All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Hi everyone - leaving next month on the 9 night..

those who are just back is it true that their are the (2) formal nights and the rest casual - they took away the (2) smart casual?

Also, i love the pool and hear horror stories about getting a lounge - what time would i need to get by the pool to get a lounge in the sun?

And last - do they give u shampoo and conditioner?

Thank U

They advertise smart casual, as well as casual and formal, but I found people choose to wear what they want to the MDR, regardless of what is "suggested" for that evening. On the smart casual and casual nights, we saw everything from shorts, jeans, or nice dress pants for men, and shorts, jeans, sun dresses, or capris for women.

Most people dressed up for formal night but certainly not everyone.

We were mostly out by the pool around 10:30-11 am on the sea days and there were plenty of chairs in the sun. There was actually more of an issue getting chairs in the shade. As long as you don't mind being a little bit away from the pool, you will certainly find plenty of spots. We found the most space up by the Sky Bar, towards the front of the ship.

They provide a shampoo/conditioner/body wash combination in a dispenser on the wall. We bring our own.

Really? i thought Jeans and Shorts were NOT allowed??

i am bringing shampoo for myself but for the kids and my husband, they don't care what they use.

They advertise smart casual, as well as casual and formal, but I found people choose to wear what they want to the MDR, regardless of what is "suggested" for that evening. On the smart casual and casual nights, we saw everything from shorts, jeans, or nice dress pants for men, and shorts, jeans, sun dresses, or capris for women.

Most people dressed up for formal night but certainly not everyone.

We were mostly out by the pool around 10:30-11 am on the sea days and there were plenty of chairs in the sun. There was actually more of an issue getting chairs in the shade. As long as you don't mind being a little bit away from the pool, you will certainly find plenty of spots. We found the most space up by the Sky Bar, towards the front of the ship.

They provide a shampoo/conditioner/body wash combination in a dispenser on the wall. We bring our own.

In St. Thomas i booked the Sea Lion Swim at Coral World - anyone do it?

St. Martin - i booked "Bernards" tour for my son and I

St. Martin - my husband and son are doing the Kyack/snorkeling excursion thru the ship - any reviews?

Bermmuda we'll be taking the Bus to Megan's Bay

San Juan - walking around - probably go to one of the ports

any one do any of the above - reviews?

oops Bermuda we are heading to Horeshoe bay

St. Martin - my husband and son are doing the Kyack/snorkeling excursion thru the ship - any reviews?

Magens Bay is in St. Thomas.:eek:

You won't be allowed to board until all the previous cruises passengers have disembarked. This is typically around 11:30 - noonish. We arrived at the port around 12:15 and were able to walk right up to check-in and get on board without any waiting.

Typically I arrive a LOT earlier to other ports (10:30, 11 am) but was glad we waited for this one, since boarding didn't start until noon, which is later than I'm used to.

I would recommend not arriving before 11 am, since most cruisers aren't even off the boat yet and there will be a lot of congestion with dropping off luggage. If you do arrive before they start allowing boarding, there is space to sit and relax (and enjoy a cookie or two!).

Thanks for the replies!!

I think I'll arrive at 11AM based on how many people say they arrive at 11. Besides.. you had me at cookies!

Cafe Promenade has cookies, pastries, sandwiches and pizza available 24 hours a day on the Deck 5 Promenade (next to the Seattle's Best coffee shop/Ben & Jerry's).

Greg

On the 5/26 sailing, pizza was done at 3AM... The sandwiches were still available.

Bermmuda we'll be taking the Bus to Horseshoe Bay

I have been to Coki Beach (where Coral World is) before, but this was years ago. I haven't heard anything about the Sea Lion Swim before, so check out the Ports of Call Board. Maybe someone there has done it.

Just as an FYI, in case you hear other people mention it, there were some issues with the area around Coki Beach within the past few years. I personally wouldn't let that affect my plans, but I did want to mention it, should you hear comments about the area from other people.

I have never taken a tour/excursion in St. Martin, as I am a beach person, so again, check out the ports of call boards to see if anyone has any feedback on anything you have booked.

I took the bus last week to Horseshoe. Very easy, very affordable. We had a rainy day while we were there, which was disappointing, but the beach would have been perfect if it had been warm/sunny.

If your time in port is like ours for San Juan, you will be very limited. Most things didn't open until 9 am, and we had to be back on board at 12:30. We ended up going to El Morro ($3 per person entry fee) and walked around there before heading back to the ship. There isn't much right in San Juan so it worked for us.

I wrote a review of the May 26-June 4 cruise if you want to take a look at it for more information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1425551

Really? i thought Jeans and Shorts were NOT allowed??

There are only "suggestions" on what to wear to dinner each night. I have never seen anyone turned away.

I saw a fair number of people wearing shorts or jeans on formal night, as well as the other nights.

People play the 'its my vacation, I paid for it, so I can wear what I'm comfortable in' card a lot, and I'm sure the staff doesn't want to turn people away and be afraid they may not get their tips at the end of the week.

Such is life.

Since I have no experience with the EOS, I have to ask for help deciding between these 2 cabins: 1530 or 8236. 8236 looks like it's a connecting cabin. Is there any downfalls to being in a connecting cabin when u don't need it? Deck 8 looks like it would be more convenient to steps/elevators. Both are forward cabins. There are also aft available, but elevators do not look close at all. Thanks!

Cafe Promenade has cookies, pastries, sandwiches and pizza available 24 hours a day on the Deck 5 Promenade (next to the Seattle's Best coffee shop/Ben & Jerry's).

Greg

On the Voyager,Ben & Jerry's was for a fee, but coffee was free. Is it still free? Thank you:)

I'm seeing an E1 7690 which is available - this is an aft balcony. It's less expensive, slightly smaller cabin, but a huge balcony.

Thanks! I think I see that an aft is open on deck 8. We're booked in an E1 on 8 now, but it's mid-ship. Then I seen that for $20. for the entire cruise we could go to an D1. I'm trying to decide what's the better location or cabin. We used to get afts, but we haven't been lucky enough, or they were too expensive, to get one.

Are the Aft balconies the same size on 7 and 8?

Thanks! I think I see that an aft is open on deck 8. We're booked in an E1 on 8 now, but it's mid-ship. Then I seen that for $20. for the entire cruise we could go to an D1. I'm trying to decide what's the better location or cabin. We used to get afts, but we haven't been lucky enough, or they were too expensive, to get one.

Are the Aft balconies the same size on 7 and 8?

Not sure about the size but you have two other things to consider, privacy and sun. Deck 7 aft cabins are all covered, hence not much sun (obviously). Deck 8 balconies can be looked into from deck 9 balconies, they are stairstepped. I prefer deck 7.

Tim

I'm not sure - you'll have to check the pictures. It's my impression that deck 7 has the largest aft balconies and they get smaller as you go up. It's all a tradeoff - I'd take an E1 aft over a D balcony elsewhere anytime, but that's my preference. To me the difference in cabin size is negligible, but the balcony size difference is huge. Yes, there's more walking, but there are many places you could be on the ship (i.e. all the way forward) that are even more walking to the places you normally want to get to.

Don't forget that when finaly payment approaches there's a chance that other cabins will open up. The 2 times I had 7388 and 7688, they opened up just before final payment.

Thanks for quick reply. I will be calling today. Enjoy your cruise in Sept.:)

A review of your parking/cruise experience would be appreciated - hope you get a chance to share your opinions, after you return home from your cruise.

Bon Voyage!

Just off the 9 night and will scan and save the daily compasses in a bit. We often had more than enough washcloths in the room. DJ Scratch Academy was promoted several times. Great crew, great cruise.

I am doing the 9 nighter on 7/7 . . looking forward to seeing the Compasses THANKS in advance.