Finding things first time (Emerald)

SJ27

Hi

Just over 2 weeks to our first cruise and very excited :)

A question on how we find things once we are on board .... For example we have been told to sign our kid up for kids club as soon as we can, find the desk re excursion reservations, etc ... Is there some kind of handbook in the cabin that tells you what to do where, and where everything is?

Thanks in advance!

When you check in for your cruise you will receive a little foldable map of the ship, carry it with you until you find your way around. Plus, by the elevator banks there are also 'you are here' maps that show you the way to other areas. Enjoy!

You will be given a map of the ship when you check in, and there will be a binder of ship info in your cabin.

Also, the Princess website has great deck plans, so you can look at them in advance and get a general idea of where things are.

Thanks. Maps are one thing but is there is also something that says "if you want to do X you need to contact Y"?

Have done plenty looking at the deck plans on the website :)

A little card is left in your cabin which shows you the layout of all the ship's decks. That should help you find your way around. If you get turned around/lost....just ask anyone on-board, they'll point you in the right direction.

Did you know you can book your shore excursions online?

There is a wealth of information on this board and on the princess website. We usually check out the deck plans ahead of time online to get somewhat familiar with the lay of the land on a ship we've never sailed.

Every evening, a new Princess Patter will be delivered to your stateroom that will give you the on-board activity, time and place.

I remember our first Princess cruise. Enjoy!

Post again with any other questions you have.

When you arrive in your cabin there will be several pieces of information. A copy of the Princess Patter will be awaiting you with information about what is available for that day's activities. On the desk will be a binder with all the information you will need contained therein. The foldable map will be extrenely handy as will be the "designators" by the elevators.

I hope your cruise is a fantastic exp[erience and that you will want to return as quickly as possible. Bon voyage!!

Hi

Just over 2 weeks to our first cruise and very excited :)

A question on how we find things once we are on board .... For example we have been told to sign our kid up for kids club as soon as we can, find the desk re excursion reservations, etc ... Is there some kind of handbook in the cabin that tells you what to do where, and where everything is?

Thanks in advance!

There is no "handbook" to explain what to do, where, and when because everyone is different. As mentioned, take the pocketmap and determine where you wish to go first, second, etc. I've been on cruises where the Staff to sign up Children for their program is on the Gangway. Just ask either at the check-in desk in the terminal or a Princess representative as you are boarding.

My usual pattern when on a new ship is as follows: Go to Stateroom if allowed and drop off Tote bag/hand luggage. Take the Ship's Newsletter & Paperwork up to the Lido deck for a Buffet lunch. Take my camera, start at the top/highest deck, and walk around and photograph each public room. This will give you a really good feel of what room is where; spa, gym, library, Piano Bar, etc. I continue down until I'm exhausted or have had enough! By this time it is usally almost time for the Life Boat/Muster Drill. When I return to my cabin, often the luggage has arrived and I am anxious to unpack. (My clothes are often packed a week in advance, due to pre-cruise travel.)

You should pre-book ship tours wherever possible, if that is what you choose. Many get sold out. Talk to the family. Let the "children" give you an idea of what they want to do. You can access the tours that are available through your Personalizer. Try to let each person make a choice. Also, don't be afraid of independent tours; jitneys, taxi's etc. They will give you the "local" experience which can be very educational for the children as well as Mom & Dad and will save a family money.

Thanks all for the very helpful advice!

Yes we have booked online, only one excursion (where, apparently strangely, the Princess tour was cheaper than the private operators), one private tour, and all the other ports are walkable or have HOHO buses or other easy public transport. Although it's our first cruise we are pretty well-travelled so no problems with finding our way around foreign cities :)

My only fear is not getting back to the ship on time but I understand that is a very common first-timer fear :D

Thanks again.

In your cabin and usually left on the dressing table, you'll find the ship's directory. It explains practically everything so try to skim through it on day one. You phone is one of the handiest feautures for booking restaurants, contacting the purser, lotus spa appointments, etc. Also it is so convenient to phone shipmates (providing you know their cabin number) and leave messages if they aren't in their cabins.

Enjoy your cruise.

If one wants to book specialty dining for 5 nights and UBD one night as well as spa reservations and anytime dining reservations and sign kids up for kids club - where should one go first? We have a complimentary dinner at sabatinis on the first night - is it hard to get a reservation for that?

If one wants to book specialty dining for 5 nights and UBD one night as well as spa reservations and anytime dining reservations and sign kids up for kids club - where should one go first? We have a complimentary dinner at sabatinis on the first night - is it hard to get a reservation for that?

There should be a notice in your cabin about what time to go to the kids club to sign up. No need to rush there when first getting on the ship.

There should be no problem getting your Sabatini's reservation for the first evening. Just go by there sometime after boarding to make the reservation or call the Dine line from your cabin telephone. Can do this at your leisure, not a rush item.

The Dine line can also do the booking for the other specialty dining nights as well as booking the UBD. UBD availability is limited, so I would make this your first priority.

You can call or go by the Spa to make your appointments. Do this early to be sure you can get the times you want.

If you are on a seven day cruise, not sure why you want anytime dining reservations since you indicated you will be using specialty restaurants or UBD for six evenings.

This was always a big concern for us,as we have found kids happy= mom and dad happy. The Children's Program has always been set up to grab families and tell them about the program as you board the ship. There is an orientation meeting for parents the first evening to explain the rules and to set up your desires. You can choose if child can leave program on their own or if you will pick them up. Princess has alway had a great program, very organized and my very shy daughter always had a great time. She would gulp down her dinner so she could get to play with the kids. Another cruise line was not so good, gave her a list of items and sent her out on a scavenger hunt by herself. Problem was she was just out of kindergarden and could not read. That was our last cruise on that line for sure. Princess was much better and Children's staff went out of their way to make kids happy.

There should be a notice in your cabin about what time to go to the kids club to sign up. No need to rush there when first getting on the ship.

There should be no problem getting your Sabatini's reservation for the first evening. Just go by there sometime after boarding to make the reservation or call the Dine line from your cabin telephone. Can do this at your leisure, not a rush item.

The Dine line can also do the booking for the other specialty dining nights as well as booking the UBD. UBD availability is limited, so I would make this your first priority.

You can call or go by the Spa to make your appointments. Do this early to be sure you can get the times you want.

If you are on a seven day cruise, not sure why you want anytime dining reservations since you indicated you will be using specialty restaurants or UBD for six evenings.

10 day cruise probably go eat in anytime on the formal nights and room svc the others

And has been mentioned in another post, go on the "Treasure Hunt" when you embark. You'll get a card that you need to get stamped in various locations around the ship. It's a great way to wander the ship and familiarize yourself. And hey, you might win something at sailaway!

Where do you get the scavenger hunt card? Do they give it to you when you sign in? Sounds fun and a great way to explore the ship. Will be boarding the Island Princess in July in Alaska. First time with Princess.

Where do you get the scavenger hunt card? Do they give it to you when you sign in? Sounds fun and a great way to explore the ship. Will be boarding the Island Princess in July in Alaska. First time with Princess.

Sometimes you get it when you check in.

Sometimes it is in your cabin.

Sometimes you just ask for one at the spa, photo gallery, outside the botiques, or several other places.

Archived