Colosseum underground for July open

Pean

Just booked our tickets for the underground tour in July, we visited the colosseum 3 years ago and are looking forward to a different view. I know several people wanted to know when they became available. Cheers

Just booked our tickets for the underground tour in July, we visited the colosseum 3 years ago and are looking forward to a different view. I know several people wanted to know when they became available. Cheers

Thanks - which number did you call and did they speak English ?

The number is 011390639967700. Press 0 at the first prompt and 3 at the second. The guy I spoke to had fairly good English which was great as my Italian is non existent. He was lovely and even though we confused each other a bit he was always charming and apologized for his English.

The number is 011390639967700. Press 0 at the first prompt and 3 at the second. The guy I spoke to had fairly good English which was great as my Italian is non existent. He was lovely and even though we confused each other a bit he was always charming and apologized for his English.

We have also reserved for our September tour, although nothing is guaranteed. We went through ticket italy dot com site

LidoLiz

I had actually posted about this earlier this week on the thread that talks about Colosseum tickets. I did mine through TicketItaly.com because I didn't want to chance them selling out before I could call.

We got our confirmation back by the end of the day and the link to print the voucher to get in. We were also able to get our early time choice for 9 people.

There are only 3 times listed for each day in English. My suggestion is if you know you will want them, don't wait.

They are actually available to book for both July and August. We have ours booked for August. From what I understand they will take reservations for September (at least tickitaly) but won't guarantee they will be available.

Sorry, I was checking regularly but must have missed the earlier post. The only thing I would say is you may be better booking through Pierecci, which is the number I gave and the official site, as the cost is 21.5 euros instead of 27.5 through Tickitaly. We are a party of 11 so that was a big saving. Cheers

Walks of Italy is also just been added as an allowed private tour guide of the underground and upper levels. So far they are the only company I have found offering private tours. I expect others will be added at some point.

Thanks for this very quick response. I called it but it was just out of hours and rather than wait for the next morning I went to tickitaly.com and 'booked' what I wanted. They (Tickitaly) say that they will confirm an order within 36 hours but it was actually only 10, so that was Ok, but I imagine if you could actually speak to someone you might get it confirmed then and there so that would still be my preference, plus it will be a bit cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get a private tour with a smaller group, do so instead of the tour offered by the Colosseum itself. We had this incorporated into a Real Rome tour and while the Real Rome part was wonderful, the tour guide from the Colosseum for the underground portion spoke too quietly for the entire group to hear (plus her English was very heavily accented, so while you were trying to decipher a word with a weird accented syllable, she had quietly gone on to something else and then you were completely lost). I was disappointed in this portion of the tour, EXCEPT for the fact that I got a great shot of the area where the movie Jumpers was filmed. :D

We did this tour in April and loved a lot of it but I have to agree with the poster about the tour guide. We had a hard time hearing him and he was hard to understand. It was still wonderful however and we were extremely happy to have seen the Colesuem on this tour instead of the standard tour. The underground was very interesting but what was wonderful were the views from the top tier. Make sure you look outward when you're up there -- the views are just spectacular. You see the ancient buildings of Rome in a way that you don't get from the ground view.

We will be doing the Underground Colosseum tour (also includes Forum and Palatine Hill) through Walks of Italy in July... The other tour companies that I came across that are offering underground tours are Dark Rome and New Rome Free Tour (although this one is only by request in a private group). From what I've read online, the underground and upper level portions of the tour with Walks of Italy are given by their own guide and not official Colosseum guides.

Archived