Victoria Shuttle

I see that Princess has a shuttle to take you into town and back. Does anyone know where it drops you off at in town? I looked at a map and it doesn't seem like it's all that far from the ship to the Empress Hotel, maybe a mile? Did anyone think that the shuttle wasn't worth getting?

I used to live in Victoria and can only add that it isn't really that far... it is absolutely walkable, if you are pondering that. It's a beautiful walk at that, along Dallas Road part of the way. Perhaps you could take the shuttle one way and walk the other way. How much is the shuttle? Is it per person? I can't see a cab being more than 5 or 6 bucks for a party of 4.

I used to live in Victoria and can only add that it isn't really that far... it is absolutely walkable, if you are pondering that. It's a beautiful walk at that, along Dallas Road part of the way. Perhaps you could take the shuttle one way and walk the other way. How much is the shuttle? Is it per person? I can't see a cab being more than 5 or 6 bucks for a party of 4.

Exactly, the shuttle way overpriced at $7 or $7.50, the city bus (which will take you anywhere, well beyond downtown if you want) is only $2.50 ea way, and a taxi will be under $10 for up to for people.

Plus it's a lovely walk.

Yes. Oh I miss Victoria sometimes! We lived in an apartment in James Bay that had a view of the ocean. *sigh* Brings back memories. :) But I can relive it using Google Earth street view. :D

I know exactly what you mean. I lived on Superior..

I wish I would've known that we could walk or take a taxi before our trip. The shuttle was $7.50/per person round trip.There was no air conditioning and it had to be at least 100 degrees on the bus on the way into town. I just followed the crowd and took the bus. This was the only port that I didn't research ahead:rolleyes:.

I wish I would've known that we could walk or take a taxi before our trip. The shuttle was $7.50/per person round trip.There was no air conditioning and it had to be at least 100 degrees on the bus on the way into town. I just followed the crowd and took the bus. This was the only port that I didn't research ahead:rolleyes:.

"Cruise Line Shuttle" is almost always a phrase that means "Vastly Overpriced".

Scott - while I might agree that the Cruise shuttle is vastly overpriced do you really expect us to beleive that the real cost of a bus ride is only $2.50 per person - don`t some of our tax $$$ go for public transit - probably at least half of the operational costs are picked up by the general public - remember all those new trolleys in Vancouver - weren`t they about $1 million each - who paid for them - So when something is run by the private sector and it costs more than the public sector let`s remember the hidden subsidies.

Hope the OP enjoys their visit to Victoria and regardless of method of transportation enjoy the sights and sounds of the Inner City.

Cheers

Dennis

Scott - while I might agree that the Cruise shuttle is vastly overpriced do you really expect us to beleive that the real cost of a bus ride is only $2.50 per person - don`t some of our tax $$$ go for public transit - probably at least half of the operational costs are picked up by the general public - remember all those new trolleys in Vancouver - weren`t they about $1 million each - who paid for them - So when something is run by the private sector and it costs more than the public sector let`s remember the hidden subsidies.

Hope the OP enjoys their visit to Victoria and regardless of method of transportation enjoy the sights and sounds of the Inner City.

You're quite right, the seat-km bus cost to carry a tourist the 1½km from Ogden Point to downtown is probably much much less than $2.50 flat rate; given the average ride length on BC Transit is going to be a lot longer (probably closer to 6 km). If you'd like the full numbers, I'm sure if you drop Manny a line at BC Transit, I'm sure he can get you the full details w/o having to submit an FOI request. From a quick looksie of the BC Transit website; the cost per hour per bus is $93.68. Now take a ½ full bus (say 25 people which is well less than ½) on a 15min ride (I think it's less than that, but it makes for easy math), and that's just under 94 cents/person. ($93.68/25/4)

When the (private) shuttle bus costs more than a (private) taxi carrying three people, I think it's pretty obvious that the bus/shuttle is making a small fortune.

So if the buses are paying for themselves just what is the Government doing giving BC Transit money to run the transit system in the various cities across the province.

Anyways dont want this thread to go poof so that is all I intend to post on the subject.

Can we agree on !! GO CANUCKS GO !!

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
So if the buses are paying for themselves just what is the Government doing giving BC Transit money to run the transit system in the various cities across the province.

1) I pointed out and backed up with numbers from BC Transit themselves; that on the relatively short trip between Ogden Point and downtown, the bus system does not lose out. On longer trips, I'm sure they do, and I'm quite sure the average ride in the transit system as a whole is much longer than the 1.5km from Ogden Point to downtown.

2) Governments subsidize transit because it's cheaper than building (subsidizing) more roads/parking/infrastructure.

While it is clear the Scottbee has a bee in his or her bonnet about using transit to get in and out of town from the cruise ship dock, please be aware that with the recent schedule adjustments, the transit bus runs once every 40-50 minutes!! On a short cruise stop, sitting on a transit bus stop bench for that length of time would be very frustrating, especially seeing a shuttle bus go by every 4-7 minutes. All that waiting to save just $2.50!!! If money is that tight, I don't think you should be on a cruise ship.

Walking is quick, safe flat and easy. If you get tired or if the rain starts, there are hundreds of taxis available in front of the Empress for the 5 minute ride, $10-$12 per cab per trip.

I am one of those folks that have taken the transit bus, walked, taken the shuttle and taken a cab in Victoria to/from the cruise terminal. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. The one thing I have enjoyed with transit is seeing some of the homes and gardens in Victoria but if I was in Victoria for a short period in the evening I would spring for the extra few dollars and take the shuttle rather than wait for transit.

While it is clear the Scottbee has a bee in his or her bonnet about using transit to get in and out of town from the cruise ship dock, please be aware that with the recent schedule adjustments, the transit bus runs once every 40-50 minutes!! On a short cruise stop, sitting on a transit bus stop bench for that length of time would be very frustrating, especially seeing a shuttle bus go by every 4-7 minutes. All that waiting to save just $2.50!!! If money is that tight, I don't think you should be on a cruise ship.

Walking is quick, safe flat and easy. If you get tired or if the rain starts, there are hundreds of taxis available in front of the Empress for the 5 minute ride, $10-$12 per cab per trip.

I've often suggested walking, it's not far, I've suggested taxis. I've just said the shuttle is poor value, only slightly cheaper than a taxi.

As for the bus schedule; these are the bus numbers and times the bus leaves Erie & Dallas Rd (Odgen pt is about 2 minutes after these times)

Weekdays evenings;

#31 18:12

#31 18:32

#31 18:55

#30 19:08

#31 19:19

#30 19:33

#31 19:50

#30 20:10

#31 20:26

#30 20:47

#31 21:06

#30 21:27

#31 21:46

#30 22:13

#31 22:41

#30 23:14

#31 23:44

certainly much more frequently than the 40-50 minutes YYJGUY is implying.

Just a point of clarification, walking from Ogden Point to downtown Victoria is free, obviously healthy and very green, however this how other means of transportation layout for 2 adult persons:

CVS Cruise Victoria Shuttle @ $7.50 pp $15.00

Transit $2.50 pp each way $10.00

Taxi $10.00 each way $20.00 (plus tips)

Having just spent many thousands of dollars on my Alaskan cruise vacation the difference is hardly worth thinking about...in fact it will hardy even buy a drink on the ship...but I will let others choose what they want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another thought. Walk, keeping as close to the water as you can, and you will see Fisherman's Wharf, which is a fun stop. You can have great fish and chips at Barbara's there. The mini-ferries that ply the Inner Harbour stop at Fisherman's Wharf. Jump aboard and take the ferry to the Inner Harbor, which is right across the street from the Empress.

It's your vacation. Do something different!

Archived