Thoughts on the molecular bar

Jo and Rob

I keep reading about the molecular bar and am not sure what it is! It has just been listed as a highlight of a cruise so I feel I need to know more! ;)

We are not big alcohol drinkers (drinks on cruise ships seem to be too strong for us :confused:) so we would not head for somewhere like the martini bar but is the Molecular bar somewhere we should visit?

We love doing video and taking lots of photographs so we don't want to miss out on a hidden gem, however is there anything we could order that wouldn't blow our heads off? Also I saw one picture of a drink that looked like it was steaming, what was that???

What drink would you recommend a nervous first timer? :o

Just back off Eclipse after a back to back , most evenings there were only 4 or 6 people there. The mixologist demonstrated how he made the drinks at the restaurant demonstration in the atriim. He made several 'samples'. of various drinks. On the first cruise, at the end of all the demonstations, the pasengers then crowded round the tables, one drink evidently was not to anyones taste, as at least 3 different people sampled it, and put it back down on the table. Yuck!

On the second leg, as soon as he had finished his demo, passenger were helping themselves to the samples, whilst the other demonstrations were going on!

Richard

We tried a drink a couple of times at this bar but apart from the novelty of having the drinks with the frozen ice ?? Not the correct terminology but you know what I mean I did not think this bar had any atmosphere so will not be visiting this bar again on our next cruise .

It's the Martini bar for us our favourite .

Cheers

Liz

Also I saw one picture of a drink that looked like it was steaming, what was that???

:o

The steam is liquid nitrogen as it boils and turns back into a gas. Chilly

We had the drinks package so were able to experiment as the drinks are $13.75.

First drink I had was not good for me, so I tried something else.

On Eclipse the room tv has some on demand features showing various construction footage etc.

One of the features is about the Molecular bar, which is not on the deck plans. It is in "Galleria Tastings" near the art gallery on deck 5.

Agree with others that it can be lacking in atmosphere and quiet. The main novelty is the unusual ingredients. More fresh fruits, petals etc.

Watch the feature and you may be tempted. Ask the staff, they will be keen to demonstrate their knowledge.

find out when the demonstration is held in your daily. bring the camera because it makes for great pix. last year there was buy one get one half off from 5 to 6 every evening on the equinox. we got some great photos of steamy drinks and drinks made from rose petals and hot peppers. awesome beverages and photos.

On two Equinox cruises we've never stopped and had a drink here. Although the different and unusual concoctions are interesting to me, both times we went there the atmosphere did nothing for us and we high tailed it to the Martini Bar. Can't pin it down, maybe just too well lite and to "wide open"??

Just my opinion and our taste, I know others love it.

Try the Dragonfly - the first sip we both said, hmm, not sure, but the more we drank it the better we liked it! Not too strong, made with fruit juices, etc. and really fun to watch the bartender! Enjoy!

We had the drinks package so were able to experiment as the drinks are $13.75.

We too will have the premium package, but I thought it only included drinks up to $12.00 It would be great if these drinks were also included.

We too will have the premium package, but I thought it only included drinks up to $12.00 It would be great if these drinks were also included.

Ships sailing out of Southampton have the 15% gratuity included in the menu prices. $12 + 15% = $13.75. Molecular bar drinks are included in the Premium package.

For us, the Molecular bar was a dud. We just got off the Solstice on 5/26 and the bartender was so horribly pretentious and full of himself that our one visit to the bar was more than enough. We stuck with the Martini bar and Celler Masters.

When we were on the Solstice in March, Ricardo was the "liquid chef" on duty at the Molecular Bar. He was extremely friendly and engaging and we ended up spending most of our evenings with him. It was often the case that our party of four plus another group of four would be the only people at the bar for most of the time we were there. It would get a little busier prior to and after shows (the balcony to the theater is close). Reading some of the posts concerning other bartenders at this location, I get the impression the Molecular Bar really depends on the "liquid chef" on duty. Ricardo, I can report, was an exceptional highlight of our entire cruise.

As far a drink that "won't blow you head off," I'd recommend the Autumn Harvest. It tastes just like an apple pie. Many of the drinks at this Bar are made with fresh fruits and other ingredients and tend to be a bit sweeter and less alcohol-y, which is why the wives in our groups liked this Bar best.

Hopefully, you'll have a good bartender on your cruise; I'd recommend at least checking out the Bar at least once during the cruise.

Have a great time!

Rob

I keep reading about the molecular bar and am not sure what it is! It has just been listed as a highlight of a cruise so I feel I need to know more! ;)

We are not big alcohol drinkers (drinks on cruise ships seem to be too strong for us :confused:) so we would not head for somewhere like the martini bar but is the Molecular bar somewhere we should visit?

We love doing video and taking lots of photographs so we don't want to miss out on a hidden gem, however is there anything we could order that wouldn't blow our heads off? Also I saw one picture of a drink that looked like it was steaming, what was that???

What drink would you recommend a nervous first timer? :o

There are WAY more things at the Molecular Bar than just the novelty "frozen" drinks. They have a menu of drinks... they are very very interesting and good. One of my favorite drinks on the Solstice is at the Molecular Bar... it's the Tanned Russian and it's one of theee best drinks! I can't wait to get my hands on that Tanned Russian again!:D It really is an interesting bar.

I loved the Molecular Bar on Equinox and spent several nights there. There is a large variety of very interesting and unique drinks; many of which or more sweet than strong - so somebody who does not like the taste of alcohol likely would have several options. Tell the bartender what type of drinks you generally enjoy and they will be happy to make a recommendation. On my last cruise they also had each night a different tasting held in this bar, such as a flight of sparkling wine cocktails, martini tasting, vodka tasting etc. The tastings tended to attract a large crowd, so you had to arrive early to get a seat and some of the senior officers would frequently stop by to mingle. Outside of the tastings the bar has a more tame, quiet vibe compared to the martini bar, but I enjoyed chatting with the bartender and his assistant even when the bar was relatively empty.

I loved the drinks at the Molecular bar. It's, as mentioned, less social than the Martini bar, but if you're with people that you'd like to chat w/, conversation is a lot easier at the Molecular Bar. You tend to see the same people there each evening. I've been mostly a martini drinker for about 30 years, but when on the S class ships, I do my drinking at the Molecular Bar.

We didn't have the drink package. We sailed on the Solstice in April. We found the Martini bar more sociable and friendly.

I am a patient person and not very demanding. I go with the flow. My wife and I went to the Molecular bar to try a drink. We sat down and waited and waited as the BT was busy chatting with the only 2 other customers. We finally left after 15 minutes.

Later on we decided to try it again. Sat down and were the only 2 customers, when the bartender arrived we asked a question about the drinks and he said there was a demonstration and we should have attended it. We thanked him and left. He was no the friendliest and I guess that is why the bar was never crowded.

Here are a couple pictures of the Molecular Bar - the first is of one of the drinks with the liquid nitrogen (Alvaro, the bartender is in the background). Consider yourself lucky if Alvaro is on your sailing; he is very friendly and makes wonderful beverages! The second picture is of my wife and I enjoying the sparkling wine cocktail flight; each evening in the Molecular Bar they had tastings of different themed flights.

232323232%7Ffp63278%3Enu%3D3285%3E%3B65%3E466%3EWSNRCG%3D355845429532%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp633%3A3%3Enu%3D3285%3E%3B65%3E466%3EWSNRCG%3D355845428%3A32%3Bnu0mrj

Here are a couple pictures of the Molecular Bar - the first is of one of the drinks with the liquid nitrogen (Alvaro, the bartender is in the background). Consider yourself lucky if Alvaro is on your sailing; he is very friendly and makes wonderful beverages! The second picture is of my wife and I enjoying the sparkling wine cocktail flight; each evening in the Molecular Bar they had tastings of different themed flights.

232323232%7Ffp633%3A3%3Enu%3D3285%3E%3B65%3E466%3EWSNRCG%3D355845428%3A32%3Bnu0mrj

Gonzo, great picture:). I have never sailed with Alvaro....I met

Kelby and also Jr before (he is the Mastermind behind the concept).

You are a great looking couple:)

Gonzo, great picture:). I have never sailed with Alvaro....I met

Kelby and also Jr before (he is the Mastermind behind the concept).

You are a great looking couple:)

Thank you. :)

On my Oct cruise my GF and I tried out the Molecular Bar. We were both interested by the drinks there but a bit disappointed by the bartender. He just seemed very full of himself. We greatly preferred the Martini bar and the waiters there, especially Adrian. They just seemed to be there more for the customer than the Molecular Bar bartender was.

I absolutely love the look of this drink! What was it called? What was in it? Did it blow your head off? How much was it? How long does it smoke like that?

Hi:), every drink on the menu is the same price...they are are 12.00.

I can't remember the name of the drink in the picture but when I sail

S class I love this bar too.

We have had the pleasure of sailing with Alvaro...and the pleasure of the drinks he prepared !! He was truly a kind and genuine individual, and it was a honor to get to know him !!

Though the Molecular Bar was not a "jumping place"...Our party of 4 made it a daily stop before dinner...ok, and after too !!;):D

Archived