How Formal are Formal Nights on European Itineraries?

elena7seas

Just off the Eclipse in the Baltic. I would estimate 60% or so of the men wore a tux or a kilt. Have never seen so many tuxes on formal night. Most of the women were dressed to the nines as well, including on smart casual night, which I thought was interesting. My guess would be that they were all Brits or Scots who drove to the port and therefore could schlep tons of formal wear.

We are taking the same itinerary in July. I have not been able to find any postings from anyone on the trip. I would appreciate it if you could give me some helpful hints. My email is deniseavagliano@aol.com Thanks

DH and DS decided to rent their tux and formal wear from celebrity and it really was a great decision. We were on the baltic cruise and the majority of the men wore tuxes.

Our next cruise will be the mediterranean. I expect this cruise will be a bit more causal than our baltic but the guys decided to go with the tux rental once again:)

We are taking the same itinerary in July. I have not been able to find any postings from anyone on the trip. I would appreciate it if you could give me some helpful hints. My email is deniseavagliano@aol.com Thanks

Not sure what you're looking for. There are plenty of posts of the roll call for our cruise and I'd be willing to bet that there's a roll call for your cruise as well. Check out the roll call boards.

You should order ahead of time at http://www.cruiselineformal.com/ My DH went to a men's wear store and had measurements taken and then kept them on file for future cruises. I think they have a few on board but would not take a chance on the availability or selection on the ship. His tux is always waiting in our cabin when we board:D and he tries it on right away to check the fit. On time he had a problem with the trousers but the room steward took care of the exchange promptly. He used to take a dark suit but doesn't bother anymore.

We're currently onboard the Equinox in the Med. I would say about 10-15% of the men wore tuxes. My DH rented his tux to save the trouble of packing one. We have used Cruiselineformal.com many times in the past with no problems. This time however we did have problems. There was no tux in the room when we arrived. We talked to the room steward and showed him our receipt. He seemed aware that we were "owed" a tux and got to work on getting one. But the tux that was delivered definitely seemed like it was a bunch of leftovers put together. The shirts were not identical and were of some flimsy polyester material. The jacket was missing a button. DH would definitely have looked better in his regular black suit. For the second formal night (which is tonight) they have either sewed a button on the jacket or found another one (not sure which) and cleaned the better of the two shirts. We'd still probably rent again just to avoid packing the suit, but definitely check the tux on the first day and report problems immediately.

I am considering renting a tux for my DH on our upcoming Med cruise on the Solstice (rather than bringing his own tux or a dress suit), as we are trying to keep our luggage to a minimum.

Our issue is that we are travelling as a family of 5 this time (four adults and a four-year-old) and we will be renting a SUV when we get off the cruise, so we need the luggage for the five of us to fit in the vehicle!

For anyone who is cruising, or has recently cruised on a European itinerary, how many tuxes are you seeing on formal nights?

Does anyone have any recent pictures of the MDR or out-and-about on formal nights that they could post?

Thanks!

We did a Trans Atlantic crossing on the Equinox ( Rome to Fort lauderdale) the end of Oct. and there 3 formal nights I would say many of the men were in tuxes some were in suits, others in sport jackes and the remainder not dressed, although they were the exception. Some of the men who rented their tuxes complained about the fit others were happy. When cruising, we prefer to bring our own tuxes but that is us. A nice dark suit will work well too. Do what is most comfortable for you and enjoy your cruise.

You should order ahead of time at http://www.cruiselineformal.com/ My DH went to a men's wear store and had measurements taken and then kept them on file for future cruises. I think they have a few on board but would not take a chance on the availability or selection on the ship. His tux is always waiting in our cabin when we board:D and he tries it on right away to check the fit. On time he had a problem with the trousers but the room steward took care of the exchange promptly. He used to take a dark suit but doesn't bother anymore.

I used cruiseline formal last RCI cruise to book a tux for DS, this time have booked ahead for him and his younger brother. DH takes his DJ with him. They all take a wing collared shirt as well, because I think they all look gorgeous in them :), and I love the photos of me and my boys in formal wear! This time they can also pretend they're James Bond inthe Martini bar too!

Just got back from 11 day Med 2 weeks ago. I would say it was 30-40% tuxes and the rest dark suits. Rent a tux to save room in luggage. My husband has size 14's and they take up a huge amount of space. If you bring yours don't forget to bring your studs. DH forgot his and they were sold out at the shops.

Just got back from 11 day Med 2 weeks ago. I would say it was 30-40% tuxes and the rest dark suits. Rent a tux to save room in luggage. My husband has size 14's and they take up a huge amount of space. If you bring yours don't forget to bring your studs. DH forgot his and they were sold out at the shops.

I rented from cruiselineformal.com for next week's cruise and I believe the studs are part of the package. Please let me know if that is not the case.

Having just done a med cruise on Eclipse, there were about 60-70 % in formal wear by which I mean dinner suits (tux), but the mix was mainly Brits. quote]

During our recent TA, early seating, there were no more than 20% in tuxes. Could have been greater in later seating or Specialty restaurants

Having just done a med cruise on Eclipse, there were about 60-70 % in formal wear by which I mean dinner suits (tux), but the mix was mainly Brits. quote]

During our recent TA, early seating, there were no more than 20% in tuxes. Could have been greater in later seating or Specialty restaurants

No it wasn't greater at late seating on our cruise, d4m. We "parked" in the Ensemble Lounge every night before dinner and I was amazed at the generally poor dress parading by for the specialty restaurants and Blu (with the possible exception of Murano's - everyone seemed dressed nicely to go there - but not really a lot of tuxes even there).

I am considering renting a tux for my DH on our upcoming Med cruise on the Solstice (rather than bringing his own tux or a dress suit), as we are trying to keep our luggage to a minimum.

Our issue is that we are travelling as a family of 5 this time (four adults and a four-year-old) and we will be renting a SUV when we get off the cruise, so we need the luggage for the five of us to fit in the vehicle!

For anyone who is cruising, or has recently cruised on a European itinerary, how many tuxes are you seeing on formal nights?

Does anyone have any recent pictures of the MDR or out-and-about on formal nights that they could post?

Thanks![/quote

This is like asking:

"How red does the traffic light have to be before I am required to stop?"

Thanks![/quote

This is like asking:

"How red does the traffic light have to be before I am required to stop?"

How blind are you? They're asking about renting a tux. Try reading the actual question before leaping into your usual formal night rampage.

OK I normally find on 14 nights there are 3 formal nights that require a tux.

i would say on these nights 99% wear a tux (for those who are being pedantic, no i didn't count them).

The other nights I would say maybe less than 20% wore a tux and most were happy in short sleeve shirts, no ties, and smart casual trousers (pants).

How blind are you? They're asking about renting a tux. Try reading the actual question before leaping into your usual formal night rampage.

No need to be so rude. I thought luvbluseas comment was spot on. The OP is considering renting a tux as opposed to bringing one, fair enough. But if that was all there would be no need to ask the further questions about numbers of tuxes being worn on formal nights. It should be of no consequence unless of course it was designed to help in making a decision as to whether to wear a tux at all.

Just returned from 12 night Baltic Cruise on the Connie. I would estimate 25% or less were in Tuxes. Dark suits, Blazers and Sport Jackets were the norm.

I'll send you an email.

Just off Constellation Baltic cruise. There seemed to be a few more tuxes than I've seen before, but also more non-suits and light-colored suits than usual and I didn't see anyone refused entry or offered jackets. A younger man at our table wore dressy jeans and open collar shirt on the 1st formal night. He wore jacket and tie with casual pants for the other two.

I saw two Scotsmen with formal kilts on the last formal night--impressive!

I wouldn't be surprised if formal night goes away within 5 yrs.

No need to be so rude. I thought luvbluseas comment was spot on. The OP is considering renting a tux as opposed to bringing one, fair enough. But if that was all there would be no need to ask the further questions about numbers of tuxes being worn on formal nights. It should be of no consequence unless of course it was designed to help in making a decision as to whether to wear a tux at all.

You need to be more familiar with the person who posted it before commenting. They have a history of attacking people.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable question. Yes, it's formal night, but we all know formal night isn't what it used to be. Even Century has made the 2nd formal night optional this season in Alaska. A simple question about a tux should be a simple one to answer, the OP did nothing wrong.

I see a lot about menswear but not much about we ladies.

Please reassure me that a simple cocktail dress is going to be fine and I don't need to find, or pack, an evening gown.

I promise to wear shiny high heels. :)

We did a Trans Atlantic crossing on the Equinox ( Rome to Fort lauderdale) the end of Oct. and there 3 formal nights I would say many of the men were in tuxes some were in suits, others in sport jackes and the remainder not dressed, although they were the exception. Some of the men who rented their tuxes complained about the fit others were happy. When cruising, we prefer to bring our own tuxes but that is us. A nice dark suit will work well too. Do what is most comfortable for you and enjoy your cruise.

Well thank you for a laugh out loud experience Chicago Boy. I was at work and actually spit out small pieces of the apple I was eating onto my keyboard, when I read that some of the men actually do not wear clothes at all! Just don't offer me sausage or meatballs on those evenings.

You need to be more familiar with the person who posted it before commenting. They have a history of attacking people.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable question. Yes, it's formal night, but we all know formal night isn't what it used to be. Even Century has made the 2nd formal night optional this season in Alaska. A simple question about a tux should be a simple one to answer, the OP did nothing wrong.

Sorry, are you saying that I need to be familiar with every single poster on whose posts I make a comment. I think that would be impossible. And as for a "history of attacking people" you're right I don't know about such history but it seems to me that, on this occasion, your comment seemed to be quite attacking.

Archived