Victoria at night? 7 pm to midnight

COREYATMN

Hi, we'll be on the Golden Princess and arriving in Victoia on 9-23 at 7 pm.

I'm guessing there won't be a lot of time to see the gardens and such.

I'm looking for recommendations for some evening time fillers there. We were thinking of doing a pub crawl. Any suggestions regarding that or other ideas will be appreciated!

Corey

We were just there a week ago. Butchart Gardens are illuminated at night. I actually prefer to go there after dark. Fewer crowds, and the illumination they have set up really accentuates the gardens. It does make photography more challenging, however. I brought a monopod this time, and a few years ago took my tripod with me. Made for some amazing images.

I would recommend skipping the Butterfly Gardens on a night port call. We went after Butchart, and they were all sleeping.

Hi, we'll be on the Golden Princess and arriving in Victoia on 9-23 at 7 pm.

I'm guessing there won't be a lot of time to see the gardens and such.

I'm looking for recommendations for some evening time fillers there. We were thinking of doing a pub crawl. Any suggestions regarding that or other ideas will be appreciated!

Corey

Unfortunately you won't be able to go to Butchart Gardens as it closes at 5:00 PM during that time of the year.

If this was me I would go into downtown Victoria. It is a beautiful city and the downtown area is located only a five minute drive from the pier. I would just walk around the city for a couple of hours because the reality is that is about as much time as you will have.

Keith

We booked the excursion through HAL. They must have arrangements with the locations to allow for after-hours entry. Our bus stopped at the guard building, came back with our tickets, and we were heading to the gardens.

No passenger cars in the lot, but there were several tour buses. The gift shops were still open (how convenient :D). Butterfly Gardens were closed too, but they had staff on hand to accomodate these pre-arranged group tours.

These are the hours that are listed on their web site at least for the general public.

April 1—June 14/11

(Special closing times - June 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11 - Gates close at 9:00pm with grounds open until 10:00pm)

9:00am - 5:00pm

June 15/11—Sept 3/11 9:00am - 10:00pm

September 4—15/11 9:00am - 9:00pm

September 16—30/11 9:00am - 5:00pm

October 1—31/11 9:00am - 4:00pm

November 1—30/11 9:00am - 3:30pm

December 1/11—January 6/12 9:00am - 9:00pm

Christmas Day, 2011 1:00pm - 9:00pm

January 7/12—February 28/12 9:00am - 3:30pm

If you've never been to the gardens and they have a special opening for the ship then I'd grab that. Failing that...

Victoria has many public houses and Vancouver Island has a number of microbreweries. I'm not a pub crawler - but I think a little basic "googling" will review lots of info.

Taking the shuttle into town and wandering around is certainly an option. Make sure you visit Roger's Chocolates - as you'll surely be in need of calories after a cruise ship dinner :). Seriously, they have been there a long time and make really good stuff.

We often just walk into town along the waterfront pathway (well signed) and then wander back through the James Bay neighborhood (might see a rugby game) or along Dallas Road (views to the Olympic Mountains in Washington).

If the weather is nice a simple walk to the end of the breakwater can be invigorating.

Most importantly, note that Victoria is a place you'd like to come back to when your stop isn't mostly designed to comply with the "Jones Act" and pick up fresh flowers for the next trip.

Archived