2 young adults cruising together - reassurance?

KC2510

Me and my boyfriend are both young adults (18: we're from the UK and going with a British cruise line, so will be fine to drink and use all the facilities) going on the P&O X115 cruise at the beginning of September. We'll likely be dining with other passengers, and I'm a little worried about this, though more for the other passengers than for us! I know a lot of people would prefer to be with 'proper adults', and that some people would not be happy about dining with us, as we're essentially both teenagers. We're very mature and friendly, and it's not my first cruise (it will be his) so I know what I'm doing/what to expect, but I'm just worried that other people won't be happy about being seated with us. Am I right to be a bit nervous, or is this just silly? How would you feel about being seated with two 18 year olds in the dining room, would you be a bit put out and feel awkward, as though you were sitting with children? Or would you be happy to get along with them and talk to them like adults?

Kate

A lot of cruise lines seat passengers by age at dinner. You can check with the Maitre'd when you get on board. ask at the purser's desk where and when he'll be. The ask him about the agge of others at your table. He will have that info infront of him.

twice we have eaten with young people, very early 20's and we all had a ball. My husband and I are 67 and hate dining with 'old' people!

A lot of cruise lines seat passengers by age at dinner.

iv found that Carnival seems to sort thru the bookings and try and seat people of similar ages together, couples usually with couples.

The only exception was when I was sailing with a lady named Pat (Im also female) they assumed we were a couple because of her first name. Usually when Im sailing with other women, Im seated with other women etc.

I would have no problem dining with 18 year olds as long as they behave in a decent manner. Heck, I've dined with 50 year olds who behaved poorly at dinner. If you're stuck with snobs, go to the maitre'd and ask for a table change.

You're lucky that P&O allows people your age to cruise alone. You do not find that on US based cruise lines, as they have a minimum age of 21.

A lot of cruise lines seat passengers by age at dinner. You can check with the Maitre'd when you get on board. ask at the purser's desk where and when he'll be. The ask him about the agge of others at your table. He will have that info infront of him.

twice we have eaten with young people, very early 20's and we all had a ball. My husband and I are 67 and hate dining with 'old' people!

On our last cruise DW was only in her 60s, and we agree.

Old and young are mostly states of mind.

Me and my boyfriend are both young adults (18: we're from the UK and going with a British cruise line, so will be fine to drink and use all the facilities) going on the P&O X115 cruise at the beginning of September. We'll likely be dining with other passengers, and I'm a little worried about this, though more for the other passengers than for us! I know a lot of people would prefer to be with 'proper adults', and that some people would not be happy about dining with us, as we're essentially both teenagers. We're very mature and friendly, and it's not my first cruise (it will be his) so I know what I'm doing/what to expect, but I'm just worried that other people won't be happy about being seated with us. Am I right to be a bit nervous, or is this just silly? How would you feel about being seated with two 18 year olds in the dining room, would you be a bit put out and feel awkward, as though you were sitting with children? Or would you be happy to get along with them and talk to them like adults?

Kate

If you want reassurance. If we were on the same cruise, we would welcome opportunity to share the table with you. You seem like an intelligent young person. Someone we would enjoy talking with. (As long it is not about religion, politics, or sex) (But if it didn't work for either of us, there is always the ability to change)

Thanks very much everyone, that's put my mind at ease. I have no idea if they put the ages into account when seating passengers, but I think I'm going to contact them and find out. Bonnie, I'm glad to hear you were happy seating with young people, I hope we're put with someone like you!

You're lucky that P&O allows people your age to cruise alone. You do not find that on US based cruise lines, as they have a minimum age of 21.

Oh I know, I looked into a lot of cruise lines when I was booking, and P&O was one of the few. I think this is because many cruise lines are American, and therefore go by laws regarding drinking, gambling etc. being 21 and therefore that's what they have the age limit as. However as they're both 18 in the UK, and P&O is a UK company, we struck lucky!

Like I said, thanks everyone, you were all really helpful

I went on my first cruise at 19 with a friend who I believe was 22 at the time(in the US but many years ago). We asked in advance to be seated with younger non couples. I have been on many cruises since and have dined with a variety of people and rarely was age a factor in how much we enjoyed the company of our dinner companions. The most memorable and enjoyable dinners were spent with 2 sisters who were at least 40 years older than my husband and I.:)

I think the cruiselines do a great job of matching up people. Regardless of age, just remember that most of the time 96% of cruisers are just like you out to enjoy a vacation and cruise.........the other 4% you wouldn't want to eat with anyway.......again regardless of age.

Don't worry about it and enjoy your cruise.

I think just the fact that you considered how your other cruisers might feel about you shows maturity and sensitivity to others beyond your years. You are very fortunate to be able to take a cruise at such a young age. If you show your fellow passengers that you are interested in them and their experiences as you have already deomostrated here, it would be there loss if they did not welcome the opportunity to get to know you. Please have a wonderful time on your cruise! :):)

The fact that you have enough sense to be concerned about somebody else's wellbeing means that you will be just fine & lovely dining companions. Simply smile & ask Qs. If you get another person talking about themselves, they will think you are a delightful conversationalist.

Great topics include . . . have you cruised before? what ships? What excursions did you do today? What are you planning for tomorrow? Have you been to [fill in name of place onboard].

To me ships are similar to UK pubs , , , well at least as similiar as this provincial American has experienced :o . . . in that people are willing to say hello & have a chat about life, current events, the wether, nothing (ala Seinfeld) etc. Age didn't really seem to make a difference. Last year DH & I cruised with an unusually large # of college students; they were lively, entertaining, interesting & polite. Don't worry.

Enjoy!

Archived