How do you cruise so often?

msstarr22

We do one 'big' (>$7000.00) vacation a year. Last year, it was WDW as a family. This year it's a cruise to Alaska with just my husband.

As a family though this year, we have camped already this summer (and have another upcoming weekend camping trip planned) and have gone to Schlitterbahn water park and we also hit the movies once a week. In addition to these things we do together, our kids are pretty active without us; our youngest will be going to BSA camp for a week, and our oldest is a junior in college and is taking classes this summer.

We do splurge when we go on vacation-- we book a suite and do not skimp on excursions-- if it seems like something we want to do, then we do it. If there is a souvenier that someone wants, then yes, we get it. We do not drink, nor do we gamble. It's all about choices. As for how we do it... my husband is a police officer. He works "extra jobs". These extra jobs fund our play times. We don't use credit cards-- everything we do is paid in cash. It's nice not being surprised at the end and working for something that's already a memory. You know?

I agree with you. I think the majority of regular posters on here are probably more responsible/financially stable than the average american. At least everyone CLAIMS to be. But yes, I'll wager the average cruiser on CCL puts at least a portion of the cruise on a Credit Card that is not paid.

Thank you. It is those who think they are fine financially are the ones who are in trouble and when the economy goes south (like it just did) are impacted the most.

And you are right. People can CLAIM they are not in debt, but it is the internet, where everyone can post they make 6 figures, etc.

I see the reality on a daily basis

Thank you. It is those who think they are fine financially are the ones who are in trouble and when the economy goes south (like it just did) are impacted the most.

And you are right. People can CLAIM they are not in debt, but it is the internet, where everyone can post they make 6 figures, etc.

I do think that most posters and more responsible than the general public, but also I think that when EVERYONE claims to pay off their cruises before they cruise, ALL have A student angel children, and all tip 40%.....I'm guessing not all people are 100% honest about it.

I do think that most posters and more responsible than the general public, but also I think that when EVERYONE claims to pay off their cruises before they cruise, ALL have A student angel children, and all tip 40%.....I'm guessing not all people are 100% honest about it.

I can only speak for myself.

You can pay for the fare before you cruise but not necessarily your sign and sail card balances.

I can only speak for myself.

You can pay for the fare before you cruise but not necessarily your sign and sail card balances.

I agree in total. I think everyone should have the money to buy every purchase they make. But that certainly isn't the case in general in this country, especially in my children of the 80's generation.....

We start saving for the next vacation as soon as we get back from the current one. We also charge everything we possibly can (to get the points) and pay off the balance every month.

On average, we have around $600 each year from points alone to help with vacation! We don't count this toward our actual vacation that we're saving for so it's a big cushion for those unexpected "got to have it" moments on the trip!

If you can make yourself pay off your CC every month you can rack up some serious money from points! But...you HAVE to be diligent!

We start saving for the next vacation as soon as we get back from the current one. We also charge everything we possibly can (to get the points) and pay off the balance every month.

On average, we have around $600 each year from points alone to help with vacation! We don't count this toward our actual vacation that we're saving for so it's a big cushion for those unexpected "got to have it" moments on the trip!

If you can make yourself pay off your CC every month you can rack up some serious money from points! But...you HAVE to be diligent!

We do the same thing and the first thing we do when we get home from a cruise is check our credit card statement and pay it off

Not necessarily. We purchase Fun Ship Dollars from Bon Voyage pre cruise to have applied to our account before we sail. A little bit here, a little bit there. Then we aren't completely shocked at the end. If you develop a budget-whatever it may be, and stick with it, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to walk on board and have everything taken care of other than gratuties for your excursions or room service.

I may pay for my cruise ahead of time, however, I'll also be the first one to stand up and say that my kids are not perfect; one is dyslexic and really struggles in school. The other is book smart, however has no common sense :rolleyes:. The percentage I tip is based on the services rendered. Sometimes 40%, sometimes a penny if it is particulary crappy.

Now that you've made your point (several times), perhaps you could quit assuming you know ANYTHING about the finances of the approx 50 posters on this thread or the other people on CC who sail often. Since you are such a financial wiz, you should have at least SOME background in statistics and know that the sample of people on CC that cruise often is not relevant when considering the size of the cruising population. Your confidence interval is WAY off.

:( For the life of me I cannot figure out how everyone here can cruise so much? I am an average person from Ohio. Not rich by any means but we have money for a trip or two. I see some taking 5 or more cruises a year. I just don't get it.

I think the Ohio part is the problem. As you've noticed, MOST of the people who are lucky enough to cruise often live close enough to a port to drive. Not all, of course, but most.

Everyone says that having no kids helps but I disagree. Am leaving in a couple of days with the whole family and I couldn't pay to feed my teenagers on a land based vacation, not after paying for lodging, entertainment, etc.

Although, I will admit, the 7 day cruises have been without the kids. This weekend will be the start of their first 5 day. Luckily, the port is only 6 hours from home by car!

Sea Dream really must be dreaming. While other luxury cruise line have reduced their prices for Transatlantics, theirs have quite literally doubled. We rather liked ours on SDI last year, but at twice the money, you've got to be kidding!

Sea Dream really must be dreaming. While other luxury cruise line have reduced their prices for Transatlantics, theirs have quite literally doubled. We rather liked ours on SDI last year, but at twice the money, you've got to be kidding!

hscratch2.gif

I am not wrong. It is not a silly thing to say or being judgemental. Majority are living well beyond their means. I see it everyday in my line of work.

While it is true that the majority in our nation are irresponsible and live beyond their means....that does not mean they are avid cruisers.

IF they are living beyond their means...they probably could squeeze ONE cruise a year on the overworked credit card...but not 7....because if they are living beyond their means...that means they have car notes, house notes and are overloaded on credit card debt from every day life.....

If it makes you feel better to think that...go right ahead.

So true. Isn't the internet great?

Now that you've made your point (several times), perhaps you could quit assuming you know ANYTHING about the finances of the approx 50 posters on this thread or the other people on CC who sail often. Since you are such a financial wiz, you should have at least SOME background in statistics and know that the sample of people on CC that cruise often is not relevant when considering the size of the cruising population. Your confidence interval is WAY off.

I know more than you think. Yes I have made it several times when it was QUESTIONED several times. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Of course I know nothing of the finances of the people on here, but I do know the reality in that debt is at an all time high and to see everyone here make post after post say they always pay off in full and never have any debt just simply defies the odds.

The truth always makes me feel better.:D

Sadly YOUR OPINION and the TRUTH are not always the same thing.....most people are mature enough to know the difference.....

The OP asked a questioned and folks answered it....if that makes some others jealous....that is just sad.....

Of course I know nothing of the finances of the people on here, but I do know the reality in that debt is at an all time high and to see everyone here make post after post say they always pay off in full and never have any debt just simply defies the odds.

So if you admit to being clueless about the people's finances who cruise a lot (not the majority of cruisers by far) .. why make assumptions you cant back up .. since there is no way for anyone to know.

I have always been a cash person, paid off credit cards the month they are due. My only credit card is RCL to get money off RCL cruises. My parents are floating in money and they were examples of how to not incur debt. I have no debts, and the only debts I ever incur have been for buying houses which I usually resell for a profit. (flipping). Iv paid cash for every car Iv ever owned.

Im talking about those of us who cruise a lot. LHP explained also that if you are living paycheck to paycheck you probably arent doing 7 cruises a year. I can afford to do what I want now, but I earned every penny.

This thread isnt about the average cruiser .. its about those of us who choose to cruise a lot.

Sadly YOUR OPINION and the TRUTH are not always the same thing.....most people are mature enough to know the difference.....

The OP asked a questioned and folks answered it....if that makes some others jealous....that is just sad.....

I see the truth everyday. So no it is not just my opinion. Why you jealous I know the truth?:D

Guess that makes you sad then.:p

So if you admit to being clueless about the people's finances who cruise a lot (not the majority of cruisers by far) .. why make assumptions you cant back up .. since there is no way for anyone to know.

I have always been a cash person, paid off credit cards the month they are due. My only credit card is RCL to get money off RCL cruises. My parents are floating in money and they were examples of how to not incur debt. I have no debts, and the only debts I ever incur have been for buying houses which I usually resell for a profit. (flipping). Iv paid cash for every car Iv ever owned.

Im talking about those of us who cruise a lot. LHP explained also that if you are living paycheck to paycheck you probably arent doing 7 cruises a year. I can afford to do what I want now, but I earned every penny.

This thread isnt about the average cruiser .. its about those of us who choose to cruise a lot.

Not assumptions at all.

Not assumptions at all.

Maybe I just have too much education .. but since you have no way to measure the savings or incomes of people who cruise a lot or people who claim to cruise a lot .. by definition whatever you believe about us, .. its a assumption.

...but of course I have a lot of mathmetical background and statistics .. so I know what is known and what is assumed .. assumed means what you believe that cannot be proven. Look up the definition of assumption. People on here do get upset because I can be too literal.. but I know words, even if I cant spell them. .. ok, Im done. can lead a mule to water, but cant make him drink or learn what words mean.

Dude

U are so right about the credit card

We buy everything on our card ( haven't paid intrest in many many years)

I even tried to buy our car on it but the dealer would not take it lol

Love the points

Also it's about priorities

Archived