Glacier Bay vs Hubbard Glacier

GORDONCHICK

I've always read "you've gotta go to Glacier Bay" the whole time I've been on CC. Our 1st cruise to Alaska went to Hubbard and we thought it completely amazing and jaw dropping. So when we booked 2011, I told DH that we had to go to Glacier Bay - so we did. Gotta tell ya - not as impressive as Hubbard! We were in Glacier Bay last week, and while it was impressive, it wasn't jaw dropping. Now, we were at Hubbard in mid-September and were probably able to get much closer than many of the cruises did much earlier in the season. Still, we all agreed that we thought Hubbard was the way to go.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents out there for others. Discuss amongst yourselves...

I've always read "you've gotta go to Glacier Bay" the whole time I've been on CC. Our 1st cruise to Alaska went to Hubbard and we thought it completely amazing and jaw dropping. So when we booked 2011, I told DH that we had to go to Glacier Bay - so we did. Gotta tell ya - not as impressive as Hubbard! We were in Glacier Bay last week, and while it was impressive, it wasn't jaw dropping. Now, we were at Hubbard in mid-September and were probably able to get much closer than many of the cruises did much earlier in the season. Still, we all agreed that we thought Hubbard was the way to go.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents out there for others. Discuss amongst yourselves...

I will see Hubbard hopefully in August and then I too will be able to compare. It seems to me from my research that about half prefer Glacier Bay and the other half prefer Hubbard. All I know is we were in total awe in Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is more of an awesome cruising day than an awesome glacier experience. It was just such a beautiful area in the middle of Alaska's wilderness. No matter where you looked Mother Nature had something majestic for you to view. It truly was our absolute favorite day in Alaska. We did the 7 day cruise and followed that up with 9 days on land.

I am expecting to find Hubbard to be the absolute best glacier experience. Whether I feel it was also a better total viewing/cruising experience remains to be seen.

We booked our cruise in August for two reasons: Bears/Salmon and Hubbard. A few weeks ago I was regretting booking in August when I saw how much less I could have paid for the cruise by going in May. However, as the reports keep coming back from Hubbard that people did not get up close and personal, I am now feeling much better about booking in August. Of course, it still remains to be seen, how far we will be able to get in. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I can't really compare but I want to mention that we saw lots of sealife when entering glacier bay, we saw whales, seals, sea otters, dolphins. We missed hubbard because there was too much ice and fog :( Just wanted to mentioned about the sea life because once we left glacier bay, didn't really see much sealife. I'll have to go again to see hubbard glacier in near future :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd been so looking forward to Hubbard - but it was cold, rainy and we didn't get very close, saw no calving. It was still a great experience, but was very glad we had Glacier Bay lined up the next day -- which turned out to be a beautiful, warm, sunny day. We saw grizzlies (far away) and did get to see some calving at Marjorie Glacier. So, here I was expecting Hubbard to be the highlight, but it turned out to be Glacier Bay. We were just fortunate to have the two chances to see glaciers and have one of them work out well. Maybe next time (I hope) it will turn out to be Hubbard which is the best. have fun!

We have experienced both Glacier Bay & Hubbard. Hubbard is one of the few tidewater glaciers that is advancing. All of the glaciers in Glacier Bay are retreating. There is a thread currently on CC that talks about beginning in 2012 the number of cruise ships allowed to visit Hubbard Glacier will be reduced because it is thought that cruise ships cause higher mortality among seal pups. Our opinion is that both Hubbard and Glacier Bay each have their unique qualities that make them each a 'must see' ;).

I will see Hubbard hopefully in August and then I too will be able to compare. It seems to me from my research that about half prefer Glacier Bay and the other half prefer Hubbard...as the reports keep coming back from Hubbard that people did not get up close and personal

So true. Two boats I am aware of in May - the Infinity and a smaller boat from Yakutat - only got within about 2 miles of Hubbard. That would make a huge difference in one's experience.

And there is a reason Glacier Bay is a national park. :)

I still prefer Glacier Bay for the entire experience including all of the marine life in the Strait when you approach the entrance. On the last trip we had a mother humpback and baby swimming just off the starboard side of the ship. Unbelieveable site!

Next year we get to see them both on the same southbound sailing so I'm really looking forward to that :D

The way I always phrase it is that "Hubbard is the more impressive glacier, Glacier Bay is the more impressive overall day"

The way to do it is sail on the SB Princess route that visits both :)

We have experienced both Glacier Bay & Hubbard. Hubbard is one of the few tidewater glaciers that is advancing. All of the glaciers in Glacier Bay are retreating.

Per the park ranger onboard the Pearl two weeks ago during our cruise in Glacier Bay - John Hopkins Glacier (tidewater glacier in the park) also falls into the category of advancing vs. receding.

Per the park ranger onboard the Pearl two weeks ago during our cruise in Glacier Bay - John Hopkins Glacier (tidewater glacier in the park) also falls into the category of advancing vs. receding.

I should do more research before posting. The ranger is absolutely correct. From what I've read, it has been advancing since 1929! Thanks for setting the record straight.

Archived