Eastern or Western on allure/oasis with 10 month old

obsessedsc

which would be better in your opinions? we have done Eastern on our last 2 cruises (and wouldnt hesitate to go again) but wasnt sure which ports are more convienent for taking a baby along to a beach. we are beach bums in search for relaxing beautiful beaches... not into sight-seeing! will also have my parents (53 and 55) with us and my brother, 25!

thanks!

If you are looking for relaxation & beautiful beaches, then stick to the Eastern Caribbean route. I highly prefer that more than Western, especially with a small child in tow. I sailed with my son to the Western Caribbean when he was 9 months old, and though we did manage to find beautiful beaches at the ports - it wasn't anything to measure up to the beaches we have been to in the Eastern ports. I felt that Western Caribbean is more adventurous (Mayan Ruin tours, zip lining, dune buggy rides, cave tubing & such. But that's just my opinion! :)

I would stay with the Eastern Caribbean since you are familiar with the itinerary and I do think most of the beaches would be better.

Remember, plenty of sun tan lotion for the baby and not just once. The same applies to the adults.

Keith

With a baby that young, I would stick with the Eastern, especially since you are familiar with the ports. This way, you know when you need a taxi, or whether the beach is within walking distance. You know good places to eat, and what spots would be comfortable for the baby.

and...even though we have been to these ports on our last two cruises, we havent been to a beach in st. thomas (we took excursions to st. john and tortola from the port). so any advice on a great (safe) beach close by and the best way to get the baby there with us (and things to bring)!

Thanks! yall made that easy!!! now Oasis or Allure...besides finding the perfect week to travel and best price...anything that would make you pick one over the other?!

I'd pick Allure just because all the minor kinks that were found on Oasis have been fixed for the Allure (example: power outlets). Plus the Allure seems to have a tad bit more options, and it's a fairly newer ship. And of course - you can say you sailed the largest cruise ship in the world!! :)

and...even though we have been to these ports on our last two cruises, we havent been to a beach in st. thomas (we took excursions to st. john and tortola from the port). so any advice on a great (safe) beach close by and the best way to get the baby there with us (and things to bring)!

I'm visiting St Thomas in about 2 weeks with my 20 month old son. We have decided to take a taxi to Megan's Bay Beach. The water is warm, crystal clear blue, shallow and calm. It's perfect for little ones!! And it is one of the top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world according to National Geographic!

As far as bringing things - I'm keeping it simple. Beach towel, sand toys, sippy cup, and his little tent. That should be plenty for him! :)

Archived