Marina Dining Menus

DeejayCruiser

DW & I are booked on Marina 1/03/12 (new to Oceania but have previously sailed RCCL, Celebrity & Azamara).

I am looking for the following:

1. menus from Marina's MDR, in addition to the sample menu on the Oceania website;

2. Marina's Room Service menu; and

3. hours of operation for Marina's Terrace Cafe (in particular, if it is open for late afternoon "snacks" as an alternative to "Afternoon Tea" in Horizon).

I suspect that these issues have been dealt with in other threads but I can't seem to find them using the search function.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Don't have those menus; Terrace Cafe closes at 2 PM, re opens at 6:30 PM. Waves Grill, which has good lunch food is open until 4 PM. As you noted, other than tea and room service there is a gap in the late afternoon in the restaurant service but it was not a problem for us.

As noted Waves is open later they have burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches & some salads also ice cream & milkshakes

Also Barristas have little bite size sandwiches & cookies 6:30am to 6:30 pm

Room service is always an option

someone post menus at

http://www.1mpages.com/cruise/OceaniaMarinaMenu.html

They are subject to change so may not be the same for your cruise

DW & I are booked on Marina 1/03/12 (new to Oceania but have previously sailed RCCL, Celebrity & Azamara).

I am looking for the following:

1. menus from Marina's MDR, in addition to the sample menu on the Oceania website;

Many thanks.

FWIW, we ate very rarely in the MDR - no more than 4 or 5 times in 50 days.

We enjoyed all the specialty restaurants (we were able to get about twice the minimum allowed reservations) and most other nights we ate in the Terrace Cafe. It is more casual, at your pace and endless choices to chose from (much more than in the MDR). Where ever you decide to eat, chances are you will be pleased.

The Terrace Cafe on the Marina is excellent at night, much better than on the R ships. I too avoided the MDR on the Marina as much as possible (twice in 19 days) as I found it too large, too uncoordinated and the pace too slow. Like Paul, I ate mostly in the specialty restaurants. I found being assertive important in getting extra reservations. Plus I like to eat later which made it a bit easier.

?... I found being assertive important in getting extra reservations. ...

Can you please define or explain what you mean by "being assertive" in this context? Just curious as I've had little to no success in getting additional reservations on the R ships despite claims by several on this board that they are usually there to be had. I have always been very flexible with times even saying I'll be happy with any time available, but it seems I always get "we're fully booked" as a response. I've inquired about wait lists and was told I would be contacted if anything came available but have never been called. Interested in knowing what I'm doing wrong.

Can you please define or explain what you mean by "being assertive" in this context? Just curious as I've had little to no success in getting additional reservations on the R ships despite claims by several on this board that they are usually there to be had. I have always been very flexible with times even saying I'll be happy with any time available, but it seems I always get "we're fully booked" as a response. I've inquired about wait lists and was told I would be contacted if anything came available but have never been called. Interested in knowing what I'm doing wrong.

It all boils down to:

Timing

Initiative

Perseverance

;)

It all boils down to:

Timing

Initiative

Perseverance

;)

and a little bit of good luck never hurts......:)

We usually dined early at a table for two. We also had a B2B(almost)2B cruise and staff got to know us better - perhaps that helped a bit as well?

It all boils down to:

Timing

Initiative

Perseverance

;)

If I may ask, what would be a reasonable amount to TIP to get those extra reservations and who should they be given to?

I'm with Lynn. Never have had to tip to get Service on Oceania. A smile and an expressed willingness to be flexible have always sufficed. Perhaps "assertive" is a way of expressing how much one desires the reservation? I've found that staff will go a long way to satisfy expressed desire.

It all boils down to catching more flies with honey -- and the honey does not have to be money.

This is probably the only subject on which my very best cruise friend, Jim, and I disagree (amicably).

It all boils down to catching more flies with honey -- and the honey does not have to be money.

This is probably the only subject on which my very best cruise friend, Jim, and I disagree (amicably).

I agree with Don on both counts;)

I would hate to see the "bribery brigade" start on Oceania :rolleyes:

Lyn

I just ended my Marina cruise on Saturday in Copenhagen. My boyfriend and I got two extra meals at the specialty restaurants simply by asking the dinner reservation agent on Deck 5. I checked in with her one week before the cruise ended. It's always the same girl at the desk, so she will get to know you.

I could see her computer screen-- most of the reservation times were fully booked.

I never saw money exchange hands, and would hate to think that a monetary tip would sway a reservation.

One inconsistency I noticed, which makes no sense to me, is that three days after I booked our additional dinner reservations, another couple said they had tried to get additional reservations but were told they weren't booking "that far ahead of time".

This was my second Oceania cruise, and clearly I am not asking often enough. We met someone who told us that of 16 nights, they ate in specialty restaurants 9 times!

This was my second Oceania cruise, and clearly I am not asking often enough. We met someone who told us that of 16 nights, they ate in specialty restaurants 9 times!

If they stayed in one of the suites they would have been legitimately entitled to 8 reservations and thus would have needed just one extra to make it 9.

On the Marina maiden voyage we ate in the MDR 3x, Terrace Cafe once, and the rest of the time in the specialty restaurants. We do eat early (6:30) so that might have had something to do with the availability.

Money was NOT involved. We agree with Don on this one.

I was in a PH, did not tip my butler until the end of the cruise (I always wait to tip until the end since he is already getting $10 a day or $190 for this last cruise, to see what the service is like.) But the first thing I did every morning was to call my butler into the suite and ask him to check on reservations for that night and to see what he could do to make sure I got one. Most nights he was able to come through. Some he wasn't and those are the nights I ate in the MDR or Tapas. I underscored to him on the first day that this was really the only thing I expected of him, I couldn't care less about canapes. I also made sure to befriend the maitre d's in all four restaurants so that if I stopped by on my own to see if a table was available they would be accommodating. That worked one night in Jacques. Of course, I like to eat at 8 or 8:15 so by then the room is less crowded. I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't just ask once and take that answer as final.

Wow! That is an amazing compliment, and totally reciprocated.

As soon as you return from Alaska, we need to get in gear about the Riviera Maiden Voyage. :)

I just got off the Marina from a 16 day cruise ending in Copenhagen. We ate in the specialty dining rooms 6 times and could have gotten more reservations if we wanted. You just go to deck 5 and ask the reservation lady if any reservations are availablke. There is no need to be assertive or to tip. We always ate at a table for two and we eat late so it was not a problem. The ship was full and many guests were able to get multiple reservations at the specialty restaurants. I believe that the more port intensive the cruise the better your chances for reservations since many guests do not return to the ship until later.

I just got off the Marina from a 16 day cruise ending in Copenhagen. We ate in the specialty dining rooms 6 times and could have gotten more reservations if we wanted. You just go to deck 5 and ask the reservation lady if any reservations are availablke. There is no need to be assertive or to tip. We always ate at a table for two and we eat late so it was not a problem. The ship was full and many guests were able to get multiple reservations at the specialty restaurants. I believe that the more port intensive the cruise the better your chances for reservations since many guests do not return to the ship until later.

Terrieri,Are the tables for two in the speciality restaurants private?

Depends on the specialty restaurant. Red Ginger had the twos along the wall in a bench style as well as in the middle of the dining area. The bench style twos are less private. In Jacques they were all private tables as were Polo and Toscana.

FYI - The sea bass in Red Ginger is great and they can seat me on the floor for all I care.

Archived