Restrictions on Use of Shipboard Credit (OBC)

MightyQuinn

I just received an e-mail from PG announcing shipboard credit offers of $500 to $1000 per stateroom on select sailings. Nothing new there. BUT the fine print now reads:

*Maximum $1,000 per stateroom on our 14-night itinerary, $500 per stateroom on all other itineraries. Select sailings and new bookings only. Offer may be combined with free 3rd guest in stateroom offer and 5% past guest savings. Shipboard credit may not be used to purchase shore excursions. Expires June 30, 2011. Restrictions apply. Call for details.

So it seems like OBC can no longer be used for shore excursions, at least on this promo. Wonder if it will be the case across the board on all sailings? We used almost all our OBC on PG shorex on our recent cruises and, quite frankly, would have found it difficult to spend otherwise.

Trouble in Paradise!!

I left a message for my TA to ascertain that this didnt apply to us! It would be fair for them to do this after the fact....

If it does this will be the year we have been had!!

First Azamara changes their mind about 50% excursions and although we fulfilled booking conditions we dont get the deal.

Then, Regent decides to make us second class citizens as they amend various booking dates for us who usually book the G category after we have booked a cruise.

And now this???

I am sure I will find something in the shop to buy or a nice bottle of Veuve maybe but I feel really bad for my friends who booked this cruise knowing that they could spend the OBC for excursions.

I looked back at my emails and the first one that gave this restriction was on May 6,2011. All emails before that do not contain that rule. I would think that those of us who booked before they changed that rule and especially those of us who made our final payment before then would still get to use it for excursions. I will be upset too if they tell us otherwise.

I think PG will have a tough time implementing this. Their website hasn't been updated to show the new OBC restriction, so unless you received the recent e-mail and read the fine print, how would you know? Previous e-mails that promoted shipboard credit actually mentioned shore excursions as a possible use. I'm sure most people who booked with OBC are fully expecting to use it without restriction. I think PG will have a PR problem if they table-drop this notice once people are on-board.

True but what can we do once we are on board? We are stuck with what they decide. Hopefully they will do the right thing. I sent a note to the TA that I was working with but now she's out until the day before we leave so I will call tomorrow and get an answer I hope.

I will not let this ruin anything! This will be an amazing trip!

Beth, I also hope PG will do the right thing - and I think they will!

At the very least, I think this new restriction on OBC would apply to those who booked AFTER the rule change, while those who booked before would not be affected. That's why I think PG will have a tough time in implementation. On any particular sailing, there will be folks who booked both before and after the change. Can you imagine trying to sort out who's who once on-board? A PR nightmare. Which is why I think you'll be just fine.

We don't get any OBC booking from here!!:(

I would be interested if ANY kiwis did!! How about Australians, do you get any OBC?:confused:

Oh look, my countdown is now at single digits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

The only people who dont get OBC are Vantage passengers who sometimes get extra nights in a hotel instead.

Who have you booked with - you should check with your agent as there is OBC on the website for 2011.

Yes, I do think they will have trouble, and I hope, Emdee, that it works out for you.

But..., I think this is just a plain bad policy, if permanent. I hope everybody who gets this benefit complains very loudly about this restriction--stupid, just a ruse to get you to spend money on the ship, I guess.

I heard back from my TA (we booked directly with PG) and she said:

OBC can only be used on board and can be used to book shore excursions, spa treatments and purchase items in the boutique while onboard.

She did point out that excursions booked ahead of time can not be bought with OBC which I did know from the start. Since they are encouraging booking ahead now maybe that's why they added that rule? She didn't respond to my comment that the * had changed on the emails... *

Yes, I do think they will have trouble, and I hope, Emdee, that it works out for you.

But..., I think this is just a plain bad policy, if permanent. I hope everybody who gets this benefit complains very loudly about this restriction--stupid, just a ruse to get you to spend money on the ship, I guess.

I agree but then as a novice to OBC we thought of it as a bonus, thinking the price of the trip would have been the same even without them. Whatever, I'm sure we will find ways to spend it this trip.

I agree but then as a novice to OBC we thought of it as a bonus, thinking the price of the trip would have been the same even without them. Whatever, I'm sure we will find ways to spend it this trip.

Agreed. The best way to spend it, if it's big enough: black pearls!!! (In fact, I now have changed my mind, if big enough, these OBC's would be a feature--if we couldn't spend it on excursions, I'd have to buy another pearl!!)

Agreed. The best way to spend it, if it's big enough: black pearls!!! (In fact, I now have changed my mind, if big enough, these OBC's would be a feature--if we couldn't spend it on excursions, I'd have to buy another pearl!!)

Wendy - you took the words out of my mouth. Where's the problem? Tahia Collins shop on board. LOL

The only people who dont get OBC are Vantage passengers who sometimes get extra nights in a hotel instead.

Who have you booked with - you should check with your agent as there is OBC on the website for 2011.

We are not "Vantage passengers" - whatever that is. :confused: And we do not get any hotel accommodation included either:eek:

I would be very interested if there are any kiwis who have received OBC. I have mentioned "in passing" to our TA that the American passengers get OBC ....and where's ours - nil response. Might call in again tomorrow and ask the question of the TA owner who has just returned from overseas :)

Kiwiuk,

We are Canadian and get the OBC. From what I recall even French passengers have received it in the past.

There are a couple of kinds of OBC: OBC given by the cruiseline. You should check the website for your cruise date and see if it is offered by PG cruises.

One other way to get an OBC is if you hold an AMEX Platinum or Centurion card and book your trip with it.

Finally, some TAs give an OBC as an incentive.

I know that OBCs are not yet offered on the 2012 itineraries by the cruiseline - when are you travelling.

FYI Vantage is a company who organizes tours for Seniors.

We are not "Vantage passengers" - whatever that is. :confused: And we do not get any hotel accommodation included either:eek:

I would be very interested if there are any kiwis who have received OBC. I have mentioned "in passing" to our TA that the American passengers get OBC ....and where's ours - nil response. Might call in again tomorrow and ask the question of the TA owner who has just returned from overseas :)

We are Kiwi sailing on the 15 th July and have booked a package through ANZ but no OBC or meals just pre- cruise accommodation and transfers.

Hi Wendy,

It wasnt on the list for the Canadian Plat. My agent sepcifically checked this out and said it would apply and gave me the AMEX booking number.

Miriam

Oh nice! I'll have to try to remember that for the future, if we can ever get to the PG again.

The Agent had offered a $300 OBC in addition to the PG $500 but using the AMEX plat also entitled us to a pearl worth $250.00

This may be like the pearl you were supposed to get on ATN!!!

We are Kiwi sailing on the 15 th July and have booked a package through ANZ but no OBC or meals just pre- cruise accommodation and transfers.

Thanks for that sasha, feel better now that it's not just us missing out.

We went on a morning Harbour Cruise with Mondo in Feb, where all the different cruise lines had representatives. We got a one day deal, but had to cough up big deposit to hold it - worth it though.

But I am still going into the TA this morning and giving it another go:D

Archived