Panama: April or October

racelvis

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is better to do the Panama Canal cruise in April or October on Celebrity Infinity.

There is a lot more rain in Costa Rica in October, but the other stops in the Carribean do not show that big of a weather difference. There is a price drop for October.

What do you think?:)

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is better to do the Panama Canal cruise in April or October on Celebrity Infinity.

There is a lot more rain in Costa Rica in October, but the other stops in the Carribean do not show that big of a weather difference. There is a price drop for October.

What do you think?:)

We went in October of last year for 15 days and it was only misty on one day. The forecast was for rain on all of the islands on the days we were there so we were very lucky that it didn't rain. It was hot going through the canal.

Carole

Prices are lower because it is hurricane season. Don't just focus on Panema, but think of the whole Caribbean as a storm target. We live in Florida and pay attention to such things. We would stay away from September and October cruises.

We would stay away from September and October cruises.

We have cruised in the Caribbean in October 3 times and have never had a problem. It is a risk, yes, but the prices are lower and it is worth the risk to us. Obviously, the cruise lines don't think it is too dangerous or there wouldn't be so many ships in the Caribbean in the fall. Each person has to make their own call on this question. We have missed a port or two before and left Haiti about 4 hours before a huge hurricane hit there one time, but we saw no high seas at all. The ships can usually sail around the storms - sometimes way, way around the storms, but they have plenty of warning. IMO, I wouldn't avoid September and October just because of the possibility of storms. If that is the case, I wouldn't live on the coast of Florida because of the possibility of hurricanes hitting either. Or in Tennessee (where I live) because of the possibility of tornadoes.

I'd choose April. GREAT weather. (of course avoid spring/Easter breaks) October as stated is named "hurricane season" for a reason. No one can tell you ir you will be lucky or not as far as weather then. (we've had good and not so good on Carib and Mexican land trips then) Altho yes, the ship will avoid areas of potentially strong storms, then you will be missing ports that you might have counted on.

You have to decide saving some money is worth the riskier weather. To us it isn't, as Dh only can get away four weeks a year. He doesn't want to "purposely" choose a time when we might not be able to enjoy the sun every day!;)

We did the Panama Canal cruise a few years ago on Infinity in early October from San Fran to Miami. Loved that cruise! We had wonderful weather going through the canal, hot and sunny. It was a beautiful day. We had nice weather most of the cruise. I think it is just the luck of the draw - you could get bad weather or great weather either month.

Rainy Season runs from the beginning of May through mid December in Panama and the surrounding area. In Panama the chances of an all day rain ruining your transit day are slim, normally the worst will a be a few showers. As far as hurricanes go, that's always a possibility, but here the worst you would probably encounter is a missed port or two on your itinerary. The Canal would NOT be missed in any event, they will make that date! You could get rain in April as well since it is at the end of the Dry Season and the transitional times between season can be even more unpredictable. The bottom line, go when it is best for you since you just can't really out plan Mother Nature.

I have done both. I found that it was a little warmer(Hot) in October going through the canal. Water in the Pacific was cooler in the spring so we didn't do any water activitites. Really enjoyed swimming in the Pacific in October. If I were to do it again, I think I would do it in October to enjoy swimming in the Pacific. We actually followed a hurricane up the Pacific coast. Really didn't have any problems.

Archived