Navigator - Live, June 8:SDYC Addict On First Regent Voyage

I give up -- I keep remembering things I meant to post in my final posting - but seeing Elmwood's on board postings had me going back to my notes.

What is it with an all -inclusive fare that upcharges for certain "on board" events. I'm not talking about ordering caviar for your rooms (as when SD starting charging for that when it was previously free, that triggered a post of on line complaints on the SD board, but I understood since the caviar market went sky high). But upcharging for events in the Galileo lounge such as the wine tasting or an afternoon tea offering caviar. The tea was "included" but the caviar was an upcharge. There was an upcharged event almost every single day. Has that always been the way on Regent? I found it disturbing, but perhaps that just our lack of knowledge of Regent practices.

FT

Daily upcharged events is definitely not typical. There have been a couple of evenings where caviar was available for a charge. In the past year I've heard of some ultra premium wine tastigs with a charge. However, we have attended multiple included wine tastings with the owner of the winery onboard and there has never been a charge. I, too, find it disturbing. Fees continue to pop up without explanation It makes you wonder what is next?

I think part of the issue is that we're talking about a 7 day cruise and Regent tries to pack in as much as they can in that short time: the caviar, wine tastings, martinis. On a longer cruise, these "events" don't happen every day - they are spread out over 10-15-20 days.

And all of these events do happen on the longer trips - with the up charge.

On the other side, on a longer cruise, teas are not always themed the way they are virtually daily on the Alaska trip.

I give up -- I keep remembering things I meant to post in my final posting - but seeing Elmwood's on board postings had me going back to my notes.

What is it with an all -inclusive fare that upcharges for certain "on board" events. I'm not talking about ordering caviar for your rooms (as when SD starting charging for that when it was previously free, that triggered a post of on line complaints on the SD board, but I understood since the caviar market went sky high). But upcharging for events in the Galileo lounge such as the wine tasting or an afternoon tea offering caviar. The tea was "included" but the caviar was an upcharge. There was an upcharged event almost every single day. Has that always been the way on Regent? I found it disturbing, but perhaps that just our lack of knowledge of Regent practices.

FT

FT,

It would be helpful if you could detail the up charge events on your cruise that you said occurred almost daily. I know about the wine tasting and the caviar event but what other events have an up charge? Please help.

Dave

I have no problem with this sort of upcharging. It is no different than charging for certain very expensive tours (involving, for instance, plane rides) or premium wines and liquors. In fact, I think it is better for Regent to offer these expensive options to people who want them rather than not offering them at all (because of the expense involved). I'm among those who would decline the opportunity. I hate caviar. But these are above and beyond "normal" events and "special" to some passengers.

DaveFr

I will have to drag out the daily "Passages" I remember the caviar one in particular because I love caviar and didn't think much of the type they served at the one breakfast.

I seem to remember a couple maybe being offered by the spa but I don't want to expressly state until I check

FT

In fact, I think it is better for Regent to offer these expensive options to people who want them rather than not offering them at all (because of the expense involved).

I agree totally with Island Cruiser's very sensible approach and I haven't noticed many chargeable events. Premium wine tasting and caviare perhaps but I, too, can do without those.

• 2 weeks later...
FT,

It would be helpful if you could detail the up charge events on your cruise that you said occurred almost daily. I know about the wine tasting and the caviar event but what other events have an up charge? Please help.

Dave

DaveFr

I will have to drag out the daily "Passages" I remember the caviar one in particular because I love caviar and didn't think much of the type they served at the one breakfast.

I seem to remember a couple maybe being offered by the spa but I don't want to expressly state until I check

FT

FT,

Have you found the daily "Passages" from your cruise?

Dave

Archived