Caribbean Fly-cruise......how do you pack?

lynnquenby

We are on our first Caribbean Fly-cruise with formal nights in November and I'm interested in how those of you who have taken formal wear on fly-cruises before pack this?

Do you have a separate case/suit carrier or does it all just go in the same case? I only ask as we only have 23kg each (charter flight with P&O) and I'm very aware that my hubby's Tux and some of my formal dresses are not the lightest ;)

Appreciate all your advice.

Lynn

With airling bag weight restrictions we now try to wear some clothing more than once. I'll wear the same pants with a couple different shirts. My DW will try to do the same (she'll say) but really doesn't! She does bring several cocktail dresses which don't weigh much & don't take up much space either. I have got her to cut down on her shoes & bathing suits. If you've got 2 bathing suits, one to wear & one always drying out, that's enough. She feels she needs a different one each day! :eek:

We always mix cases in case one gets lost. We put valubles and heavy stuff in our hand luggage plus a pair of shorts, Tshirt and underwear so that we can change as soon as we get onboard ship. Always make sure you utilise your hand luggage allowance which can be quite significant. We usually pack the formal wear first, check our weights and then top up with the casual stuff. Some things you can get away with wearing twice or you can just have things laundered on ship. We find crocks have been a real advantage for us as we can wear them around the ship and for walking about on shore.

Don't forget the laundry service.

Usualy much cheaper than at home so a good way to get some gear cleaned.

or pressed so you don't have to think too hard about packing carefully.

I just put the formal shirts in on day one every cruise we take them and the suit goes in after probably 5+ cruise depending on how it looks.

I take a long black sleeveless dress for formal nights, and top it with different fancy jackets or tops. The linen shops in St. Thomas and St. Maarten are now selling fancy lace jackets in black, white, gold, silver and combinations that are very attractive and lightweight. I have gotten them for $29. I have also used pullover lace or fancy tops with the dress.

You may find the dining rooms and theatre cool to cold - and having jackets or shawls (or pashminas) very handy.

Wear or carry your coats/jackets on the plane.

Bring easy to wash and dry tops for casual wear. Tops you wear for dinner on casual night can be worn again the next day for excursions. So many nights are now casual wear. When we first started cruising in the 70's we wore a formal dress every night!

You should be able to limit your swimsuits to 3 - I'm always in the pool or on the beach - and three will work for 7 days. Don't forget lightweight beach covers - the sun is brutal there. St. Maarten has a great outlet store called Rima's two blocks further away from the main street shopping with great and reasonable beach covers and casual wear.

On two week cruises this has helped keep the weight down!

Don't forget chapstick with sun screen for your lips!

Chris

Hi Lynn.

Your luggage allowance isn't 23kg.

My o/h, who made the arrangements, was quite adamant that the luggage allowance was 40kg for ladies and 6kg for men. :rolleyes:

This allowed her to pack the 2 dozen pairs of shoes that were apparently so essential. :rolleyes:

On a more practical note:

put up with being inadeqately-dressed for travel to/from your UK airport, you will not need heavy clothes in the Caribbean - guaranteed.

But do take a lightweight waterproof, there are frequent warm showers.

ladies do seem to have a way of getting different styles out of the same basic outfit with a selection of matching accessories - scarves, belts, etc.

Hang stuff in the bathroom with the shower running to help get rid of travel creases.

Have a casual change of clothes, mebbe even swim gear, in your carry-on. The transfer in Barbados is quick, easy & seamless (no immigration, no luggage carousel, you don't even go into the terminal - your aircraft taxi's to the perimeter road & you walk mebbe 10 yards from aircraft to transfer bus). Also significantly reduces the chance of your luggage going AWOL, since all luggage on that flight goes to the ship. But this means you arrive well before your luggage, which will be outside your cabin mebbe 2 hours later.

Check the aircraft carry-on weight limit with P&0 - not with the airline -the limit varies according to the airline/cruiseline contract.

And if you reckon you'll be overweight, check whether overweight is permitted, because on many charter flights the limit is the limit, with no option to pay for excess luggage.

Great itinerary, have a great time.

John Bull :)

Don't forget that Ventura has FREE launderettes on most decks- I take washing tablets, and use the machines for a wash in the middle of the cruise. This really helps when planning packing- we've just had 17 nights on Ventura, and evening shirts took very little time in those industrial washers- about 30 mins.

I have a fleece cape for winter travel- it's not all that warm, but it's better than lugging an anorak all round the Caribbean, as it rolls up small, and is handy as a pillow on the flight!

Have a great cruise! :)

Jo.

I take a long black sleeveless dress for formal nights, and top it with different fancy jackets or tops. The linen shops in St. Thomas and St. Maarten are now selling fancy lace jackets in black, white, gold, silver and combinations that are very attractive and lightweight. I have gotten them for $29. I have also used pullover lace or fancy tops with the dress.

You may find the dining rooms and theatre cool to cold - and having jackets or shawls (or pashminas) very handy.

Wear or carry your coats/jackets on the plane.

Bring easy to wash and dry tops for casual wear. Tops you wear for dinner on casual night can be worn again the next day for excursions. So many nights are now casual wear. When we first started cruising in the 70's we wore a formal dress every night!

You should be able to limit your swimsuits to 3 - I'm always in the pool or on the beach - and three will work for 7 days. Don't forget lightweight beach covers - the sun is brutal there. St. Maarten has a great outlet store called Rima's two blocks further away from the main street shopping with great and reasonable beach covers and casual wear.

On two week cruises this has helped keep the weight down!

Don't forget chapstick with sun screen for your lips!

Chris

Thanks Chris all great advice!

Hi Lynn.

Your luggage allowance isn't 23kg.

My o/h, who made the arrangements, was quite adamant that the luggage allowance was 40kg for ladies and 6kg for men. :rolleyes:

This allowed her to pack the 2 dozen pairs of shoes that were apparently so essential. :rolleyes:

On a more practical note:

put up with being inadeqately-dressed for travel to/from your UK airport, you will not need heavy clothes in the Caribbean - guaranteed.

But do take a lightweight waterproof, there are frequent warm showers.

ladies do seem to have a way of getting different styles out of the same basic outfit with a selection of matching accessories - scarves, belts, etc.

Hang stuff in the bathroom with the shower running to help get rid of travel creases.

Have a casual change of clothes, mebbe even swim gear, in your carry-on. The transfer in Barbados is quick, easy & seamless (no immigration, no luggage carousel, you don't even go into the terminal - your aircraft taxi's to the perimeter road & you walk mebbe 10 yards from aircraft to transfer bus). Also significantly reduces the chance of your luggage going AWOL, since all luggage on that flight goes to the ship. But this means you arrive well before your luggage, which will be outside your cabin mebbe 2 hours later.

Check the aircraft carry-on weight limit with P&0 - not with the airline -the limit varies according to the airline/cruiseline contract.

And if you reckon you'll be overweight, check whether overweight is permitted, because on many charter flights the limit is the limit, with no option to pay for excess luggage.

Great itinerary, have a great time.

John Bull :)

When I started to read your reply I worried I'd misread the flight info - reckon my hubby feels the same as you!! ;) All really good advice, thanks, there are a couple of points I wouldn't have thought of!

Don't forget that Ventura has FREE launderettes on most decks- I take washing tablets, and use the machines for a wash in the middle of the cruise. This really helps when planning packing- we've just had 17 nights on Ventura, and evening shirts took very little time in those industrial washers- about 30 mins.

I have a fleece cape for winter travel- it's not all that warm, but it's better than lugging an anorak all round the Caribbean, as it rolls up small, and is handy as a pillow on the flight!

Have a great cruise! :)

Jo.

Thanks Jo, this was something I had on my list to check so good to know launderettes are free , not that I want to spend my entire holdifay in there though and definitely won't be sending my DH - heavens knows how everything would come back :eek:

thanks All - appreciate the time you have taken to provide answers/advice.

Lynn

Hi there - be VERY CAREFUL if the flight is by Thomsons. Last December when we travelled to Barbados (for Azura) check- in staff weighed carry-on luggage with hold baggage and if you were even slightly over 28 kgs (23 hold, 5 carry-on) they charged and not pennies either! As the Azura was cruising for 28 nights, there were many unhappy people! No such problem on the way home - hold luggage goes straight to homeward bound aircraft and hand luggage is only searched at airport.

June Reid

It is also worth remembering the P&O ships have shops that sell dresses. Having taken enough suitable dresses, my OH bought quite a extra few cocktail dresses and evening dresses on our last P&O cruise. So packing for the return trip was "interesting".

Hiya - I have 2 light weight long dressses. The black one I wear twice but with a different jacket/shrug on top and different jewellery. I also take a pair of light weight floaty evening trousers and wear with 2 different tops. It all goes in the one case.

My problem is shoes - as soon as I get on board ship my ankles swell up and sandals is all I can manage thereafter!

Hope you enjoy the Caribbean and your cruise.

Hi there - be VERY CAREFUL if the flight is by Thomsons. Last December when we travelled to Barbados (for Azura) check- in staff weighed carry-on luggage with hold baggage and if you were even slightly over 28 kgs (23 hold, 5 carry-on) they charged and not pennies either! As the Azura was cruising for 28 nights, there were many unhappy people! No such problem on the way home - hold luggage goes straight to homeward bound aircraft and hand luggage is only searched at airport.

June Reid

We encountered this problem once on our return from Majorca after a 20 night Transatlantic on Ocean Village - I was not a happy bunny, so thanks for the reminder, will just have to pack less for my DH :rolleyes:

It is also worth remembering the P&O ships have shops that sell dresses. Having taken enough suitable dresses, my OH bought quite a extra few cocktail dresses and evening dresses on our last P&O cruise. So packing for the return trip was "interesting".

oooh, shopping!!! Better make sure the suitcases are 'expandable'!!! ;)

Hiya - I have 2 light weight long dressses. The black one I wear twice but with a different jacket/shrug on top and different jewellery. I also take a pair of light weight floaty evening trousers and wear with 2 different tops. It all goes in the one case.

My problem is shoes - as soon as I get on board ship my ankles swell up and sandals is all I can manage thereafter!

Hope you enjoy the Caribbean and your cruise.

on the same 20 night cruise I took c15 pairs of shoes!! Might have contributed to the 'excess baggage' issue....oops!

Again, thanks for the helpful advice, it really is appreciated. Whilst we have cruise Caribbean before, it is the 1st time with formal nights and all of this advice is very welcomed!

Lynn

Archived