What's around the port at Tampa???

Antiqueoma

Leaving on the Miracle on 5/1/05 and just wondering what is around the immediate area at the port? I thought I read somewhere on the board that the warehouses have been turned into a shopping area and eating establishments?

The port area has quite a few attractions right there where you will board the ship. There are restaurants, shopping areas and parking garages. But the biggest attraction there is the HUGE aquarium! Although we haven't been inside it, we heard from the locals that it is very neat to see.

There is also a WWII liberty ship docked right there next to the aquarium that you can tour. Being the WWII history buff that I am, it was very interesting to visit.

The worst thing about the port area, however, is the traffic! You have people coming in to get ON the ship just as passengers are trying to get OFF the same ship. This makes for a traffic nightmare! My recommendation is to get there EARLY if you plan on leaving a car parked there.

Have a great cruise!

:cool: Bill

Now they have built Channelside, which is a big collection of shops, restaurants, and bars. The aquarium is also right there. There's lots of little stuff to see.

Yes, living in the Tampa area now, we go down to Channelside some weekends just to see the cruise ships and eat at one of the fun restaurants. Some day we might actually make it to the aquarium, which looks fun. Have a great time!!

-- R&K

There's a great place to "park" and enjoy a drink/meal at Margarita Mama's (I think that's the name of the place) right at Channelside.. We watched the Miracle sail right up to the dock next to us from there in February. Good food, outdoor upstairs patio and friendly staff..

But is there a mini-market there to get sodas before sailing? If not, I will get the taxi to stop somewhere (I hope). Just hate to schlep 2 12 packs for DH and I on the plane!

June

On Channelside Drive, accross from the long term parking area, there is a 7-11. It is NOT walking distance from the dock, IMO, but it is a quick run in for soda type place. As for the area around the docks, http://www.channelsidetampa.com/ is a link to the area. We love going in the middle of the Channelside Shopping area (entrance around the corner from Hooters) and climbing upstairs, and looking at the boat in the dock, etc. It is a phenominal sight. As for the Aquarium, it is way cheaper to go yourself vs the "tour" from the Cruiseline. I believe it is less than 1/2 the price to do it yourself. http://www.flaquarium.org/

Any other questions, just ask :)

Archived