Problem with air on trip cancellation claim

LME

Hoping someone has been in this situation and can give me some advice...

We had to cancel a cruise in April due to a death in the family. We insured the trip, cruise and air, through our TA (although I booked the air on my own, we insured the total cost of cruise + air).

The ins. co paid the cruise part of the claim, but because jetBlue issues a credit for the amount of the cancelled air (less a $100 canc. fee) that can be used for a year, they won't pay the air part unless we can get jet Blue to cancel out the credit on our account, which we can't get JetBlue to do. It is over $2,000, and I feel like we are caught in the middle.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation? My TA pretty much washed his hands of it.

I think you are stuck. The terms of the insurance policies depend on the specific DOC, but if you have been issued a credit by the airline, your only actual loss is the non-refundable $100 fee. Insurance will only pay for pre-paid non refundable items, and your company considers the credit to be a refund. Perhaps you have to wait until the credit expires and then re-file?

Wow. For starters, you need to find a new TA for future trips. Stuff like this is exactly what you are paying the Travel Agent to help you with. They undoubtedly took a commission on the policy, now is their time to earn it.

While I haven't had to deal with it myself (I didn't bother claiming air on my cancellation claim, as I knew I was going to re-schedule the trip and use the credit) but I thought at least some companies simply made you sign a contract promising not to use the credit and then they would issue a check.

If you have access to a phone capable of three-way calling, I'd get the insurance company and JetBlue on the phone at the same time... then the insurance company can hear for themselves that they are asking for the impossible. Alternatively, e-mail JetBlue asking them to cancel the credit, and then send the response to the insurance company.

This is case-in-point why I typically don't insure our airfare. In many cases your airline will give you a future credit. I don't know of any insurance company that will give you a refund *and* let you keep your future credit. You can't double dip.

Usually, the airline give you vouchers for future flights, and in order to get a refund, you must first surrender your vouchers to the insurance company.

I don't think your case is unusual, I think it is typical.

Never insure something that you will never be able to collect on. But sadly, people do it all the time.

...so this issue got resolved - I spoke to Travelguard and they agreed to cover the cost of the air tickets - no problems.

I think my lesson learned here was: don't have your husband try to handle any of your travel arrangements, particularly insurance!

Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

But how are they handling it? Are they reimbursing you for the change fee and you keep the vouchers? Are you getting all your money back, and you have to turn the vouchers over to them?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Archived