Oceania's visa threats

comcox

We are booked on an Oceania Black Sea cruise this year which includes a port stop in Sochi, Russia. We've booked a private tour there and have been assured by the tour guide that we do not need visas for any visit less that 72 hours.

Indeed the U.S. Dept. of State travel website states:

"International Cruise Ship/Ferry Passengers: You are permitted to visit Russian ports without a visa for a period of up to 72 hours. If you wish to go ashore during port calls you may do so without visas, provided that you are with an organized tour at all times and accompanied by a tour operator who has been duly licensed by Russian authorities."

Oceania seems to have other ideas however as I received the following reply (threat?) from them:

"Oceania Cruises carries these tourist visas and when guests sail with us and want to go ashore they must go with our pre arranged tours and will be covered under our Visas. If guest wish to go ashore on their own they must obtain a visa from a Russian Tour operator prior to sailing or will not be able to disembark in Russia with out this. This information is provided by our Marine Operations and Visa Department. . . ."

Cordially,

Dianne W. Blazquez

Special Services Coordinator, MS Insignia

Oceania Cruises, Inc.

As best I read this it's take our shore excursion or be forced to pay $155 plus processing fee each for a Russian visa. Or just be held "captive" for the day on the ship.

Has anyone else run into this problem with Oceania? How did you deal with it?

"Oceania Cruises carries these tourist visas and when guests sail with us and want to go ashore they must go with our pre arranged tours and will be covered under our Visas. If guest wish to go ashore on their own they must obtain a visa from a Russian Tour operatorprior to sailing or will not be able to disembark in Russia with out this. This information is provided by our Marine Operations and Visa Department. . . ."

I am sure someone with recent experience will answer

My understanding is that the letter from the private licensed guide is your blanket Visa

You will get a letter of confirmation from your tour guide this is what will be needed by the authorities

Make a copy & make sure every one in your group has the letter

That is the way it has worked in the past

lyn

When we did the private tour in St Ptersburg, our private tour operator emailed us a document to show to the Russian customs people. We went off and on for two days with no problem but we had to be with a tour guide. Don't let the cruise lines mislead you. Yes you have to have documentation from a tour guide in Russia. Hope this helps.:)

If you have a tour scheduled with a Russian Tour operator you are covered. Our guide (St. Petersburg) sent us a "ticket" that we must have when we get off the ship. I think Oceania is just making sure that its passengers don't expect to go off the ship completely on their own.

We were in Sochi last June with Oceania and had a private tour booked. As long as you have a reputable tour operator and he/she meets you at the point of deembarkation in Sochi, you do not need a visa. This is current information!!! Arlene;)

Comcox, I don't think that O is "threatening" you to use their tours. They state that if you don't go on their tours, which includes a blanket visa, that you must have your own.

As I read it, if you book with a private tour company, they will send you the appropriate documentation for your entry into Russia when on their tour. Of course, that is only an interrpretation of their policy on may part, but of course, I can relate to your getting exact information, which you need to do directly with a "named person" at O.

Sounds slike a great trip!!!

Comcox, I don't think that O is "threatening" you to use their tours. They state that if you don't go on their tours, which includes a blanket visa, that you must have your own.

As I read it, if you book with a private tour company, they will send you the appropriate documentation for your entry into Russia when on their tour. Of course, that is only an interrpretation of their policy on may part, but of course, I can relate to your getting exact information, which you need to do directly with a "named person" at O.

Sounds slike a great trip!!!

I agree with your assessment. Most passengers do not belong to CC and may not know all their options. Many other countries you can just walk off the ship on your own. O wants to make sure that everyone knows that this cannot be done in Sochi - you either do an O or a private tour (pre-arranged) if you want to get off the ship.

That way there will be no surprises like - "nobody told us we can't just get off the ship". It's called CYA (cover your a**).

As long as you have a reputable tour operator and he/she meets you at the point of deembarkation in Sochi, you do not need a visa. This is current information!!! Arlene;)

Reputable or not ....tours have to be operated by a licensed Russian tour company approved by the Russian Immigration Service.

They will have a license number which should be on their website & on your documentation that you receive from them

We were in St. Petersburg two years ago. It's not enough to have booked a tour with a private company. You must receive and print out the proper documents from the tour company. I had contacted a company in Murmansk that offered tours but didn't have this capability. It is important to understand that not all tour companies are contracted with the government to issue the documents to cruise participants.

We had a friend who lives in St. Petersburg and we wanted to spend time with her. The last day, our guide left us with the driver and our friend and we went out to lunch and then she showed us her neighborhood and some other places that she liked. The driver did not speak English and our friend knew her way around so this worked out well. The rest of the time we had the guide as well as the driver and it was a wonderful experience. juliaguide@gmail.com

Reputable or not ....tours have to be operated by a licensed Russian tour company approved by the Russian Immigration Service.

They will have a license number which should be on their website & on your documentation that you receive from them

And the best way to get a "reputable" guide is by a good recommendation or a company that will give you its license information prior to contracting them. As I said, we walked off the ship to our waiting tour guide -- and if anyone wants the name of the tour company it is Sochi Holiday!! Arlene;)

Many cruise lines use this tactic. We experienced the same thing with another cruiseline. We were in St. Petersburg for a 2 day stay. We arranged a tour with a private company who arranged for us to be covered with a visa by their tour group. If it is a legitimate company they will ask for the name of the people joining the tour and their passport information that they require to get the passengers covered by a visa without having to individually pay for a visa. We used Alex's Tours in St. Petersburg and had no problem Perhaps he could recommend a tour company in the area you will be visiting.

I guess the statement is subject to interpretation

If guest wish to go ashore on their own they must obtain a visa from a Russian Tour operator prior to sailing

It does say from a Russian Tour Operator which to me is the company like SPB-TOURS or Denrus or the others mentioned in the Baltic forums

I do not see any threat just information

With the licensed tour guide the letter is your VISA/Ticket for the tour

As stated above you must provide passport numbers or a copy ( I cannot remember) prior to your getting the documents from them

Lyn

I thad been my understanding that the tour guide would bring the necessary papers when they picked us up, but from the way Oceania's message read, they would not even let us embark on the cruise (in this case in Athens) unless we already had those papers with us.

I thad been my understanding that the tour guide would bring the necessary papers when they picked us up, but from the way Oceania's message read, they would not even let us embark on the cruise (in this case in Athens) unless we already had those papers with us.

As posted by others above, you need your papers from your tour guide ahead of time (via e mail).

This is not for Oceania's sake, it is so that you can pass through Russian immigration to meet your guide in Sochi. Your guide cannot deliver your papers to you there! He cannot get to you and you cannot get to him (unless you have papers to clear Russian immigration).

Oceania will let your board w/o papers but Russians will not let you disembark without them.

I hope this makes it clear :)

Most licensed guides will email the papers without question

They know how it works with cruises & immigration

They need your passport information before they can do anything

Just ask your guide

As pointed out above... print off the papers before you leave home...no fuss no muss

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

We are booked on an Oceania Black Sea cruise this year which includes a port stop in Sochi, Russia. We've booked a private tour there and have been assured by the tour guide that we do not need visas for any visit less that 72 hours.

Indeed the U.S. Dept. of State travel website states:

"International Cruise Ship/Ferry Passengers: You are permitted to visit Russian ports without a visa for a period of up to 72 hours. If you wish to go ashore during port calls you may do so without visas, provided that you are with an organized tour at all times and accompanied by a tour operator who has been duly licensed by Russian authorities."

Oceania seems to have other ideas however as I received the following reply (threat?) from them:

"Oceania Cruises carries these tourist visas and when guests sail with us and want to go ashore they must go with our pre arranged tours and will be covered under our Visas. If guest wish to go ashore on their own they must obtain a visa from a Russian Tour operator prior to sailing or will not be able to disembark in Russia with out this. This information is provided by our Marine Operations and Visa Department. . . ."

Cordially,

Dianne W. Blazquez

Oceania Cruises, Inc.

As best I read this it's take our shore excursion or be forced to pay $155 plus processing fee each for a Russian visa. Or just be held "captive" for the day on the ship.

Has anyone else run into this problem with Oceania? How did you deal with it?

The underlined bolded part states only that you won't be able to disembark in Russia without a visa from a Russian Tour operator (if you haven't booked an excursion with O), not that you can't board the ship.

Below is a message I just received from Oceania regarding the visa requirements in Sochi:

Any arrangements you make with an outside tour operator for Sochi Russia is solely up to you and the tour company, Oceania Cruises is not involved and holds no responsibility.

Please see below Oceania Cruises Policy for traveling to St. Petersburg or Sochi, Russia and the Visa requirements.

Visitors to Russia must have a Russian Tourist Visa; however this requirement is waived for Oceania Cruises guests participating on an Oceania Cruises tour or private vehicle arrangement. During the guest's stay in St. Petersburg or Sochi, a program of tour choices is available. Guests who have purchased Oceania Cruises tours must present a valid passport, along with their tour ticket. Guests of any nationality will be covered by the blanket visa for Russia as long as they are participating on an Oceania Cruises tour or private vehicle arrangement.

Guests who wish to sightsee outside of an Oceania Cruises tour must obtain a Russian Tourist Visa before leaving home. Visas cannot be obtained during the cruise.

To obtain a Russian Tourist Visa, you need to be sponsored by a licensed Russian tour company that will provide you with the necessary Visa Support Letter and documentation. You will be obligated to use the services of the Russian Tour Company that provided the Visa Support Letter. Once you have the Visa Support Letter guests should contact the Russian Embassy to obtain their Visa. Visa Service companies can assist guests in acquiring the Support Letter and Visa.

Guests with individual Russian Tourist Visas will disembark after Guests on Oceania Cruises tours and must present the following to Russian Immigration: A valid passport and a Russian Tourist Visa. It is recommended that any independent tours or services be arranged no earlier than 90 minutes after the ship’s scheduled arrival.

Guest who are not taking an Oceania Cruises shore excursion or who do not have a Russian Tourist Visa will not be allowed to go ashore in St. Petersburg or in Sochi.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you and have a good day!

Cordially,

Dianne W. Blazquez

Oceania Cruises, Inc.

dblazquez@oceaniacruises.com

Below is a message I just received from Oceania regarding the visa requirements in Sochi:

Any arrangements you make with an outside tour operator for SochiRussia is solely up to you and the tour company, Oceania Cruises is not involved and holds no responsibility.

Please see below Oceania Cruises Policy for traveling to St. Petersburg or Sochi, Russia and the Visa requirements.

Visitors to Russia must have a Russian Tourist Visa; however this requirement is waived for Oceania Cruises guests participating on an Oceania Cruises tour or private vehicle arrangement. During the guest's stay in St. Petersburg or Sochi, a program of tour choices is available. Guests who have purchased Oceania Cruises tours must present a valid passport, along with their tour ticket. Guests of any nationality will be covered by the blanket visa for Russia as long as they are participating on an Oceania Cruises tour or private vehicle arrangement.

Guests who wish to sightsee outside of an Oceania Cruises tour must obtain a Russian Tourist Visa before leaving home. Visas cannot be obtained during the cruise.

To obtain a Russian Tourist Visa, you need to be sponsored by a licensed Russian tour company that will provide you with the necessary Visa Support Letter and documentation. You will be obligated to use the services of the Russian Tour Company that provided the Visa Support Letter. Once you have the Visa Support Letter guests should contact the Russian Embassy to obtain their Visa. Visa Service companies can assist guests in acquiring the Support Letter and Visa.

Guests with individual Russian Tourist Visas will disembark after Guests on Oceania Cruises tours and must present the following to Russian Immigration: A valid passport and a Russian Tourist Visa. It is recommended that any independent tours or services be arranged no earlier than 90 minutes after the ship’s scheduled arrival.

Guest who are not taking an Oceania Cruises shore excursion or who do not have a Russian Tourist Visa will not be allowed to go ashore in St. Petersburg or in Sochi.

Cordially,

Dianne W. Blazquez

Oceania Cruises, Inc.

The part in red is new to me, and if true, it may represent a change in policy. Previously it was the Tour Company that arranged this visa for you via their license agreement with the Russian government.

More likely, however, this is just a case of "speaking cross purposes". It gives you directions on how to obtain Russian Visas (should you choose or wish to get them). However, if you arrange a tour with one of these licensed tour companies, you will not need a visa.

Thus, while everything written there is true (i.e.Guests who wish to sightsee outside of an Oceania Cruises tour must obtain a Russian Tourist Visa before leaving home. Visas cannot be obtained during the cruise.) , it may only apply to those who wish to go ashore on their own without a tour.

JMO

I would call and ask specifically about having arrangements with a licensed tour company. Also, the thing about "disembarking after cruise tours" has not been and will not be enforced when docked (maybe so on tendering).

Any arrangements you make with an outside tour operator for SochiRussia is solely up to you and the tour company, Oceania Cruises is not involved and holds no responsibility.

Cordially,

Dianne W. Blazquez

Oceania Cruises, Inc.

I'm not sure if you posted this in response to my post, but if you did, I still don't see where O says that they won't let you board the ship, which seemed to be your main concern, if you don't have a Russian visa.

The bolded part basically just says that if you want to go on your own in Russia, you need to have your visa before you embark because you can't get one while on the ship.

Nothing is stopping you from boarding. Something (the lack of a visa) will stop you from leaving it while in Russia.

Have you checked with the tour company you are using?

They do this regularly for cruises so they will know the rules

Lyn

Tour company says there should not be a problem. They quote same visa notice as on the U.S. State Dept. website (as long as you are with a licensed guide and you are here less than 72 hours no visa is required). It appears that Oceania has created their own stricter policy that limits passengers to either taking one of their shore excursions or private car arrangements, or pay to get a Russian visa ($145 plus any service fee) in advance of cruise.

Tour company says there should not be a problem. They quote same visa notice as on the U.S. State Dept. website (as long as you are with a licensed guide and you are here less than 72 hours no visa is required).

Just make sure you have all the documents from the tour operator/guide in hand before you board the ship ..make sure everyone in your group also have their copies

Hopefully someone from the earlier cruise will report in on their experience with using a private guide

Probably sounds more complicated than it actually is

enjoy the cruise

lyn

Just make sure you have all the documents from the tour operator/guide in hand before you board the ship ..make sure everyone in your group also have their copies

Hopefully someone from the earlier cruise will report in on their experience with using a private guide

Probably sounds more complicated than it actually is

enjoy the cruise

lyn

Except Oceania is now stating they simply will not let passengers off their ship for any private tour unless they have obtained a regular Russian tourist visa in advance. It doens't matter what tour company says.

Except Oceania is now stating they simply will not let passengers off their ship for any private tour unless they have obtained a regular Russian tourist visa in advance. It doens't matter what tour company says.

Oceania will not (cannot) prevent you from disembarking the ship. It would be the Russian immigration officers that would do that if you DO NOT have the proper documents from your tour company. That is the way it has always been in Russia (namely in SPG).

Has you company asked you for photocopies of your passports (for everyone in your group) - they need those to get your visas on your behalf.

If they haven't, you have the wrong company.

I think it is your interpretation of the rules that has you confused

It says you need VISA from a RUSSIAN Tour Operator, there are different types of VISAS

To obtain a Russian Tourist Visa, you need to be sponsored by a licensed Russian tour company that will provide you with the necessary Visa Support Letter and documentation.

Companies like Red October, Denrus etc qualify for the blanket/group VISA

From the Russian visa requirements

If Tour Group or Cruise Passenger: Letter from tour company or cruise line confirming itinerary and including a copy of the confirmation from authorized Russian travel company which shows the reference number and confirmation number for the visa.

You MUST have the letter with you onboard or you will not be allowed off ...if the guide has the documents onshore with them how will you show it to Immigration???

If in doubt contact the Russian consulate/Embassy for clarification on what is needed

Be sure to mention you are on a cruise & the name of the tour company you are using

That is the best way

Lyn

Archived