Booking Questions

VAMommy

Hi everyone!

I was wondering how you book your cruise. Do you go through Carnival? A travel agent? I was told it was better to go directly through Carnival but no one could really tell me why.

I'm planning a 7-day cruise on the Splendor to the Mexican Riviera for my 40th birthday (not until Apr 2013) with my 3 sisters and I like that Carnival will allow us to make payments between now and 2 months prior to sailing.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about booking our cruise is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!

Lea :)

If you book thru a TA you are now at their mercy... several threads where TAs dragged their heels on price drops. Their commission is cut, so there is no incentive for them to get you a lower price.

If you book ES rate direct thru Carnival YOU can submit the form and get the price drop yourself.

My opinion is unless you are getting significant perks, like $100 or more, and no fees, I would book direct.

You can book on line, or directly with Carnival by phone, and when you have quesitons you can contact them directly. If you go through a travel agent you have to wait for information, they are not 24/7 like Carnival is. The two Fascination cruises I did directly on line-easy as pie. Check out cabins before you book(they will all tell you that every cabin is fantastic) even the ones that aren't (LOL) This last cruise I booked using two credit cards, and had to go by phone trough Carnival. The internet these days kind of leaves the travel agent in the dirt:(, but you are employing all those Carnival people :)

You can also book through a Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner). I think to get one you simply need to ask to speak with one when you call Carnival. I got mine through someone else and we aren't allowed to share PVP names here...sorry!

The benefit of a PVP is you have a single contact at Carnival that can help you every time you have a question.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering how you book your cruise. Do you go through Carnival? A travel agent? I was told it was better to go directly through Carnival but no one could really tell me why.

I'm planning a 7-day cruise on the Splendor to the Mexican Riviera for my 40th birthday (not until Apr 2013) with my 3 sisters and I like that Carnival will allow us to make payments between now and 2 months prior to sailing.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about booking our cruise is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!

Lea :)

Aloha, Lea and welcome to Cruise Critic!!!

Being your first cruise I'd recommend you use a Personal Vacation Planner from Carnival. For the most part, these folks are tremendously helpful and knowledgeable. Should you have questions that your PVP is having some problems with you can feel to ask here! The experience level and knowledge on this site is amazing!

:)

most any cruiselines will allow you to make payments.

(after the initial down payment which hurts at first.

7 day cruise you need 250pp down and I make a payment each pay of 50.00

My january cruise will be paid off before we go to Aruba in Sept. woo hoo.

(i have made the payments on royal and princess too)

I use an agent- I let her do my work for me- if the price drops she does it- with carnival you gotta do all the paperwork-no thnaks.

the prices are the same.

I also recommend you book through Carnival directly. No reason to have a middle man when you don't have to. A PVP will know just as much if not more than a TA about Carnival cruises. Plus you'll know your money is going directly to Carnival and payments are on time.

I recently booked one through the site of a discount airline that flies orange and blue planes (I don't know if we're allowed to mention company names here).

The price was the same as everywhere else, but the points earned for the cruise purchase almost completely covered our airfare with them. :)

Lenny

Thanks so much for everyone's input! ;)

This will actually be my 2nd cruise - I just got back the Imagination Key West/Cozumel (5/23-5/27) and had a blast!!

I will check out the PVP route. I am very much a planner, hence me putting everything together now! I even created a spreadsheet with the formulas so work out the "what if" scenarios!!

Thanks again for your replies! I look forward to reading everyone's suggestions, reviews, and soaking up all the knowledge!

Thanks so much for everyone's input! ;)

This will actually be my 2nd cruise - I just got back the Imagination Key West/Cozumel (5/23-5/27) and had a blast!!

I will check out the PVP route. I am very much a planner, hence me putting everything together now! I even created a spreadsheet with the formulas so work out the "what if" scenarios!!

Thanks again for your replies! I look forward to reading everyone's suggestions, reviews, and soaking up all the knowledge!

. A PVP will know just as much if not more than a TA about Carnival cruises..

This statement is not correct. SOme of those people probably never sailed a ship in their life. You can call carnival many times with the same question and get varying answers.

Hopefully u get one with knowledge.

SInce you are a planner- look at the deck plans. See what is over and below cabins. Make your spread sheet of cabins that you would like to check out.

Remember- the higher you go the more you pay.

Archived