Any tips, advice, ideas for new family travelers?

wanderlust79

My husband and I just had our first baby and we are really excited to start traveling as a family. We love cruising, so I was hoping to get any tips, advice or ideas to help us transition from traveling as a couple to traveling with a little one. For example, what ports are easy and fun with babies? Any must-have items to bring along? Any baby items we may think we need to pack, but aren't really necessary? We would love any and all helpful info!

I know I can search on previous threads, but I thought it would be nice to have a lot of different thoughts all right here in one thread.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Since you live in California my advice would be to try to find a cruise that leaves and returns out of California to take flights out of the equation as it should make traveling to and from the cruise ship a bit easier for all of you.

Keith

In general, as already mentioned, a cruise you can drive to is easiest - it also means you can take car seat, stroller, diapers, etc. without too much trouble. You also want to look for a cruise with few, if any tenders. It is not only easier, it is quicker when you can just walk back on board when you need/want to.

Little ones have their own personalities which will indicate to you how you should plan. Some can sleep anywhere/anytime. Others need dark and quiet and their own beds. Some eat right on schedule, others are not so predictable. Some don't mind strangers, some freak out. Some find colors/noise/crowds invigorating, others panic.

My DS was always cheerful, easy going, quiet and curious. We could take him anywhere and, often, people did not even realize he was there. You can go where ever you want but you will need to take into account the needs of the little one or no one will have a good time.

We are 'travel light' folks but with a little one, we had a stroller, car seat, our own pack n' play, diapers and a few other necessities. We weren't traveling light for several years! The attitude you and DH take will make all the difference.

Congrats on the new addition. IMHO the thoughts and tips are likely more numerous and enlightening at any of the many new parent focused blogs/networks than us single minded cruisers :D

I guess thinking back the best times to vacation travel was 3months to about a year, after that was totally YMMV. Each of my children had a unique different personality and disposition that made it either easier or more challenge at the various stages from toddler to teen.

Welcome to the world of being an unselfish parent ;)

My husband and I just had our first baby and we are really excited to start traveling as a family. We love cruising, so I was hoping to get any tips, advice or ideas to help us transition from traveling as a couple to traveling with a little one. For example, what ports are easy and fun with babies? Any must-have items to bring along? Any baby items we may think we need to pack, but aren't really necessary? We would love any and all helpful info!

I know I can search on previous threads, but I thought it would be nice to have a lot of different thoughts all right here in one thread.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! We first cruised with our daughter when she was almost 6 months old on a 7 day Alaska itinerary. We waited until she was old enough to sit on an umbrella stroller and carried her everywhere in a baby carrier. We sat on the deck and enjoyed the scenery with her while not in ports. There were plenty of things to do with the baby in tow including scenic train and tram rides. The towns were right where the shipped docked. You can take a tour or walk around and it was easy to come back to the ship for a nap.

For another kid-friendly itinerary, I really like the Hawaiian cruise because you can rent a car at each port. There are plenty of beaches and parks to stop and let kids play. Since you have your own car, you have a bit more freedom and flexibility with your time and itinerary instead of being tied down to a tour. You can still do a scenic drive while your baby is taking a nap.

Try to get a cabin with a mini-refrigerator. It comes in handy with snacks, milk and food. We usually preferred a cruise line that has the anytime type dining where you can either make a reservation or walk in instead of being tied down to the traditional dining room at a specific time. You'll know your child's schedule so you can time your dinner around that.

I've also always added an extra days worth of diapers to my children's daily use during cruise travel when they were younger. We've never ran out and I've always said that diapers will give you the extra room needed for souvenirs to bring home.:) We've also never brought a 'pack and play' and have managed even with 2 toddlers.

It's a bit more challenging with infants and toddlers but for us, it got easier travelling with them as they get older. Good luck with your travel plans.

For example, what ports are easy and fun with babies?

I'd look for any cruise with a stop at a private island/beach (e.g. Half Moon Cay, Labadee, Castaway Cay) as you don't have to worry about taxis, carseats, etc., Grand Turk and St. Maarten are great as well as there are beaches either right at the dock or within walking distance, and we also loved just wandering around Key West or Old San Juan - easy to do with a stroller.

Any must-have items to bring along?

Grandparents!! Seriously, if you can travel with others who love the little one as much as you do, your chances of getting some quiet time to yourself are vastly improved. Also bring your own crib or P&P sheets.

Any baby items we may think we need to pack, but aren't really necessary?

You need to pack pretty much all the essentials (diapers, wipes, baby food, etc.) but would probably pack fewer toys next time - on some cruiselines (RCCL) you can borrow toys, so I would limit it to a few small favourites. Most babies are easily entertained by all the sights and sounds - no need to bring much more.

Some of the ideas I've read so far include:

-Have essentials (diapers, wipes, things that would be bulky and/or heavy) shipped to your pre cruise hotel if you are flying to a port. I used to think this idea was ridiculous but now I'm thinking about how much room diapers + swim diapers will take up so I'm going to do one of those flat rate boxes and fill it to the brim.

-babywearing

-There are very few options for ships that have a nursery or will accept babies under 2 or 3. Most ships to have in cabin babysitting though.

-Most ships do not have a baby pool or splash area for non potty trained babies/toddler so some people bring their own tiny inflatable pool. This is a heated topic b/c of health issues. I don't have an opinion on it either way.

-put individual baby outfits in zip top baggies.

-Most ships offer pack and plays so no need to bring your own unless you don't want to use one that others have used. There are also alternatives to where baby can sleep depending on baby age and your personal preferences. Turning sofa around to face wall, on the floor, in your bed, travel bed like pea pod.

Consider saving money and purchasing diapers/swimmers/wipes at your port destination. Also, we brought a stroller and a backpack for our 14 month old son - both were wonderful to have in different situations. Consider sailing on Disney or Royal Caribbean's Freedom Class or newer - these ships offer pools the non potty trained babes can swim in - safely. (regardless of anyone's opion on swim diapers, it is a fact that there are bacteria and viruses that can cause serious illness or death from any infected person, diapered or not) Bring a car seat. Airlines allow you to check it for free and you'll need it at your port destination. If you don't have room to store it in the cabin, then your attendant can store it for you.

Perhaps most importantly, go with no expectations. Seriously, traveling with babies and children is so different than traveling on your own. Just go with the flow and have a great time. :)

Check out my Freedom review - I discuss my experience with a 14 month old. ;)

Archived