3 HAL Ships / Canada Place Sept 25

Winters in NZ

Our next HAL cruise will be aboard the Zaandam, departing Vancouver, Sept. 25.

Also docked at Canada Place that day will be the Westerdam and the Statendam. Fortunately, we will not be departing from the gritty area of the Ballantyne Pier...assigned to the Norwegian Pearl and the Golden Princess.

Another fortunate aspect of this cruise is that we will not be bused to our next port, as we were last month from Montreal to Quebec City to board the Maasdam. The next port after Vancouver will be Kona...so I trust that I will not be seeing any buses lining up at Canada Place.

With the 3 HAL ships departing from the same location, common sense tells me that perhaps HAL could employ a melded registration area for all 3 ships. But then again, perhaps not.

Any ideas on how this situation might be managed ?

If the beginning of this season was any indication, be prepared for long waits for everything as you are boarding the ship. Pack plenty of patience.

It is going to be a zoo. We learned to get to Vancouver a day early and book a city tour for the morning that includes dropoff at Canada Place at about 1:00 p.m. There might still be a wait, but the worst is over by then. Anytime there are three ships at one pier, we don't want to be the first one there.

It is going to be a zoo. We learned to get to Vancouver a day early and book a city tour for the morning that includes dropoff at Canada Place at about 1:00 p.m. There might still be a wait, but the worst is over by then. Anytime there are three ships at one pier, we don't want to be the first one there.

Good idea..we are staying at the Fairmont Vancouver for 2 nights, and touring around Vancouver the AM of departure is the best option.

A couple of years back, we took a Norwegian cruise out of Manhattan. We were one of the first to arrive...it was the ONLY ship at the terminal. It was indeed quite frustrating to wait from 11 AM until 2:30 PM to step foot aboard the gangway.

Each ship has to do their own check-in as the ships

operate independently of each other.

JC

I'm wondering if the number of USA Homeland Security personnel is increased when 3 ships are at Canada Place heading for American ports.

The Ballantyne pier will have its own contingent, and there is also the group that works at YVR, the Airport.

Do more US agents come into Vancouver for these types of situations ? It seems like the Border Protection folks might need some reinforcements on Sept. 25.

Or as previously stated, we may indeed be in for a long wait that day.

So much for anticipation of the Mariners Lunch upon embarkation.

I'm wondering if the number of USA Homeland Security personnel is increased when 3 ships are at Canada Place heading for American ports.

The Ballantyne pier will have its own contingent, and there is also the group that works at YVR, the Airport.

Do more US agents come into Vancouver for these types of situations ? It seems like the Border Protection folks might need some reinforcements on Sept. 25.

Or as previously stated, we may indeed be in for a long wait that day.

So much for anticipation of the Mariners Lunch upon embarkation.

From reading all the reports from the beginning of the season, US customs was not the issue. It was areas that were in the control of the cruiselines that seemed to be the problems.

When you have three ships at the same pier in one day, one does not encounter 'the problem', there are a whole series of snags and problems. We still have the same capacity streets, roads and drive ways serving three ships at one pier that otherwise might serve one.

The Canada Place facility works very well with two ships, and with only one ship, we really zip through. Actually the facility can handle up to four, but the works get a bit conjested.

Let me tell everyone departing from Canada Place when there is more than one ship...it is a nightmare.

Honestly this pier was not built for cruise ships and it's very obvious. I have cruised from all the major

ports in the U.S. and many more in Europe and Canada Place takes top prize for the absolute worst.

I will avoid it at all cost in the future. With three ships like what we experienced I would stay

far away until the last possible second to board.

I boarded at Canada Place last September, on the last cruise for the Ryndam. There were 3 ships in port. I actually got there early - around 10/10:30, and the wait was long, but not miserable. I was fairly near the front of the line, they got us through reasonably quickly, and then we were seated in a large waiting hall until the ship was cleared.

I love the Mariner's luncheon, and a chance to have my first bloody mary after I board the ship, so it was all worthwhile for me!

As a Vancouverite who's cruised out of Canada Place many times, including the dreaded "busiest day of the year" like you, the best advice I can give you is this:

Patience.

It's going to be nuts. It won't matter if you arrive at 11am or 2pm - it will be crazy. Plan on at least 90 minutes from the time you enter the terminal until you're on the ship, and you should be fine.

Archived