Turkey! Most Princess tours include a carpet demonstration and that is completely optional. If you have no interest then you may excuse yourself. The carpet demo's usually happen just before free time so once you know the meeting point it's easy.

If you have a large family group I would seriously think about contracting with one of the companies recommended by other cruisers and make up your own tour so you won't miss anything.

Hope this helps.

Maureen

Thanks..we will be 6 pax and usually do contract with a private tour..I have heard folks talk about Ekol and I will be researching them. I was just thinking that maybe the PCL tour...Hagia,Topkapi, Mosque and Cistern might be a good one for us....and realistically the price differential may not be worth it to go private this time...especially if PCL has clout in Istanbul. However, according to our itin we will be in Istanbul when everything is open...so I am still thinking about it.

The reson I am concerned is that on our last Med cruise, CCL changed the Venice and Dubrovnik port days due to "port congestion" and I actually lost $149 on prepaid Doges Palace tour timed tix that I purchased from home. Had no luck trying to use them on a different day.

All other ports will will go our own thing..public transport..or whatever...but for Istanbul and Athens I was thinking PCL tours and possibly Ephesus as well...but might do private there..still thinking about it.

Thanks..we will be 6 pax and usually do contract with a private tour..I have heard folks talk about Ekol and I will be researching them. I was just thinking that maybe the PCL tour...Hagia,Topkapi, Mosque and Cistern might be a good one for us....and realistically the price differential may not be worth it to go private this time...especially if PCL has clout in Istanbul. However, according to our itin we will be in Istanbul when everything is open...so I am still thinking about it.

The reson I am concerned is that on our last Med cruise, CCL changed the Venice and Dubrovnik port days due to "port congestion" and I actually lost $149 on prepaid Doges Palace tour timed tix that I purchased from home. Had no luck trying to use them on a different day.

All other ports will will go our own thing..public transport..or whatever...but for Istanbul and Athens I was thinking PCL tours and possibly Ephesus as well...but might do private there..still thinking about it.

Hi - Will just throw in my 2 cents. We have been here many times and have used Ekol before, but my preference is ephesus.deluxe. They do both Kusadasi and Istanbul with great pricing and options (quite a bit cheaper than Ekol and better, IMHO).

Archived