Ruby Princess Grand Med - Just got back - Questions?

zenworks911

Just got back from a 12 Day Ruby Princess Venice-Barcelona cruise (May 28-June 9). Will post review later but for now if anyone has any questions about the trip I will try and answer them. Overall 9/10.:)

We are on Ruby for 30 days, from Oct 7, as per my signature. Look forward to your review, good to see you rated Ruby 9/10.

Entertainment?

Food?

Service?

Thanks

Hi Zen,

Doing this cruise July 3, 2011. Did the specialty restaurants require formal dress on formal nights? Secondly, do you recall how early the ship cleared and you were able to get off in Civi? I'm trying to figure out how early we can catch the train to maximize our DIY in Rome.

I'm glad you had a great cruise--feel free to share any tips or lessons learned.

Thank you.

We are on the reverse itinerary in Sept and we have independant tours booked in most ports but planning on DIY in Monacco, Mykonos and with our pre cruise stay in Barcelona and post stay in Venice.

Interested to know if you did DIY in any of the above ports and what you would reccomend or avoid.

We have all kinds of advice but should maybe wait for the full review. Some items off the top of my head that are biggies are in Mykonos, there really aren't taxi's available unless you book with them ahead of time. I am not joking. There is plenty of shopping to do and things to see in the small port town however if that is to your liking. Monacco is easy to do on your own and is a very small port. We loved the castle/park/garden right next to the cruise port. The shopping was pretty bad unless you like racing trinkets. Lots of steps to get up to old Monacco but worth it. Venice is incredible and was our favorite port if you enjoy walking. Get the Rough Rider Waterproof Venice Map to keep from getting lost. Amazon.com has them. Barcelona we did on our own and it was ok. Will have to think about that one. We will be more detailed in our review.

We are on the reverse itinerary in Sept and we have independant tours booked in most ports but planning on DIY in Monacco, Mykonos and with our pre cruise stay in Barcelona and post stay in Venice.

Interested to know if you did DIY in any of the above ports and what you would reccomend or avoid.

There was not a hypnotist. There was a decent magician and a terrible comedian however. We only made about 1/2 the shows because we were so tired from touring.

Only one question from me. was there a Hypmotist show, been a few years since i have seen my wife milk Betsy the Cow:)

I didn't do any specialty restaurants but from our patter it appears you would not be required to dress in formals. It says "...if you choose to dine in Sabatini or Crown Grill, please be reminded that shorts, tank tops and baseball caps are not permitted."

I think i n Civitavecchia that the first shuttle left the ship at 7:30am and took you to the port gate. From the port gate in the patter it says it is a 10 minute walk to the train station. There are not taxis by the ship pier side. I would recommend going with a private tour here such as Rome Connection. You need about 6 people to make it worthwhile money wise, but it was really nice. They will meet you right at the ship because they have special passes to get through the gate.

Hi Zen,

Doing this cruise July 3, 2011. Did the specialty restaurants require formal dress on formal nights? Secondly, do you recall how early the ship cleared and you were able to get off in Civi? I'm trying to figure out how early we can catch the train to maximize our DIY in Rome.

I'm glad you had a great cruise--feel free to share any tips or lessons learned.

Thank you.

Thanks for the input. Awaiting to see more info on Barcelona in your full review.

We have all kinds of advice but should maybe wait for the full review. Some items off the top of my head that are biggies are in Mykonos, there really aren't taxi's available unless you book with them ahead of time. I am not joking. There is plenty of shopping to do and things to see in the small port town however if that is to your liking. Monacco is easy to do on your own and is a very small port. We loved the castle/park/garden right next to the cruise port. The shopping was pretty bad unless you like racing trinkets. Lots of steps to get up to old Monacco but worth it. Venice is incredible and was our favorite port if you enjoy walking. Get the Rough Rider Waterproof Venice Map to keep from getting lost. Amazon.com has them. Barcelona we did on our own and it was ok. Will have to think about that one. We will be more detailed in our review.

We did this trip last Sept/Oct and the best advice I got was for the stairs in Monaco. When the ship docks, don't walk up the stairs on the rock. Stay along the seawall and keep walking. Around the other side there is a parking lot and inside escalator/elevator that lets you out on the level with the Oceanographic Institute. Much easier.

We did this trip last Sept/Oct and the best advice I got was for the stairs in Monaco. When the ship docks, don't walk up the stairs on the rock. Stay along the seawall and keep walking. Around the other side there is a parking lot and inside escalator/elevator that lets you out on the level with the Oceanographic Institute. Much easier.

you read my mind...thanks

I parked in this lot back in 1985 when I was more daring..ie. no kids to worry about...and vividly remember that elevator...glad it is still there.

FWIW...driving down that steep hill and winding road into Monte Carlo didn't faze me at all back then...now I will pay handsomely for someone else to do it!:D

Just got back from a 12 Day Ruby Princess Venice-Barcelona cruise (May 28-June 9). Will post review later but for now if anyone has any questions about the trip I will try and answer them. Overall 9/10.:)

What time did the coffee bar by the Int'l Cafe open every morning? Do you know if they had a coffee bar outside the HC in the morning? Opening times seem to vary from ship to ship. We'll be on the Ruby in the fall. Thanks.

I will have to refer to the Princess Patters. I didn't use the coffee bar much. I think the hours were listed in the Patter newsletter though. I don't recall seeing a coffee bar outside Horizon Court at all in the morning, just staff selling water bottles.

What time did the coffee bar by the Int'l Cafe open every morning? Do you know if they had a coffee bar outside the HC in the morning? Opening times seem to vary from ship to ship. We'll be on the Ruby in the fall. Thanks.

I just checked my Princess Patters and the IC hours were listed as 6am-midnight for our trip.

Hi There

IC is open 7.00am to 11.00pm

however staff there out side those hours might serve you if they know you,

yours Shogun

True enough. After a decent tip one day, I was able to get coffee around 0530 each day.....:):):)

Bob

What are the hours for the athletic center on board? I have the best intentions going into my cruise that I will keep up with my workout regime, but if the hours don't work with my schedule... well darn, I guess there's nothing I can do about it. :)

I will have to check the Patter again when I get home. I used the fitness center about 3 times and it was pretty nice in my opinion for a cruise ship. They had dumbbells up to 60lbs and lots of cardio machines and strength training machines. It was a really nice mix and good smooth quality on the strength machines.

zenworks911

What are the hours for the athletic center on board? I have the best intentions going into my cruise that I will keep up with my workout regime, but if the hours don't work with my schedule... well darn, I guess there's nothing I can do about it. :)

We went on a princess cruise tour and it was ok. Athens was a zoo though and probably our least favorite port. The Acropolis was wall to wall people and there was construction equipment everywhere. It was worth seeing if you have never seen it before, but it was a zoo and kind of dirty.

I am interested in all the detail of the Athens stop:

Did you or anyone you know use PCL tours? Nope

Private tour drivers? Yes, but can't remember who they used. I might be able to find out.

Used public transportation into and out of Athens?:eek: like trains or subways. I didn't hear of anyone using public transportation.

Any strike issues? There was a strike, no cabs between like noon and 3pm or something like that. I will look at the patter to see what it says.

Safety issues? I didn't hear of any safety concerns.

Thanks

I used my electric kettle a few times to make Via and it worked well. Other times I was lazy though and just went up to Horizon Court and drank the coffee out of the taps up there. They also have hot water 24/7 up there so your really don't even need an electric kettle. Either way, there is coffee, cream and sugar available 24/7 on lido deck if you check the beverage stations for it. A big plus is that they have real cream and milk available. On an MSC cruise I was just on all they had were those creamer thimbles!!!

zenworks911

Thanks everyone. M A Y B E I can wait until 7! Then again, maybe I'll have to bring my teapot and the instant Starbucks since I get up too darn early. One benefit is the internet cafe is empty and things work much faster.

Archived