train out of skagaway

david505

I was hoping to take the white pass summit ride out of skagaway. I heard that it crosses into canada and was concerned about if they check passports or not. Having a DUI on my record with-in the last 5 years I am not supposed to be able to enter canada. Was wandering if anyone has info on this. I am dying to take this trip as my Dad said how spectacular the scenery is.

Maybe some lawyer on here could give you a better answer, but I doubt your DUI would be tied-in with your passport. As long as you don't try to rent a car you should be ok.

We took that train a couple of years ago and it was great. We went as far as the train went, then by bus in the Yukon as far as Carcross.

I was hoping to take the white pass summit ride out of skagaway. I heard that it crosses into canada and was concerned about if they check passports or not. Having a DUI on my record with-in the last 5 years I am not supposed to be able to enter canada. Was wandering if anyone has info on this. I am dying to take this trip as my Dad said how spectacular the scenery is.

There is a route that does NOT go into Canada, that is the one you would want. The one that DOES go into Canada most definitely checks passports.

However, doesn't your cruise have a stop in Canada anyway? I'm assuming it's a round-trip Seattle cruise with a Victoria stop, or embarks in Vancouver and is round-trip. Aren't you concerned about that as well?

We took the roundtriip train ride from Skagway and I don't remember anyone checking our passports.

There is a route that does NOT go into Canada, that is the one you would want. The one that DOES go into Canada most definitely checks passports.

However, doesn't your cruise have a stop in Canada anyway? I'm assuming it's a round-trip Seattle cruise with a Victoria stop, or embarks in Vancouver and is round-trip. Aren't you concerned about that as well?

Our cruise is round trip from seattle with one stop in Prince Rupert... I dont plan on getting off the boat at thid port, Just visiting skagawy, ketchican, and juneau.

I took the train with the bus ride back to Yukon. We were told to make sure we had our passeports BEFORE we got on the train. We had to run back to the ship to get them. They checked everyones passeport before we got off the train.

Don't chance it. Take the train that is return without everyone getting off.

Our White Pass Yukon railway excursion went up to the border at the pass, then about 200' into Canada while they turned the engines around, and back down again. The "border station" was closed, no one got off the train up there, and there were no passport or ID checks of any kind. If the weather is good it's an absolutely stunning trip.

That being said, there are other excursions on this railway, here's a link to their page via NCL.com:

http://www.wpyr-ncl.com/

Our Alaska cruise (out of Seattle on the Pearl) included an evening stop in Vancouver. There was no passport control getting off the ship, and only quickest of glances at our NCL ship cards by the guard at the port gate on our return. We took our passports and other ID with us but were never asked to produce them.

From the page I linked above, regarding the scenic railway excursion:

"SPECIAL NOTES

No ID is required as you do not disembark the train at the summit. This tour can accommodate electric wheelchairs and scooters. Passengers with disabilities must contact the onboard Tour Office 48 hours prior to the excursion so that arrangements may be made to meet their particular needs."

Regarding the railway AND bus excursion:

"SPECIAL NOTES

Since this tour enters Canada, all guests must carry a passport. Notarized written consent is required for children traveling into Canada without both parents. Tour order may vary.

Tour Summary:

• Duration: Approximately 4.5 Hours

• Combination of Train and Motor coach

• Visit the Yukon Suspension Bridge

• Passport REQUIRED"

We took the shorter White Pass RR train ride in September. It does go slightly into Canada, but as a previous poster said, there is no check on any passports. We enjoyed our train ride and luckily had nice clear weather to see great views. Hope you do also.

They probably do "spot checks". If they say to bring a passport. You need the passport. We were on a train excursion in Skagway and they did come aboard before we got to Skagway, and did check our passports. We were on a hiking excursion. Folks from both the NCL Star and NCL Pearl were on the train. They had to radio the Star to wait for the pax because they would be late coming back, and the Star left port earlier. You can't tell people there are no passport checks just because your excursion did not have one. NCL tells you to bring the passports for a reason.

We took the shorter White Pass RR train ride in September. It does go slightly into Canada, but as a previous poster said, there is no check on any passports. We enjoyed our train ride and luckily had nice clear weather to see great views. Hope you do also.

I agree that you should take a passport if the excursion requires it, but the train ride we went on did not require having a passport. It was the 3 1/2 hour trip that went into Canada, switched engines and then went right back down the same track we went on. Nobody got off the train. I was just offering our experience and would never tell anyone they would not need a passport if it wasn't true for our experience.

the only skagway train you can take is the short round-trip. it's 3 1/2 hours, goes just past the border...but you don't get off. the train pauses to let other trains go by and then comes back down.

We rented a car and drove into Canada, so we needed our passports.

A couple we met on our flight and then ran into on the ship repeatedly

did NOT have their passports and they took the train ride to carcross.

You also did not need your passport when we stopped at Victoria, B.C.

The hubby and I were slightly confused a couple of times about the whole passport scenario -- occasionally overhead on the boat and sometimes in the flyers it would tell you to take an ID and a passport, every time we were warned about this, neither was ever checked. The only time we needed an ID was when we first boarded our cruise ship and the only time

we had to use our passports was when DRIVING in to Canada and returning back to Alaska.

Final answer with 100% confidence you do NOT need your passport for the train in skagway.

We did the train up, bus back down. Someone came onboard when we crossed into Canada and looked at our passports but they didn't scan them with a computer so I'm not sure how they would know about the DUI.

We loved this excursion (really all the Alaska excursions were great!)

It has been several years since we did the white pass into Canada and I took my passport. My mom did not get off the train but a conductor came through and checked passports. My mother has a photocopy. Well, they were very aggressive with her and she was practically in tears.

I think you'll be fine going on the train that stops at the boarder and comes back. They just shuffle the engines around. No one except the crew is allowed off the train, and no one checks documents.

However, you will not be allowed off the ship at the Canadian port. Here's an interesting article that someone referenced on the Carnival forum. Sounds like people routinely get surprised because they aren't aware that they have a status similar to yours, and with improved technology it's getting caught by officials more often these days. This it also means their travel insurance won't cover their costs when this occurs.

http://www.independenttraveler.com/resources/article.cfm?AID=729&category=35

We've been on the train twice. The first time about 9 yrs ago, we came back down on a bus and did another excursion (panning for gold).We had to show a passport that time, since we were about 5 miles into Canada.

This last time however,about 2 years ago, we stayed "buttoned up", which is what they called it when none of us got on or off, and we never had to show our passport. We just flipped our seat backs to go back the other direction, they moved the engine, and off we went.We stopped in a really strange place,without the best view, although there was still snow on the ground in June. We didn't get to see the really pretty lake I remembered from our 1st trip.

I really liked our first time on the train better, but our DD was only 7 then, and enjoyed the side excursion more. Either way, the White Pass RR is one of our favorite things to do. We even have a family song about it now :)

Have fun!!!!

The train ride is stunning if the weather will cooperate. If it is rainy and foggy, not so much.

Prince Rupert is an interesting little place. Not a tourist town for sure. There are some good excursions there and some great little restaurants in Cow Bay where you dock. Give the local seafood a chance. Not much else to see around town other than that. We have stayed there several times on the way to board the Alaska Ferries.

I really liked our first time on the train better, but our DD was only 7 then, and enjoyed the side excursion more. Either way, the White Pass RR is one of our favorite things to do. We even have a family song about it now :)

You realize that CruiseCritic policy states clearly and strictly that if you mention a "family song" in your post you are required to share the song in the post. Please comply forthwith. :D

Doesn't everyone have to clear U.S. Customs at the end of any cruise that calls on a foreign port? Unless I'm mistaken, this would be more of a concern to me than the Skagway train ride if I were the OP.

You are getting a lot of conflicting information. Here is a link to the RR website brochure. Click on the brochure and it tells you which routes REQUIRE a passport and which do not. http://www.wpyr.com/brochures/english.html

That being clarified, I will tell you our experience Sept. 2010. We took a tour with Chikoot Tours train/coach/dog cart/lunch tour that goes into Canada. We had to show our guide our passports before we left the cruise dock. We were in the train and an announcement was made that you needed to be in your seat, facing forward and you must open your passport with the picture showing and hold it up to your face. Canadian officials went through the train and looked at each person and their passport but they did not take the passports from us. They did not take our passports and check them with a computer. Now I don't doubt that they have a way to check passports more carefully if they want to, but I did not see them do that. The entire process for checking the train was quick.

This was different from our arrival in Vancouver where they actually take your passport from you, check it, ask questions, etc. I have seen threads that it is those kind of passport checks that could stop you from entering Canada. There have been threads on the DUI issue in the past. You can do a search for more details on what people have found. The train crossing we experienced was not the same kind of detailed check.

Jen in SoCal

Archived