Navigator - Live, June 8:SDYC Addict On First Regent Voyage

What size hand luggage will fit on the train from Seward to Anchorage? Is a small backpack doable? I don't really want to check it - but the disclaimer is a bit scary and I've gotten a bit of conflicting information from cruise staff.

/quote]

Yes FT, a backpack is doable. Last year I brought my C Pap in its' case as well as a backpack holding my laptop and camera. Bigger than a day pack and they both fit under the table or under the seats. Just don't forget them or you will probably never see them again.

You will be sitting 4 people to a table kind of like a booth with room under the table between you and under the seats.

Have a safe trip home.

BR,

Dave

Well, we will be sailing on the last Navigator Alaskan cruise of the season August 31, so it will be interesting to see if timing does make a difference (although for sure it should NOT).

I do agree with FT that for the price paid for this trip, service should be impeccable all the time. I'm not talking about an ocassional slip-up, which is highly forgiveable. Rather, several independent reports indicated an over-all theme of less than luxurious service.

I've sailed Crystal and SeaDream, both luxury, and have never heard a response from a crew member other than "my pleasure" when I've made a request. My favorite Crystal version of this was when I asked of a pool steward if it was "possible to get a virgin pina colada blended with ice cream." His answer was darling: "Miss T, this is Crystal. Anything is possible. If you told me to get you the drink and then jump in the pool. I would do so." He grinned and went all the way to the other end of the deck and returned with my requested drink and it was perfect.

While it was just a little thing, it still spoke to a culture of excellence. Plain and simple.

I could tell similar stories about SeaDream. I hope to be able to talk the same about Regent. I'm not that loyal to any particular line, but who knows, maybe Regent will convert me into a die-hard come the end of August. I don't go on a trip looking for problems and disappointments. I go looking for and expecting joy, and for the most part I get it. My expectations are typically set according to what I paid.

Regardless, I believe FT and zqvol had a great time overall. . .I certainly did not get from their reporting (or the other independent reports from the previous week or so) that this was a disaster. . .far from it. I just think they compared and contrasted their past luxury experiences. That's natural. . .I'm sure I'll do the same.

Again, thanks for your balanced reporting kids. Have fun post-cruise and a safe journey home.

Responder: You would have to be on an Alaska cruise to understand. It is mostly newbies. Most newbies like Regent, but, the summer Alaska cruises can be challenging for many. The ship is filled to capacity (beyond 490) -- there are extra beds in the suites for the kids. . . . the staff can become quite stressed. We have done two cruises in Alaska -- one on the Mariner -- one on the Navigator -- both in May. We would not take a "free" cruise in June/.July and the beginning of August on the Navigator. IMHO, Regent is not equipped to handle it.

However, it bears repeating. . . . passengers trying a luxury cruise for the first time will probably love it. "frequent traveler" has a history of sailing a VERY small luxury cruise line with personalized service. I feel that she has done amazingly well given the circumstances.

We have also sailed on the Navigator (twice) in the Caribbean. There is no comparison between the experience there and in Alaska.

We were on the May 13-25 sailing to Alaska and there were not any children on board.

We were on a 10 day sailing on the Silver Shadow back in 2009 to Alaska. The service was good on the Navigator but much better on the Silver Shadow.

The Navigator and the Silver Shadow are about the same size but the Shadow carries 382 vs.490 people on the Navigator. I felt that the Navigator was a lot more crowded, not enough public places to sit compared to the Shadow.

Why should it make any difference if the passengers are new or repeaters? We were a party of six (three penthouse suites) and did not mingle with other passengers. I have no idea if the passengers were new or repeaters to Regent on our cruise. Are you saying that if you are new to Regent then you must not know what luxury cruising is all about or that your expectations are different?

This was my first time on Regent...I am not new to luxury cruising. If you are going to compare service: Regent is good....Silversea is better.....Seabourn is excellent....just my opinion.

thanks for the input on luggage - we will be going on to Denali and McKinley, so our journey is not done - will continue the posting. Yes, we are having a good time, enjoying Alaska, but do believe we have overpaid for this not top of the line experience. We have a number of first time ever cruisers on board - so their expectations are different from mine. But I compare what we pay for a week on SD and the service we get -without a butler, and what we pay for a week on Regent, and I don't think the price differential is justified, even with a balcony.

Again, just JMHO

FT

We were on the May 13-25 sailing to Alaska and there were not any children on board.

We were on a 10 day sailing on the Silver Shadow back in 2009 to Alaska. The service was good on the Navigator but much better on the Silver Shadow.

The Navigator and the Silver Shadow are about the same size but the Shadow carries 382 vs.490 people on the Navigator. I felt that the Navigator was a lot more crowded, not enough public places to sit compared to the Shadow.

Why should it make any difference if the passengers are new or repeaters? We were a party of six (three penthouse suites) and did not mingle with other passengers. I have no idea if the passengers were new or repeaters to Regent on our cruise. Are you saying that if you are new to Regent then you must not know what luxury cruising is all about or that your expectations are different?

This was my first time on Regent...I am not new to luxury cruising. If you are going to compare service: Regent is good....Silversea is better.....Seabourn is excellent....just my opinion.

Difficult questions to answer. I, too, would pick the Silver Shadow over the Navigator. . . . but I digress. There are definitely not enough public places to sit on the Navigator.

You are not new to luxury cruising. You were able to compare the Navigator to the Shadow (just as I compared Regent ships to the Whisper and Spirit). I do feel that people who have sailed on luxury cruise lines have different expectations than someone who is sailing a luxury line for the first time.

Our first luxury cruise was quite magical. The service was over the top, the food incredible, the balcony suite amazing. Nothing can compare to our first luxury experience.

Many Navigator Alaska cruisers come from Holland America, Princess and Celebrity. They are going from ships that are many times larger in an ala carte environment to a small, intimate, all-inclusive luxury cruise ship. If these new cruisers have done their homework (i.e. understand that Regent does not have water slides, climbing walls and lavish shows), most will enjoy the Regent Experience.

So, this was a long way of saying that I feel expectations are different, depending upon your cruising background.:)

Many Navigator Alaska cruisers come from Holland America, Princess and Celebrity. They are going from ships that are many times larger in an ala carte environment to a small, intimate, all-inclusive luxury cruise ship. If these new cruisers have done their homework (i.e. understand that Regent does not have water slides, climbing walls and lavish shows), most will enjoy the Regent Experience.
And if you had done your homework, you'd know that HAL, Princess and Celebrity do not have water slides or climbing walls. Even lavish shows are questionable! Those of us who are new to Regent may come with a different set of experiences than you imagine. In our case, we have cruised and traveled extensively (over 100 countries and all 7 continents) and, believe it or not, can discern the difference between a mass market, premium and luxury product. It's rather presumptuous of you to assume otherwise. We have high expectations for Regent, but are savvy enough to know that things will not be 100% all the time.

And if you had done your homework, you'd know that HAL, Princess and Celebrity do not have water slides or climbing walls. Even lavish shows are questionable! Those of us who are new to Regent may come with a different set of experiences than you imagine. In our case, we have cruised and traveled extensively (over 100 countries and all 7 continents) and, believe it or not, can discern the difference between a mass market, premium and luxury product. It's rather presumptuous of you to assume otherwise. We have high expectations for Regent, but are savvy enough to know that things will not be 100% all the time.

Wow -- quite an angry response.:confused: You're right that I haven't been on a mass market cruise line. My opinion is based on the high level of satisfaction reported by passengers who have not previously cruised on a luxury line that have reported their experiences on CruiseCritic. The level of satisfaction decreases a bit for experienced luxury cruisers. It sounds as if are making presumptions as well. . .. actually taking a luxury cruise is not the same as reading about it. IMO, the places you have visited in the world doesn't really have much to do with being on a luxury cruise ship.

but are savvy enough to know that things will not be 100% all the time.

Mighty Quinn, somewhow lately it is an uphill battle to say just what you just said, even to a new cruiser. I certainly hope you will enjoy your cruise on Regent.

My wandering last post shipboard.

All packed and ready to take the train from Seward to Anchorage. Had a lazy afternoon – as lazy as it can be trying to pack.

I skipped afternoon tea but it was chocolate theme. ZQ Vol enjoyed port and bananas foster.

Dinner tonight was probably the best I’ve had on board – Compass Rose again, this time I started out with seared foie gras. We’ve had some great red wines from Chile and France (yes, I have branched out from champagne as the house pour is not my favorite and shudder, last night – prosecco was presented as champagne). Last night when I mentioned to the ass’t sommelier that I really didn’t care for the red and would order a cocktail instead, he just brought me my Cosmo (which by the way was perfect – very easy on the Cranberry). Tonight, it was another California red but when the head sommelier (Daniela from Romania as another poster above noted)stopped by and checked on why our glasses were still empty after we had been sitting there for 15 minutes (she noticed), and I mentioned I didn’t care for the red – she said well I can bring you a French or Italian instead. So I was very happy with my alternate wine.

This brings me to my next point – don’t hesitate to ask for something. Some of the staff are much better than others at offering a solution – others aren’t (such as my waiter this morning – by the way, Galileo’s was supposed to be a full service bar at 10 am according to the daily publication– so for a waiter to send me down to the pool bar is just not acceptable). The head sommelier here is wonderful. She is non stop energy – unfortunately, not all her staff is as consistent – but that’s why she is the boss and she moves immediately to address service issues.

Back to dinner - saw a double rainbow through the windows. Very pretty – followed that rack of lamb, herb encrusted and potato gratinee (I stole ZQ Vol’s) and then I finished with chocolate torte. Yummy, the Canyon Ranch dessert was mocha mousse with expresso and bailey’s sauce. Limited myself to one bite of that one.

You may not get the answer you like when you do ask, but I’ve heard multiple stories of people being able to get last minute additional tours /excursions – it seems all the excursion staff have worked extra hard to help people out. Myself, I created a ticket problem by handing the wrong ticket on a morning excursion and not having one for the afternoon. That was easily fixed. A lost ticket was easily replaced. For those of you worried about children – the Navigator seems to keep them busy, we haven’t had a problem, but we also don’t do the children themed tours. I had to laugh today at someone complaining that the advanced bike tour yesterday was too advanced. Get real – the description is for “advanced physically fit bikers capable of riding between 16 and 23 miles with an elevation gain of over 1,000 feet” the Bikes are 21-speed TREK mountain bikes. If you haven’t rode a bike in 6 months - don’t let your spouse bully you into going.

Not supposed to get dark until midnight and then light at 4 or so. At Denali I think we will have constant light. We have to be off the ship at 7:15 and the train departs at 7:50. We go to the airport and then transfer to the Hilton, we then have to take a taxi to the Sheraton where thanks to Starwood points we are spending the night. Having dinner at the Crows Nest tomorrow night and taking the train to Denali tomorrow – switching to a Princess package (significantly less costly than Regent’s and more flexibility)

Do not turn your cell phone on when you are out of range of land towers – the ship has a package – the VZW Cruise Ship Service Calls are $2.49 per min. Text Msg are $.50 to send $.05 to receive. E mail is pay per use only $0.02 KB. I turned my on this afternoon when the internet kept kicking me off and just about died.

Bags are out the door , guess we will be too and on to the next stage in a few hours

FT

Well said, MightyQuinn....

As you will have read from subsequent posts, there are those few who expect the earth to stop rotating if they are not pleased every living moment.

We too, are seasoned cruisers and are fully aware of your thought that things will not be 100% all the time. Isn't that pretty much a slice of life? I suppose if one walks around with a chip on their shoulder waiting for it to be knocked off, it will be.

Wow -- quite an angry response.:confused: You're right that I haven't been on a mass market cruise line. My opinion is based on the high level of satisfaction reported by passengers who have not previously cruised on a luxury line that have reported their experiences on CruiseCritic. The level of satisfaction decreases a bit for experienced luxury cruisers. It sounds as if are making presumptions as well. . .. actually taking a luxury cruise is not the same as reading about it. IMO, the places you have visited in the world doesn't really have much to do with being on a luxury cruise ship.

Talk about being presumptuous...wow!

How is it that you feel so qualified to be the arbiter of other peoples likes and dislikes about luxury cruising?

It sounds as if are making presumptions as well. . .. actually taking a luxury cruise is not the same as reading about it. IMO, the places you have visited in the world doesn't really have much to do with being on a luxury cruise ship.

Simply having taken a luxury cruise or two does not guarantee that one has good taste

[quote name=mimito4;29450405

I do agree with FT that for the price paid for this trip' date=' service should be impeccable all the time. I'm not talking about an ocassional slip-up, which is highly forgiveable. Rather, several independent reports indicated an over-all theme of less than luxurious service.

You have hit the nail on the head! I'm going to stay out of the ruckus, except to say that I do agree with MightyQuinn that I don't expect everything to be perfect all the time--I am, in fact, very forgiving. But I strongly agree with the above statement.

If Regent does not deliver impeccable, luxurious service to me next May on Navigator to Alaska, I've had it with Regent. It will be my 11th Regent cruise.

Simply having taken a luxury cruise or two does not guarantee that one has good taste

Apparently, one does not have to have manners in order to post on these boards either.

Wendy, Responder, etc. This thread has taken a turn that it didn't need to take (IMO). I don't feel the need to list the countries and continents we have visited in our 20 years of international travel prior to entering the world of luxury cruising (12 cruises). But, this is not what my earlier post was about.

The OP has repeatedly sailed on SeaDream and really enjoys it. It does not sound as if she went on the Navigator with a poor attitude. She gave it every chance and determined that it was not for her. Another poster preferred Silversea to Regent. I was then specifically asked my opinion of expectations.

Having been a member of CruiseCritic for several years (and a lurker even longer), I've read many thousands of posts. If I had to estimate, I would say that at leat 85% of cruisers new to the luxury arena are impressed with Regent and want to return.

People who have sailed on Silversea, Seabourn, SeaDream or Crystal judge Regent a bit harsher based on their experiences on other luxury ships. Isn't that natural? It wasn't until I was physically on the Silver Whisper that I realized that a ship the size of the Navigator can have large, lovely public spaces (but, fewer cabins).

I predict that Wendy will thoroughly enjoy her Alaska cruise. As another Regent loyalist, we enjoyed both Alaska cruises (but, I preferred Mariner). Based on posts on CC, I would not sail Alaska during the summer for reasons already expressed. If my children were younger, my opinion would be different.

Posts stating that nothing is 100% perfect makes me laugh. That is a statement I use frequently. Not only are cruises not perfect, neither are CC posters. Rallydave frequently catches me in mistakes (and calls them out in a nice way -- allowing me to correct them).

Can we now lighten up a bit?

Wow -- quite an angry response.
Angry? Not at all and I'm sorry you see it that way.

My point is simple. People arrive at the Regent gangway for the 1st time from many different paths and with varied experiences. Some have a luxury cruise background, others have experiences with mass market cruising, some have never cruised before but have extensive land-based travel experience, while others are true travel newbies. There’s no doubt that their expectations of Regent will be different, based on those experiences. So far, I think we agree. ;);)

But is either set of experiences better than the next? I don't think so. But, it seems to me, that you believe that only past luxury cruisers are able to discern good service, while those coming from the mass market will be impressed with whatever Regent delivers. That seems rather dismissive to me. And on that, we disagree.

My point is simple. But is either set of experiences better than the next? I don't think so. But, it seems to me, that you believe that only past luxury cruisers are able to discern good service, while those coming from the mass market will be impressed with whatever Regent delivers. That seems rather dismissive to me. And on that, we disagree.

Now I understand your point a bit better. Of course I do not believe that only past luxury cruisers are able to discern good service. Good service is good service -- no matter where you are.

Is one set of experiences better than the next? Possibly -- but I may be coming from a different perspective on this one. What "frequent traveler" experienced can certainly be different next week. People who go on segmented cruises see the differences all the time. When you add (or delete) staff members (as they do all the time) and different passengers board, the entire feel of the cruise can change.

The reason I feel that non-luxury cruisers are more impressed with Regent is not because mass market or premium cruisers do not know better, or less intelligent or anything like that. The simple fact that you can have a drink in the bar, dine at premium restaurants, have wine with your dinner (and you have no idea how many glasses you've had because they keep getting filled up) without signing is pretty nice for anyone who has not had this experience before. For us, there is something wonderful that Regent takes care of everything. I do not believe the following can happen on most (if any) premium or mass market cruises.

- You book your cruise (hopefully through a TA that provides more benefits)

-Regent provides airfare (even Business Class in many suites)

-They transfer you to your overnight hotel.

-The next day they transfer you to the ship.

-Everything onboard is inclusive unless you go for some over the top champagne, wine or spirit. Of course, the Spa, being a private company is not included.

-You are transferred to the airport after the cruise. The luggage handlers have already received their tips. In some cities, Regent arranges a hotel hospitality suite where you can safely leave your luggage and be on own for a few hours.

So, this is why I believe that 85% of non-luxury cruisers like Regent. Although we have stayed in some amazing hotels in the world, nothing has spoiled us more than luxury cruising.

Hope we are not disagreeing as much any more:)

My wandering last post shipboard.

(yes, I have branched out from champagne as the house pour is not my favorite and shudder, last night – prosecco was presented as champagne). Last night when I mentioned to the ass’t sommelier that I really didn’t care for the red and would order a cocktail instead, he just brought me my Cosmo (which by the way was perfect – very easy on the Cranberry). Tonight, it was another California red but when the head sommelier (Daniela from Romania as another poster above noted)stopped by and checked on why our glasses were still empty after we had been sitting there for 15 minutes (she noticed), and I mentioned I didn’t care for the red – she said well I can bring you a French or Italian instead. So I was very happy with my alternate wine.

I'm sure this has been asked before on some thread but can we request champagne instead of sparkling wine.

Thank you very much for your posts. It has been a pleasure for me to read. Sea Dream is on my list to do. Have done Regent from back when they were Radisson and Seabourn for the last two years.

Apparently, one does not have to have manners in order to post on longer boards either.

Those who have sailed with me can attest that my manners are impeccable :) but all the stereotyping on this and other threads gets tiresome. My point is that it is really not up to you to be the arbiter of good taste or judgement...you just don't need to attack others for wanting to participate or have a differing opinion than yours

I think you make a lot of valuable contributions just not this time.

Have gone past the 20 minutes to edit the post but I notice there is a typo in the message from TC2 where she discounted my manners but this is what was supposed to be posted -

Apparently, one does not have to have manners in order to post on these boards either.

Those who have sailed with me can attest that my manners are impeccable :) but all the stereotyping on this and other threads gets tiresome. My point is that it is really not up to you to be the arbiter of good taste or judgement...you just don't need to attack others for wanting to participate or have a differing opinion than yours

I think you make a lot of valuable contributions just not this time.

I'm sure this has been asked before on some thread but can we request champagne instead of sparkling wine.

Thank you very much for your posts. It has been a pleasure for me to read. Sea Dream is on my list to do. Have done Regent from back when they were Radisson and Seabourn for the last two years.

yes, you can request champagne instead of sparkling wine. I watched a number of people do that.

We are in anchorage and I am off to explore and will post update with details of train and transfer. Very smooth and highly recommend.

Glad that you enjoy our postings. When I travel somewhere or try a new vendor for the first time info from other travelers has been very helpful.

FT

Off the ship and in Anchorage.

WARNING – much of this will be old hat for Regent regulars and thus very boring, but this is written for the Regent novice as the reader.

We are so glad we took the train from Seward to Anchorage but I digress. Breakfast was served starting at six – luggage had to be outside our doors by 11 pm and we were tagged blue. We sailed in to rain and the rain continued. There is nothing at the docks in Seward – but docks and train tracks. Groups for the train assembled in the lounge beginning at 6:55. First you check in and they check you off the list. Then you wait until your color is called (they have sorted your luggage by color) Our luggage ended up at the Hilton. First off was Black - 1. Then there was red and green. I think there might have been one more color before those of us with no flight connections today. We troop out of the lounge trying to avoid the other guests who don't remember their assigned times and are showing up in the lounge before the next wave. You then go down the gangway, and through a tent – you pick up a card with your assigned seats on the train and then walk maybe a 100 steps to the train. One stop transportation. If you choose the bus alternative, the buses are also there. The bus alternative takes an hour less than the train. Train passengers with early connections leave the lounge first. We were staying overnight at a hotel so we were one of the last groups to board around 7:30. The couple across from us came from Philadelphia and were on Deck 6, far forward like us. None of us had problems with vibration issues but we did notice yesterday noise from the treadmills above us. So if you are in one of the front cabins on Deck 11 and plan to nap during the day when the gym is open – and are an extremely light sleeper take your earplugs. We were rarely in our cabin during gym hours so it wasn’t a problem. However, we did run into some couples who had some issues with the vibrations in the rear of the ship (yes, I know I should be using nautical terms but my ADD has kicked in and I don’t want to confuse them).

Anyway our traveling companions were very lovely and interesting people. And since we had a few empty booths and they chose to not move we must have been tolerable. We started out in rain but the sun was trying to peek out by the time we got to Anchorage, 4.5 hours later. Be aware while there is a Club Car serving food – in the morning it is just pastries and beverages. In your car you can order coffee, tea, soda, etc – some breakfast foods and a few sandwich and salads. Some brave soul ordered clam chowder in a bread bowl but I wasn’t that brave – eating from a soup spoon while rocking on a train . . . I wear my salad dressing as it is. But low and behold at the end of the trip, we actually had to pull out a credit card and pay for the food and drink. As alcoholic beverages were also available and two intrepid couples were doing their best to avoid withdrawal, our attendant Alex stayed very busy during our trip. No cash is accepted in the seating car - only credit cards. Cash is accepted in the lounge car. We saw a lot of birds on the trip, including bald eagles – two different glaciers and other beautiful scenery. There was rumors of a bear sighting and the rear end of a moose, but no one at our table can claim a sighting.

The train ride ends at the Airport and for those with flights after 8 pm you have use of the hospitality suite at the Hilton and transportation back to the airport if you booked your air package through Regent. If you didn’t – you pick up your bags at the Hilton and you are on your own. So we took a bus from the Airport (there were 3 buses waiting for us – marked Regent – impossible to miss) for the no more than 10 minute ride. You will not get to the Hilton before 1 pm. When we arrived – all the luggage was in a separate room and arranged by color code. It was very easy to pick up our bags and then grab a taxi to the Sheraton, just a few blocks away, but due to one way streets about a $7.00 cab ride (pre- tip). If you have to wait for a bellman due to the amount of luggage it might take you longer as it appeared there was only one bellman assigned to the Regent luggage room.

WARNING: whatever hotel you are in – do not count on checking in before 3 pm if other ships are in town. And apparently a lot of people are coming today for pre cruise excursions before sailing on Saturday and Sunday. This announcement was made at the Hilton – thus the Regent hospitality suite on the 15th floor and was the same case here at the Sheraton. While I have high level SPG status and can almost always check in no matter what time I arrive that was not possible when we arrived at the Sheraton around 1:30. Silversea uses this hotel as a base and the inference was that Silversea rooms were being cleaned first. The desk clerk said the woman ahead of me got very angry when she wasn’t able to check in. I just said we’d check with the desk from time to time but I’d go use the Internet on the lobby computers. We gave our bags to the bellman but then couldn’t log on to the Internet because of course we didn’t have a room number which was needed! I went back to the desk and ask if there was a code I could use – the desk clerk didn’t know but offered to check with someone else – I told her we’d appreciate that very much as we’d like to work until our room was available, She called the manager out of the back and then lo and behold a room was available and we were able to check in. The angry woman was sulking in the lobby. An hour later when I left the hotel to begin my walk around downtown the angry woman was still sulking in the lobby as Silversea people were checking in.

Walked around most of downtown Anchorage until the clouds opened for a downpour. Saw the monument for Alaska becoming a state, went to the store where they sell handwoven musk ox wool products – very beautiful artwork. Ladies headbands are $120 and a 2 inch wide scarf begins at $240.00. The history is amazing. Saw the log cabin at the visitors center and went past the market. Anchorage has one thing in common with my town – streets change name on a block without notice. Christenson Drive became H Street and I thought I had gotten lost – and no alcohol was involved. We haven’t stepped inside the Glacier Brewhouse – yet. I was disappointed that the Alaska Wild Berry store no longer exists, its been replaced by yet another Trader something souvenir store. The hotel has an “Alaska” TV channel – there is so much to do here in Anchorage. We should have built in extra days here too – oh why do I have to work to afford vacations. Next time, and yes there will be a next trip to Alaska, we want to fly in and out of Anchorage and do a BtB so we can do all the excursions we missed in all the ports!

Leaving for dinner soon – sky is clearing so hopefully we will have a great view from the Crow’s Nest.

The wonderful holiday continues.

FT

frequent traveler, that was a most informative post with loads of orientation information, especially for travelers who will be going to Alaska this season for the first time. Thank you.

Off the ship and in Anchorage........Next time, and yes there will be a next trip to Alaska, we want to fly in and out of Anchorage and do a BtB so we can do all the excursions we missed in all the ports!

Leaving for dinner soon – sky is clearing so hopefully we will have a great view from the Crow’s Nest.

The wonderful holiday continues.

FT

I think, I read you are going on to Denali..I hope it shows its face for you! Try to do the park's Savage River hike in the late afternoon ...the Dall sheep were playing "king of the mountain" for us and can right down to river (stream) and us to drink...great for photos. It is an easy 2 mile loop but still a nice hike.

Next time do try to have a few days in/around Anchorage..there are some great and beautiful day trips both to the north besides to Denali and to the south of the city. Driving is so very easy and not very much traffic after you leave the downtown area.

Thanks so much for posting i have made some notes...we will be up there in Sept!

Archived