Is the Wilderness Express All it's Cracked Up to Be?

Cy'all@C

I'm looking at Cruisetours and have a couple of questions...

1) Is taking the Wilderness Express from Anchorage into Denali "highly preferred" over taking the motorcoach?

2) I've taken the Alaskan Railway from Anchorage into Seward before (spectacular!) and wonder will the Wilderness Express from Anchorage into Denali be the same, better, or not as good?

Thanks for any input.

Trudy

I'm looking at Cruisetours and have a couple of questions...

1) Is taking the Wilderness Express from Anchorage into Denali "highly preferred" over taking the motorcoach?

2) I've taken the Alaskan Railway from Anchorage into Seward before (spectacular!) and wonder will the Wilderness Express from Anchorage into Denali be the same' date=' better, or not as good?

Thanks for any input.

Trudy[/quote']

Just took the "WE" from Anchorage to Denali via Talkeetna. Very comfy cars...great view.....very good food ( a bit spendy) great service from the crew.......We would definitely opt for the "WE" our next trip to Alaska......

We found that it made a big difference whether we were riding up on top in a domed car or down on the lower level.

Upstairs, above the trees, we had wonderful expansive, unobstructed views. Down below for part of the time the views from the windows were blocked by trees and shrubbery. The difference was especially apparent after riding up above when we went downstairs to eat in the dining car.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't know the WE was a double decker. I assume, the early bird gets the top deck so thanks for the heads up on that!

Anyone take the Anchorage-Seward train that can compare those views with the Anchorage-Denali route? Thanks.

Trudy

I have just again, done the entire distance of the Alaska RR, and by far, the most scenic portion is Anchorage/Seward.

I also, again, rode in the dome car, most of the trip, and did not find a lot of expansive views in those heavy tree areas. It was a lot of trees on the Anchorage/Fairbanks portion. The Parks Highway does parallel the train, with similar views in a lot of areas.

A key issue is the overall, time. Take a look at cruisetours and their schedules, if you are on a short cruisetour, spending that 8 hours on the train, Anchorage/Denali, which has you arriving around 4pm, may not be the best choice if a bus can get you there hours earlier. Especially if you have touring priorities at Denali.

• 1 year later...
I have just again, done the entire distance of the Alaska RR, and by far, the most scenic portion is Anchorage/Seward.

I also, again, rode in the dome car, most of the trip, and did not find a lot of expansive views in those heavy tree areas. It was a lot of trees on the Anchorage/Fairbanks portion. The Parks Highway does parallel the train, with similar views in a lot of areas.

A key issue is the overall, time. Take a look at cruisetours and their schedules, if you are on a short cruisetour, spending that 8 hours on the train, Anchorage/Denali, which has you arriving around 4pm, may not be the best choice if a bus can get you there hours earlier. Especially if you have touring priorities at Denali.

As a person that has been on this train maybe you could answer a question. We are doing Cruisetour #12 with Celebrity and was curious if we by chance have snacks or a half empty bottle of wine when we get ready to board, can we bring this on the train. Not looking to say we will consume but dont want to pack these in our luggage but dont want to throw it away either, will they go thru my purse/bag before boarding and take it? Trying to plan ahead!

As a person that has been on this train maybe you could answer a question. We are doing Cruisetour #12 with Celebrity and was curious if we by chance have snacks or a half empty bottle of wine when we get ready to board, can we bring this on the train. Not looking to say we will consume but dont want to pack these in our luggage but dont want to throw it away either, will they go thru my purse/bag before boarding and take it? Trying to plan ahead!

There are no limitations on what you can bring on board to eat. It should be on their website- or call, verifing any alcohol restrictions.

I found the train trip from Denali to Anchorage to be one of the highlights of our trip. I enjoyed the 8 hour trip looking at the scenery. It is very confy compared to a motorcoach. Twice as much leg room. Wide seats and nice views from the glass dome. The husband of our traveling companion found it boring and slept. The person giving the commentary was excellent. He gave lots of info--but, did not rattle on endlessly. [The only criticism I had of our Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali was that the guide never stopped talking for 9 hours]:mad:

The mountain was out on our train trip. They said it was one of the best views all summer. We believed this because all of the train employees ran for their cameras and started taking pictures, too.

lineage--No one checked our carry on bags. I ate lunch in the dining area of the train car. But, DH said he was not very hungry. So he ate cheese and deer sausage we had gotten the day before in Denali at his seat. No one said a word.

It was a nice relaxing day. But, it does take up a whole day. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

lineage--No one checked our carry on bags. I ate lunch in the dining area of the train car. But, DH said he was not very hungry. So he ate cheese and deer sausage we had gotten the day before in Denali at his seat. No one said a word.

There are no restrictions eating at your seat.

We have our Denali to Anchorage trip on a motor coach as per the RCL cruiseTour. Wondering if I could replace that with the WE. Would the comfort of the train....

Sure you can book and pay for the train. This is assuming there are no actives that day that you are also paying for??

Why don't you just dump the cruisetour? Peak, will cost you an additional $150pp.

I am going to play devils advocate here. Is there a reason that you can not or do not want to do the trip by car? We did the train trip from Anchorage some years back and disliked almost every minute of it. The train was nice and the views from the dome cars were nice as you whizzed past great views at speed without stopping but I do not like to be on a trip where I can not control where I stop and how long I stop. We took the bus back and that was even worse - mainly because I dislike (I was going to use the word "hate" but that might be just a wee a bit of an exaggeration) tourist buses because unless you are on the correct side of the bus and at a window seat, you can't see anything. On a bus, you have all the disadvantages of the train without the opportunity to walk around. Both options are bad but the bus is worse.

All of this is just my opinion but think about going by car if you possibly can.

DON

I do not think I said there were any.:confused:

Absolutely not. :)

It was a general comment, meaning, your own food could be picked up and brought on board. My routine is for Subway when I leave Seward. Could also be an option at Denali= now that I think about it. :)

We are taking the train between McKinley/Talkeetna and Denali and they specifically stated that NO FOOD can be brought on board. This is Princess line so maybe the different car services have different rules.

We are taking the train between McKinley/Talkeetna and Denali and they specifically stated that NO FOOD can be brought on board. This is Princess line so maybe the different car services have different rules.

Princess has their OWN railcars. Probably hard to enforce and especially so, due to their table seating, with sets of 4 seats.

Archived