1st oosterdam cruise 5-22-11 alaska

AZNative2000

We were on the May 22, 2011 Oosterdam sailing to Alaska from Seattle. This is all I had time to write today. More tomorrow I hope.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Arrival at SEA-TAC was smooth. We had arranged for a town-car transfer and it went very well. The cost was less than a cab and the same driver returned to take us from the hotel to the port the next morning.

Sunday, May 22 … ALL ABOARD!

Our driver picked us up at 10:40am for the short trip to Pier 91. He was nice enough to stop along the way at a Walgreen’s for one forgotten item. Still, we arrived at the pier at 11am and found all boarding operations in full swing.

Having bid farewell to our driver, we turned our checked luggage over to an eager HAL porter and entered the building. Passing through the “customs” and “security” lines was quick. As there were two ships in port (one a Princess) we made sure to get in the right line and from there it was a blur. Asking about the special line for suite passengers, we were waved on to a separate queue space with a large sign saying “Suites Only” … and we were the only ones in it. We had not even been given our questionnaires yet but we filled them out while the man took care of everything else. After getting our photos taken and being handed our cards, he told us we were in boarding group #1. Pointing to the waiting area for our group, the man said, “See the guy waving the “Group 1” sign?

As we walked that way, the group stood up to board and we walked right out to the ship. While we did have to use the crew entrance because there was something wrong with the official gangway, we were on our ship less than 30 minutes after getting out of our car and less than an hour after leaving our hotel.

Since we had read on CC that it might be ready, we went right to our cabin (SA-7075 on the starboard side just two aft of the glass elevators). Ready it was! We left our carry-ons and wandered up the hall to the Neptune Lounge (maybe a one-minute walk). There we met Joel (the concierge, we had two … named Joel and Ruel … almost rhymed). Joel reminded us about the Vista dining room lunch for returning Mariners. After some small talk, off we went.

At the Vista door we were asked for our invitation. We told the man that we had no invitation, but mentioned that the concierge had directed us there. He noticed our room cards showed that we were Mariners and let us in anyway. (We found out later that we were to have received an invitation from the man who checked us in (in Seattle). We will know to ask for it next time.

We were seated at a table for two by the windows. At the next table, was a couple from Montana. This was their tenth cruise on HAL. We conversed all through lunch and went on to become good friends over the week. I don’t remember what we ate but it was just wonderful to be aboard once again.

After lunch, we explored the ship. We noticed many similarities to the only other cruise ship we’d ever been on, Ms. Zuiderdam, but there were differences in colors and all the artwork was wonderful.

Our brief stop in the Pinnacle Grill to confirm our dinner reservations for later in the week brought big smile to our faces as we were greeted with a resounding, “I know YOU!” from one of the waiters. Andres had been our breakfast waiter every day aboard our Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam last November. How fun to see him and again every day at breakfast.

Arriving back in the cabin, all the suitcases were there except one. We unpacked as we waited for the lifeboat drill.

Because an SA will routinely accommodate FOUR and there were just two of us, this room had more storage space than we needed (6 closets, four cabinets, 12 drawers, two medicine cabinets) but we didn’t complain!

The room also had EIGHT American 115 electrical outlets … one in the bathroom, one in the dressing area, three on the desk and three more near the sofa/bar area. No need for a multi-plug here!

After the lifeboat drill, the other suitcase had found it’s way to our room and before our 4pm sailaway we were completely settled in and ready to toast our second cruise to Alaska.

Suite dwellers were invited to a “welcome aboard” soirée in the Neptune Lounge to meet the Captain, the Hotel Manager, and the Cruise Director. This party was a bit different from the others we’d attended.

Upon entry we were introduced to the three men and told that the Captain doesn’t shake hands. (So none of them did.) While we thought this unusual as it was not what we’d experienced on our other cruises, we shrugged it off as related to code orange or something and continued through the evening, but we later discovered, at the Piano Bar Captain’s cocktail party on day 5 and at the Mariner Luncheon on day seven, the man does not shake hands period.

At a much later encounter with our Cruise Director, I mentioned that the whole lack of hand shaking seemed reminiscent of a Seinfeld episode (What do you do when you are introduced to someone if you can’t shake hands? Bow, nod, ?????). I asked if it was a germ concern and, if it was, why they didn’t just wear those white gloves (and when it was over, throw them away). He shook my hand right then and explained it was the Captain’s choice and that the others did as their leader requested. Maybe the white gloves will appear on an upcoming cruise.

Because of our huge late lunch we knew we’d be happy with a light room-service dinner after the Captain’s party and we were.

Monday, May 23 … SEA DAY

Right after our Pinnacle Grill breakfast (yes they were available from the first day) our sea-day was spent exploring the ship, reading and relaxing. Our large balcony was not well used whenever the ship was cruising as, with the 20-knot wind, it may have been about 40(F) outside. We saw very few people on any balconies while the ship was moving.

Our first formal night was spent in the MDR at a very special table. We were able dine at table #122. (Thanks for the heads-up Colleyberry!) This is considered one of the “Honeymoon” tables and was very private. The extra attentive service from all three of our stewards made the meal special and the food was wonderful. The only drawback was the noise. This corner of the Oosterdam MDR is very different than the same corner on Zuiderdam. Here on the Oosterdam’s stern port corner we could hear and feel one of the azipods (engines) continuously. It even shook the wine glasses. All in all, the meal was quite enjoyable but we chose not to request that table again.

After dinner we went to the GARAGE BAND show. This is a great musical show and even much better than I’d thought it would be. If I could, I’d go again tomorrow.:D

Thank you for your report.

We also have experienced " non hand shaking", on meeting the Captain and other officers.

Knowing that not all people wash their hands, we quite understand the non hand shaking policy.

Great review - can't wait for the next part.

Nice to hear that the rooms were ready for you. Seems the new procedure is going quite smoothly;)

We've also experienced the non shaking of hands. Last time, the captain did an 'elbow' rub.:)

What company did you use for transfers? We will arrive one day early for our cruise as well and will need transport to our hotel and then the next morning to the ship. It sounds like you did similar. thanks for such a wonderful review!

What company did you use for transfers? We will arrive one day early for our cruise as well and will need transport to our hotel and then the next morning to the ship. It sounds like you did similar. thanks for such a wonderful review!
Not sure if we are allowed to post the company name or not but you can email me at AzNative2000 at hotmail dot com and I'll send you the info.:)

Told ya you'd like the ship Leigh:) And now you know why we prefer the aft wrap around, no wind issues at the very aft:)

Cannot wait for more:)

Joanie

Yes, you are correct. We do love the aft-wrap and will try to have one always (heck even got one on Carnival for November) but our late booking for this cruise meant SA or no suite. So we had to put up with it.;):):)

Thanks for your review. This being our first cruise, I can't compare it to anything, but our entire group was so pleased, we're already planning our next cruise.

We had Andres as our server when we ate dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on Thursday night. Found out, I really like lobster. :) Had it the next night with dinner too.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your experience.

Thanks for your review. This being our first cruise, I can't compare it to anything, but our entire group was so pleased, we're already planning our next cruise.

We had Andres as our server when we ate dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on Thursday night. Found out, I really like lobster. :) Had it the next night with dinner too.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your experience.

HAL had the same effect on us. We were planning our next cruise on the way home from our first one too.:) Now we do it while we are on board.:D

We, too, were at dinner in the Pinnacle Thursday night (6 PM). Sorry we missed you.;)

Continuing on …

Tuesday, May 24 … Glacier Bay Day

On this, our second visit to Alaska, many things were different. Unlike traveling out of Vancouver, on the first sea days the views were of the ocean rather than the shore. And the wildlife we spotted was swimming or flying.

Because we didn’t arrive at Glacier Bay until noon, after our Pinnacle breakfast, the morning was spent relaxing (one of our favorite things) and shopping, one of DW’s favorite things.

As we approached Glacier Bay and the ship slowed, we were able to venture out on the balcony in our winter coats for sightseeing. Sure enough, there were whales and dolphins (porpoises?) swimming near the ship. The dolphins were just off the starboard side and close enough that we could see them racing the ship under the water.

Glacier Bay was very different our second time there. Whereas last year we saw Glacier Bay, this year we also heard it. There was also much MUCH more ice floating in the bay this year. While last year we saw small bergs occasionally, this year it was constantly … and big ones too.

Part of the bay was a thick ice flow with seals on the ice. And as the ranger explained how the birds (Puffins and Gulls) feed on the food in the water, the many birds were all singing as one giant choir, filling the bay with their voices.

But the most amazing sound of all was coming from the Marjorie Glacier. I know many of you have heard it before but it was our first experience with what the ranger called ice thunder. Parked off the glacier in total silence, we could hear the ice breaking. And after several of these “claps of thunder”, a calving would occur. Last year we saw one calving. This year we saw many including two very large (for me) ones. I even got a video of one. (A shaky video because I was shaking.) But, again, the sounds of calving were new and added to the awe.

All day, we were struck by how much more snow covered the mountains than when we were there last year. I guess even the two-week time frame makes a difference. (We went June 4th last year.)

We did pass the Zaandam in Glacier Bay and I hope to post the photos I took on their roll call.

Since we didn’t depart Glacier Bay until around 8pm, and we didn’t want to miss any of the sights there, we again opted for room service dinner. The hot pea soup really hit the spot.

Wednesday, May 25 … Juneau

Juneau day started early, as did most days. As I am an early riser, I wandered the ship taking pictures for Joanie (you know … Joanie). The temperature at 6am was just 45 degrees with 92% humidity but, by the time we sailed away, it was sunny, 72 and 35%. All in all a gorgeous day filled with floatplanes flying around. I enjoy watching them taking off and landing right next to the ship.

As we had been to Juneau last year, we had no excursions planned so lots of time to just sightsee. (The bus to Mendenhall is up to $8.00 each way and still a bargain.) We just wandered and shopped. Using the Alaska coupon book given out in the Seattle port, my wife was able to collect a set of Alaska coasters. One of the four is available in four different stores.

Other ships in port that day were the Statendam, Diamond and Sapphire Princesses.

Our dinner was at the Pinnacle Grill. While many CCers find fault with the PG, we have never had a bad meal there. (Not counting way too much eating.) The friends we met the first day ate all their dinners in the PG for the whole cruise and do that on every cruise they take.

On this night, I had Lobster Bisque and Surf n Turf while Mrs. AZ had Shrimp Cocktail and Lobster. We both had the flaming Baked Alaska for dessert. It was nice to have them retrieve the other half of our wine from the MDR to accompany this meal. The service provided by Rocky and Melissa was typically excellent.

After dinner we returned to our room for sail away. And, ok, I confess, checking in on the Dallas NBA game over on Sportscenter. A bit later we spent some time in the Piano Bar. Another great ending to another great day.

Next up … the port of Sitka. Probably tomorrow ... I'm writing as fast as I have time.:)

thanks for your review. we will be on the ossterdam 6/12 in sa 7056 our first suite. we had an sc garrentee and were hoping for an sc wrap around but i guess we will have to settle for a sa. but we do drink alot of coffee . and i have heard only good things about the coffee machine.just confussed why sa cabins are more expesive than the more popular sc aft with the big balcony. i feel kind of cheated ...lol keep up the great review.we leave in a week from friday. from hot florda

Thanks for the great review !

Can you describe the procedures for muster drill on your cruise ?

We have not been on HAL for years and years ~~ drills have changed alot on Princess and Celebrity.

We'll be on the Oosterdam in October and just were curious !

Thanks .

I was on the same cruise, so I'll jump in with our muster experience. Being first-time cruisers, we didn't know what to expect. Once we got to our cabin, I found the emergency instructions on the back of the door. We knew which station to go to, based on the info on our ship cards. Shortly before the scheduled muster time, we headed towards where the map indicated. There were plenty of HAL personnell already stationed, to direct traffic to the correct muster stations. Once everybody was assembled, they sounded the alert tones, gave a demo on the life jackets, had a few more instructions, then we were all released back to explore the ship.

We did not bring our life jackets. The only people with them were the HAL crew doing the demonstrations.

thanks for your review. we will be on the ossterdam 6/12 in sa 7056 our first suite. we had an sc garrentee and were hoping for an sc wrap around but i guess we will have to settle for a sa. but we do drink alot of coffee . and i have heard only good things about the coffee machine.just confussed why sa cabins are more expesive than the more popular sc aft with the big balcony. i feel kind of cheated ...lol keep up the great review.we leave in a week from friday. from hot florda
We think the SC aft-wraps are better and others want to be in a slightly bigger room nearer the Neptune Lounge. (You are across the hall from it.) If you book a specific cabin you can mark your reservation "NO UPGRADE" and that solves the problem because HAL will contact you or your TA with "upgrade" or "paid upgrade" offers.

If you are in a guarantee, they can put you anywhere they want as long as it's at least what you paid for. I will be curious to know if the amount of foot traffic that close to the Neptune is any issue.

While you may not like the balcony, you WILL love your cabin and all those suite perks!

AND, as Sandi said, don't bring your life jackets to the drill.

Sorry this took so long ...

Thusday, May 26 … Sitka

Sitka was our only tender port and arrival was after breakfast. The tendering went very smoothly. We went on the Russian Cultural History Tour. Our driver, Bobbi, was terrific. She not only knew the history she also had the ability to explain it. She seemed to love her job. One of the highlights was watching the Russian Dance Troup. This is a group of local residents who do this on a volunteer basis and they do add to the visual history of the community. I would recommend this tour to any and all first-time Sitka visitors.

After the tour we visited the museum, ate at one of the local food places (fresh cod, yum) and wandered and shopped. We were easily back aboard prior to sail away which was good because we had planned a dinner for four at the Pinnacle with the couple we met from Montana.

It was a wonderful mix of, shrimp cocktail, lamb chops, vegetables, (DW had lobster again!) and conversation with our new friends. Their waiter (they had the same one every night at the Pinnacle) did a great job of not hurrying but timing our departure to get us all out in time for the Captain’s cocktail party.

The Captain and Hotel Manager (and the Cruise Director) greeted us upon entry (again no hand shaking) and we found a table. With our cocktails came another couple of friends, these from California. We all chatted about cruising and the California couple offered comparisons with other lines. The Montana couple had only HAL cruises to compare as did we. Listening to the Californians talk about Silversea and others and how much they liked this ship made (curious) me ask if they had chosen the Penthouse. They had. Asking about their cabin, I said that the diagrams on the HAL site are so small it’s hard to see just what the cabin looks like. Long story short, we got an invitation to come and see their cabin. I excitedly (and jokingly) asked if right now was good.:D

It wasn’t. The Californians suggested another time as we all wanted to go and see the “Illusionist” Leo Ward. This man is a combination magician and comedian and we did enjoy his show.

Friday, May 27 … Ketchikan

Ketchikan morning came early as we arrived at 7am. I was already up and watching as we swung around to the dock. Looking out over the town from the Pinnacle was another great way to start a day. Afterward, we watched as a Princess ship docked in front of us. Later, the Statendam, would dock behind us.

We had the prime parking space this year as last year it was much farther to walk to get to our tour. This time we had chosen the “Duck” tour and it was right off our stern so not much walking which was good as it was raining.

Riding the “Duck”, an amphibious craft left over from WW2 and the Korean War (Army … DUKW) was a unique experience. After meandering through Ketchikan and learning about the sights, we drove into the harbor to see the waterfront. The eagles perched along the way were a bonus.

Our early departure from Ketchikan (12:30 all aboard) meant just a bit of shopping after the “Duck” and a Lido lunch as we sailed away once more.

The afternoon was spent alternately being lazy, going to trivia, and getting a head start on packing (which is actually a four-letter word). For dinner, we again opted for room service.

Saturday, May 28 … Sea Day to Victoria

Lots to do today. After breakfast, we had to fit in the “disembarkation” talk and show before our early Mariner Lunch at 11am. The lunch was fun and we, again, got to converse with some new friends. This couple had come from San Juan to see Alaska and had loved it. I got some suggestions for future cruises from them and am now considering a San Juan departure.

In addition to the waiters handing out the tiles, the cruise director acknowledged two “Copper Medal” recipients and one “Silver Medal” cruiser.

After lunch it was back to packing and watching the sea go by.

Mid-afternoon, I called our California friends in the Penthouse and asked if it was a good time to come and be nosy (truth always :)) and they said come on over.

WOW! Touring the Penthouse is nothing like just seeing photos or the floor plan. The kitchen may larger than some cabins. They even have a room full of closets. I could go on and on but Joanie will have my photos soon enough. Yes, they told me I could take all the pictures I wanted.

After awhile, the discussion sitting around their dining room table … turned to wines. Remembering the unopened bottle in our room that we were needing :D to drink today, my DW offered to go get it. Long story short, they came to see OUR suite for comparison (SA) and, while they thought it lovely, they admitted to being spoiled and will continue to occupy HAL’s largest rooms on future cruises.

Returning to their suite, we opened the wine and shared it and stories of other cruises and life in general until the knock at the door announced the arrival of their pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres. They invited us to stay and help consume them, which we did, but when the next knock came, announcing the arrival of the steward to set their table for the dinner to come, we stood to leave. It had been over two hours. This time of socializing with great folks in a great place overlooking the sea was better than any tour we could have planned for this day.

Getting off the ship in Victoria was short and sweet. We had booked no tours, as we were unsure of the weather and the fact that we were only going to be in this “foreign port” for a few hours. This was a good decision for us, as it seemed to also be the coldest of any of the places we’d been and, being from Arizona, we had not brought big enough coats. We did buy some souvenirs but we also decided that next time we come later in the summer on an itinerary that will allow much more time here.

After a leisurely dinner back on the ship, we finished packing and got our baggage out before sail away. Time to hit the sack as tomorrow would be a long day.

Sunday, May 29 … Seattle and flying home …

At one o’clock in the morning, I found another reason to prefer the SC aft cabins we’d had before to the mid-ship cabin we were in, it was the sounds of happy crew members carrying or wheeling what seemed like hundreds of suitcases past our door to the elevator lobby (didn’t help being just one cabin from the elevators either). While they tried to be quiet, being in a cabin the farthest from an elevator naturally means hardly anyone else’s baggage has to be moved past yours.

While it was a bit noisy, the process only lasted about an hour and NO it didn’t make me complain to anyone. This is just good stuff to know for next time.

When we awoke, we completed packing and, after yet another check of the room, went to breakfast. We had been given a departure time of 9 to 9:15am and, yes, we were allowed to stay in the room until that time. The new bathrobes had appeared the night before and our final sweep had revealed a big zippered plastic bag under the bed with the next passengers’ bedding in it. So, early preparations were being made so the next group would have their cabins ready by 11:30am too.

Disembarkation …

After our last (tears) Pinnacle breakfast, we gave out gratuities to all our servers as well as our two room stewards (no flaming please).

We went to the gangway right on time and walked off the ship. At the baggage claim area, our porter was very helpful. We got all our bags and he took us straight to the HAL bus bound for the airport. We arrived at the airport at about 10:30am. Then it got crazy!

We found the Southwest check-in line to be longer than our ship. Though it snaked around the terminal, it was very long. I found I could print our boarding passes from a machine and we entered the curb-side baggage check line. This line was only about 40 people long but it still took almost an hour. There was just one man and when they opened another desk, they snuck the whole Mexico soccer team and their luggage in. We kept letting people go ahead of us who had earlier flight times. One guy going to Denver was looking at 10 minutes and still had to clear security. Another couple was in worse shape than that. And yet another man found that since his flight time had changed from 1pm to 6pm … he was too early to check in!

We exited to Southwest line right at noon and went through security in less than ten minutes, giving us time for a quick Wendy’s lunch (nobody seating me, putting a napkin on my lap, pouring me water, or anything) before our 1:30 flight.

After that it was uneventful all the way to Phoenix.

Conclusions:

We did book two future cruises (credits) so we will be back (sorry Arnold) and we will go back to Alaska.

Apparel on formal night:

People will wear what they want. We saw tuxes, suits, and some men wore a tie and jacket. Others wore shirt and tie. Women wore suits, dresses, and pants. Mostly all looked nice, though I still can’t get used to the women with tattoos wearing clothes that accentuate them. Unfortunately, there are still those who will arrive in shorts and/or t-shirts. We did see a couple turned away from the Pinnacle, both wearing shorts, as she said, “Nobody told ME it was formal night!”. I guess she didn’t look at the Explorer that day. We also watched the matr’e de in the MDR trying to find a jacket to put on a man wearing a golf shirt, levis, and sneakers.

This, the second HAL ship we’ve been on, was just as beautiful as the first. The crew is wonderful on both. The whole experience just makes me want to go again tomorrow.

If anyone has questions, just let me know.

Thanks for writing the review! Glad you had such a good time. Makes me want to book an Alaska cruise again ASAP. :D

BTW, AFAIK, you are allowed to mention independent suppliers like the limo company. I've done something similar myself.

Thanks for your review AZ, very nice balance between the ship n shore experiences especially interesting to me as a first time cruiser.:)
Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you have any questions, ask away. There are so many knowledgeable people here.:)

Thanks for your review. Can't wait til we leave on 6-12.

Can you post the name of the limo company please?

Thanks!

Don't think I'm allowed to post it but you can email me at AzNative2000 at hotmail dot com and I will send you the link. Enjoy your cruise and don't miss the Garage Band show and/or the illusionist.:)

Here is the Oosterdam in the harbor off Sitka. It's got to look a bit cooler than Florida.:D:D

OSITKA_0196.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived