It Isn't ALWAYS Someone Else's Fault.....

sail7seas

I mean this in the nicest possible way for all of to think about what we personally should do to assure we have the best possible cruise.

We have to be responsible for our own good time and not expect the dining steward, after being told once, perhaps on the fly, with all sorts of demands being made on him that you are allergic to seafood. It is up to the guest to mention it at every appropriate point and not expect him to remember you can't have shellfish. If your tongue starts to swell and you are in a bad state, if you didn't inquire if what you ordered was in any way likely to have shellfish in around or on it, it was your fault. IMO

If you want ice at a given time each day, mention it to your steward politely the first few days until you are sure he has made note of your preference. To slip it into the conversation when you first meet along with wanting more blankets, towels, water, mini bar emptied and everything else, makes you feel it is now his responsibility and no longer yours but it is still up to you, IMO, to be sure 'he got the message'.

I think you get my drift......

Sometimes the things we view as 'having gone wrong' might not happen if we take more responsibility on ourselves to be sure our requests and needs are clearly understood.

There are lots of other guests each steward, bartender, excursion office staff, front office staff person are taking care of. We aren't so important they need to remember each of us and our needs indvidually after one casual, brief mention of what we want.

I mean this in the nicest possible way for all of to think about what we personally should do to assure we have the best possible cruise.

We have to be responsible for our own good time and not expect the dining steward, after being told once, perhaps on the fly, with all sorts of demands being made on him that you are allergic to seafood. It is up to the guest to mention it at every appropriate point and not expect him to remember you can't have shellfish. If your tongue starts to swell and you are in a bad state, if you didn't inquire if what you ordered was in any way likely to have shellfish in around or on it, it was your fault. IMO

If you want ice at a given time each day, mention it to your steward politely the first few days until you are sure he has made note of your preference. To slip it into the conversation when you first meet along with wanting more blankets, towels, water, mini bar emptied and everything else, makes you feel it is now his responsibility and no longer yours but it is still up to you, IMO, to be sure 'he got the message'.

Sometimes the things we view as 'having gone wrong' might not happen if we take more responsibility on ourselves to be sure our requests and needs are clearly understood.

There are lots of other guests each steward, bartender, excursion office staff, front office staff person are taking care of. We aren't so important they need to remember each of us and our needs indvidually after one casual, brief mention of what we want.

I have a difficult enough time placing my health in the hands of MD's, much less in the hands of waiters or stewards etc.

If you have an allergy, it is your responsibility (and in your best interest) to mention it every time.

Smooth sailing...

Excellent post and very good advice.

We tend to leave a note for our room steward if we want ice every day etc. Sometimes, having it in writing along with a verbal request and a thank you makes it easier to remember. We also leave a big "Thank You" with the note!!

Cheers, Denise

I am allergic to shellfish and seafood. I do tell my servers and the DRM on the first day. I do get the next evening menue in advance(at the end of the dinner) and order for the next day, usually it is checked and discussed with both servers and DRM.

If I am served shellfish or seafood after that then yes...it is someone elses fault. I feel that asking if every course is seafood free, every night would impact the flow of service for our table mates.

BTW the only time I have had a problem was in the PG. When I made the reservation I informed them or my allergy, when we arrived I informed them of my allergy, when I ordered I informed them or my allergy and asked for advice on ordering. When I was served the scallop amuse, I again informed them of my allergy and was told that preparing my dinner would take longer since they had to clean the grill for me. Sorry--but after all that I fell that that experience was someone elses fault also.

@sail7seas = very well said and very necessary for folks to be reminded of this. I would also add, if you get handed a lemon on a cruise, make lemonade. Whether you have a good time or not is mostly in your mind and in your attitude. If you're relying on the ship/officers/wait staff/stewards to cater to your every whim and need in order to have a good time, then you're taking the wrong vacation. You need to have your own yacht and staff who will jump when you snap your fingers. As has been said before, the worst day cruising is still better than the best day at home (or work).

It is funny. I am allergic to shell fish and I have never had a problem. I just don't order anything with shell fish in it. I must admit I am not a big fish eater though I will eat cod or walleye pick or sea bass but that is about it. Oh, orange ruffy isn't too bad either.

But with my heart history and diabetes, I am to avoid sauces of all kinds.

I think the point of Sail Seven Seas observation is quite valid. There are some people who just claim they are never to blame for anything. It is not limited to cruising. There are those that are that way with everything in life.

Well, nothing is ever MY fault! ;) :D ;)

JOKE, people, it's a joke.

Seriously, Sail7Seas, you make a very good point. So many problems would be avoided if people would do a little "homework" in advance and then be more proactive once they're on board. If you wait for someone to read your mind, you're likely to be disappointed.

I was impressed with how HAL deals with allergies and other dietary problems by giving pax dinner menus in advance. On our Veendam cruise last year, a woman with celiac disease talked to the maitre d' for at least 10 minutes, going over the next day's menu. She was very worried, and determined to make sure that nothing would go wrong.

Thank You !!

We are just getting ready for our first cruise and I hope everyone going with us has read this. I hope we always follow this advice but it never hurts to be reminded.

I am allergic to shellfish and seafood. I do tell my servers and the DRM on the first day. I do get the next evening menue in advance(at the end of the dinner) and order for the next day, usually it is checked and discussed with both servers and DRM.

If I am served shellfish or seafood after that then yes...it is someone elses fault. I feel that asking if every course is seafood free, every night would impact the flow of service for our table mates.

Agreed. Their fault for serving it if you discussed it and made your selection the night before. Disagree that fear of impacting the flow of service for your table mates overrides your responsibility for your health. Never heard anyone ever complain about such a thing. I'm related to a couple of people with similar allergies and they always ask if in doubt. In two cases, their lives could depend on it, as anaphylactic shock is more than a remote possibility.

BTW the only time I have had a problem was in the PG. When I made the reservation I informed them or my allergy, when we arrived I informed them of my allergy, when I ordered I informed them or my allergy and asked for advice on ordering. When I was served the scallop amuse, I again informed them of my allergy and was told that preparing my dinner would take longer since they had to clean the grill for me. Sorry--but after all that I fell that that experience was someone elses fault also.
Hope you brought this to the attention of higher-ups. I'm not so sure that being told that there would be a delay in service due to need for cleaning the grill is a bad thing. If it were me, I'd appreciate the explanation. Depends on how it is said, I imagine.

I agree that we need to take things into our own hands. However that said. Those in the service industry are in the business of customer service and should give great service. We pay for our cruise and we tip come good or bad service cause it's an auto charge and if we tip only the ones we believe did good they get punished by giving up those tips. I tip for extra good service. I can say this as I am in the customer service business myself we should expect great care on these crushes by all of the cruise team. They should pay attention to details and the little things so we don't have worry over and over again.

Now I am not talking about an allergy thing as I to have one a if I order something I tell them what I can't have. But as to ice or getting food right the first time we should get them by just asking once.

Sorry I believe over the years customer service in all areas has gone way down hil and things like auto tips make it ok.

Great cutover service is what will keep someone coming back

that both the cabin and ding room stewards will make note of any preferences and act to please the passengers. I really have never had a problen on a HAL ship unless I asked for something out of their time schedule or perview. I have rally been impressed with the s ervice on board and their desire to please.

I agree we need to take responsibility for our own safety and enjoyment.

I have noticed that when doing our check-in on line that there is a place for any dietary requests. I would think that if you do have an allergy you would tell them this before hand and then when you get aboard ship check with the DRM to see that they received it.

Anyway, keep an open mind and attitude and have a wonderful cruise where ever and when ever you (anyone) go.

Helen

I always bring sticky notes and print out what I'd like (ice, more towels) and leave it where it will be easily seen by the room steward.

I know English isn't their first language so I don't make it overly wordy nor complicated. The room steward isn't my personal butler with only my cabin to take care of, let's make life easier for him (them).

yes, we do have to be responsible for ourselves. i don't eat fish or seafood, either. if in doubt, i ask about the ingrediants. fixed menus, like the amuse booche in the pinnacle are a problem. they shouldn't have brought it out but i would've just not eaten it.

i was having lunch at a restaruant in viet nam - a bus tour with lunch included. now i know they eat a lot of fish & shellfish, so i had a big breakfast, expecting not to have much for lunch. i didn't say anything at the restaurant. the server noticed i wasn't eating much and asked why. i told him i didn't eat fish/shellfish. he came back with several other vege and meat dishes. so many i had to ask them to stop. it was one of the best tour bus lunches i ever had.

Being on the "other side of the fence" as an innkeeper, it definitely is the responsibility of the guest to inform the DRM of any food allergies. Interestingly enough, the BOH here now requires htat we take an on-line course in food allergies to become "certified" and it was quite interesting.

We don't have to worry much as we're only allowed to serve continental breakfast, and I make sure that I don't bake with nuts...and that I always have gluten-free bread in the freezer...just in case. I've not been asked for it yet...in 18 years!

As a HAL pax, I always ask for a low sodium diet, and am given the MDR menu the evening prior...it works out well. The only exception I allow myself is the escargot that is NOT the low sodium version! ;)

I'm happy most see I am only reminding that we need to take personal responsibility, not only with dining choices but in all things. Sometimes things that we perceive should have been done better might have been done better had we taken more personal responsibility.

We can't always find someone else to blame. Sometimes the blame is our own.

HERE!! HERE!! Could not agree more!!!!!!!

Joanie

Most people who have traveled ALOT (I used to fly every week on my job) soon discover the many things that can and do go wrong. I probably overplan our vacations, but I also seem to have fewer problems that way. Is it more work for me - of course, but then again I would rather worry about it now than have to deal with a problem on the vacation.

Plus, I find than planning ahead allows us to get alot more out of a trip - lets us find and do alot of the little things that others commonly miss out on.

My advice - plan and think ahead and prepare for potential problems. Things normally will go alot better if you do.

DaveOKC

I'm happy most see I am only reminding that we need to take personal responsibility, not only with dining choices but in all things. Sometimes things that we perceive should have been done better might have been done better had we taken more personal responsibility.

We can't always find someone else to blame. Sometimes the blame is our own.

When you think about it, who is the person who can take the best care of you? YOU! And personal responsibility is so empowering.

There is a saying I like to keep in mind - the 10 most important 2 letter words in the world: if it is to be, it is up to me.

Great reminders and very good points Sail. I totally agree. How good your cruise is often depends upon YOU. If you have a problem, address it nicely.

And, if it's something you can take care of, just do it. (ie. you want ice at 3pm it doesn't come one day, just call and order it or find the ice and get it).

I am always amazed by some people who report a problem but still a great time with amazing attitudes and others who fret over things that happened and can't get over it and let it ruin their vacation.

the glass is either half full or half empty - I prefer half full:D

Archived