Laundry Concerns

CruisinTeach99

My last experience with X laundry was not that good. I did mark to wash ALL in cold water.

My PJ and my husband shirt came back with huge light brown ( tea color) stains. I didn't notice till last day when it was time to pack. I called the service desk, they apologized and offer to wash it again. I've tried to rewash at home - no luck- had to throw them out. Good thing they were not expensive items.

I don't think I will gamble with very good, expensive clothes.

While on Eclipse in April, we sent clothes to the laundry as well s items to be pressed, and we were not impressed. Clothes over-dried and somewhat folded, then shoved back into the laundry bag unpressed. Linen shirt for pressing had to be sent back TWICE to get a somewhat proper job done.

Their laundry service didn't come close to that of HAL, which actually presses the laundry, carefully folds it and places it in wicker baskets for return unwrinkled. Celebrity doesn't hold a candle to HAL's laundry

I guess we all have different experiences. I have had clothes pressed

and they come back hanging up and/or folded properly. No overdried

items and nothing was shoved into the bag but all folded neatly.

Between our 10 day cruise plus some days before in Rome, we will definitely need to do laundry. I just searched old threads and was disappointed to see that the laundry service on the Equinox washes clothes on hot and dries them on high. I'm thinking this is fine for pj's, gym clothes and undies. But for my nicer shirts, I'll have to handwash in the sink.

Has anyone hand washed in the sink and then clothes pinned their items to chairs on the balcony? Will they blow away? (We are in AQ on the hump.) Will they be yucky from the salty sea air?

Is there really no clothes line in the bathroom? That is so frustrating!

Other ideas on how to handle this are welcome. I just wish Equinox had a laundry room where I could do our wash myself!

None of the Celebrity ships have a laundry room. I have purchased small packets of Tide detergent. You can get a two pack for a $1 at the dollar store. I hand wash in the sink. I always bring clothes pins and pin the clothes to the back of a chair on the balcony. I have never had the clothes blow away. When sailing in the Caribbean my husband hangs his wet suit and his stuff from scuba diving and we have never had a problem. We just sailed on Holland America. They have laundry rooms. Sometimes on Celebrity cruises they will have a laundry special - $20 to clean a bag full of dirty laundry. It's a good deal. They always do a nice job. I believe when you move up in Captains Club to the top level you get free laundry service.

We usually have a bag or two of laundry done on each cruise. I learned the hard way not to include items that may shrink. They have one a great job and the items are clean and other than shrinking a few tshirts, no damage.

They place a small sticker on each of your items with your room number to help cut down on lost laundry.

Between our 10 day cruise plus some days before in Rome, we will definitely need to do laundry. I just searched old threads and was disappointed to see that the laundry service on the Equinox washes clothes on hot and dries them on high. I'm thinking this is fine for pj's, gym clothes and undies. But for my nicer shirts, I'll have to handwash in the sink.

Has anyone hand washed in the sink and then clothes pinned their items to chairs on the balcony? Will they blow away? (We are in AQ on the hump.) Will they be yucky from the salty sea air?

Is there really no clothes line in the bathroom? That is so frustrating!

Other ideas on how to handle this are welcome. I just wish Equinox had a laundry room where I could do our wash myself!

We have used the laundry service on the Equinox and were very happy with the results. I have no idea where the person got the information that the Eqinox's laundry washes in hot water and dries on high. If they do, it could be to prevent the spread of germs etc. I would not suggest that you wash your clothes in the sink and hang them on the balcony to dry. That is really tacky. Keep in mind you are on a beautiful ship and not in a tenament

Having laundry done while on the ship has never been a problem. Tip- by the time you get mid-cruise the cruise line will begin to give discounts on laundry and dry cleaning. Also there is always a special, where you can fill a bag and have all of the contents cleaned for about $15.00.

If all else fails, I always pack a circular clothes pin. It is usually while plastic and folds down. When you open it ther eare about 12 clothes pins on a circular hanger that can be hung up inside the cabin. It is good for hanging hand washables or items that get stained and it does not take up a lot of space in your luggage. I usually get it in the dollar store

We have used the laundry service on the Equinox and were very happy with the results. I have no idea where the person got the information that the Eqinox's laundry washes in hot water and dries on high. If they do, it could be to prevent the spread of germs etc. I would not suggest that you wash your clothes in the sink and hang them on the balcony to dry. That is really tacky. Keep in mind you are on a beautiful ship and not in a tenament

Darn!! I really wanted to take my honeymoon at a tenement! Oh well... :p

I ended up ordering a bunch of handwash detergent packets and a set of inflatable hangers off Amazon. The plan is to send some things to the laundry or dry cleaning service. Anything that is extra delicate or special that I don't feel comfortable sending out, i will hand wash and hang dry on the inflatable hangers (in the cabin.) Thanks all for your suggestions! It is most appreciated.

Archived