Missing Muster

Just curious....

Has anyone intentionaly missed the "mandatory" muster drill on the first day.

If so, what happened.

We have been through enough of these that I feel like making sure I know where it is located and avoiding all the formalities.

I guess how would you miss it? You couldnt walk around the ship, the crew will tell you to get to your muster station. The crew in charge of your muster station also has a pax list that they check off your life vest # on, right?

It's a coast guard requirement. Attend and please do go on time so it's over quickly for EVERYONE. To miss it, you would have to find somewhere to "hide" since they will check your stateroom and more then likely they'll require that you go to a make up drill anyway.

Not to mention that whoever misses the muster drill is going to have some very angry fellow passengers that due to an act of gross stupidity and selfishness have to wait, in the hot sun, wrapped up in their life jackets for the whole time that crewmembers are running around looking for the idiot. :mad: Personally, I think any jerk that intentionally hides, should be thrown off the ship without a refund, and then let the passengers throw full beer cans at them from the ship while they're trying to fish their luggage out of the water. :eek:

Stretch

Not to mention that whoever misses the muster drill is going to have some very angry fellow passengers that due to an act of gross stupidity and selfishness have to wait, in the hot sun, wrapped up in their life jackets for the whole time that crewmembers are running around looking for the idiot. :mad: Personally, I think any jerk that intentionally hides, should be thrown off the ship without a refund, and then let the passengers throw full beer cans at them from the ship while they're trying to fish their luggage out of the water. :eek:

Stretch

...but do you have an opinion?

LOL!!!!

Wow ...........

Stretch, I wouldn't want to piss you off! Sounds like you could go "Postal"

I understand the impact better thanks to your input.

I was just curious what others did.

Don't flame me for asking......I won't do it.

I'm to intimidated now.:eek:

Didn't get postal, just emphatically stated my humble opinion. It, as you can see, wasn't directed at anyone personally, but more in a general sense. The bad part is this is very likely to happen (pax intentionally missing muster) over the course of the next month or so with a lot of spring breakers cruising. I isn't any fun standing there sweating when one could be drinking and haveing fun.

Stretch

Hey Stretch...Don't you know that's alcohol abuse? :D :D :D

There are better things to throw at them...

Egad, you're right :eek: , what was I thinking????? But where can you get good sized rocks on a ship? Poopy diapers maybe?? :D

Stretch

Stretch,

Remember, you're still on probation. You calm down now!

Gish

Now early this week you show up and make me look like a nincompoop, but with Stretch you are all reasonable and protective. I guess I know my place now! :p

Women just love a partying tiger!:D

jc

I missed it once, but not really. It was a back to back and they told us we didn't have to go the second week. We just stayed in our cabin until it was over.

Did you know that on HAL the woman and children stand in the front and the men in the back?

Not too sexist.

I can see getting the kids and moms getting off first, but as to the rest, well we all should take our chances.

After all, we do want equality; right ladies?

celtic

We missed the Muster Drill because my son was very sick from the flight. They didnt make a big deal about it and I dont even think they checked our stateroom. We didnt do it intentionally, he was just really ill...

I'm sure they made an exception in your case and they probably knew where you were at. On our first cruise, my youngest was two. After standing in line 2 hours then having to stand still at the muster drill (and was frightened of the life jacket), she started to cry loudly. So we would not be disruptive to the other pax, I asked on of the staff if I could take her back to our cabin and everyone said YES:p. But I would never miss one intentionally! I like Stretch's idea....and I could even throw a few ideas of my own in!:eek:

Not intentionally, but we were called to the office because of my luggage getting dropped in the ocean. As we were there the muster drill started going off, so I asked the gentleman in charge what we should do. He asked us if we had cruised before and I said yes, and he said it wont be a problem just be sure you know where our station is.

And the fact that someone said when you miss the drill it makes it longer for everyone else. I don't belive that. In my previous cruises they would call out a number and if there was no response just move on to the next number. It takes almost as long for someone to respond and for the person in charge to varify that someone called out. When you don't answer they just go on.

On my first cruise at muster drill, the cabin numbers were called and one person was asked to respond with the number of pax in that cabin. The numbers were called and the responses were mostly male voices saying two, three and a couple of 4's. Then came a female voice saying one. In unison about a dozen male voices all said, "What was that number again". Gave us all a good laugh and took the tedium out of standing there in those awful life jackets. :D

Stretch

Stretch,

I totally agree with your idea..lol on our last cruise in our muster station alone we had about 7 cabins of people not present, we all thought it would be a fitting punishment that those people missing would have to buy EVERYONE of us in their muster station a drink at the bar. that's about 200 drinks they would be buying..lol :eek:

I look at the muster drill as yet another way to chat with fellow cruisers I might not have had the chance to meet otherwise. :D

Archived