Tables for Two

Pipkins

We are trying Cunard for the first time with a seven night trip to Norway in July, in Queens Grill. Our travel agent assured us that a table for two would not be a problem. However, our booking information from Cunard states a table for four! A telephone call to Cunard brought the reply that they were on a 'first come first served' type basis.......

We are not unsociable, but this is a bit worrying.....can anybody please let us know availability? We have previously been very happy on Seabourn, and before that Crystal, but love to dance, so hope that QM2 will give more opportunity.....any insight here would also be appreciated.

We are trying Cunard for the first time with a seven night trip to Norway in July, in Queens Grill. Our travel agent assured us that a table for two would not be a problem. However, our booking information from Cunard states a table for four! A telephone call to Cunard brought the reply that they were on a 'first come first served' type basis.......

We are not unsociable, but this is a bit worrying.....can anybody please let us know availability? We have previously been very happy on Seabourn, and before that Crystal, but love to dance, so hope that QM2 will give more opportunity.....any insight here would also be appreciated.

We have never had a problem getting a table for two in Queens Grill or Princess Grill, like you we are not unsociable but much prefer to eat on our own. Go and see the Maitre'd when you board they will be there at lunchtime and I'm certain your request will be met, in fact the booking info from Cunard always shows a table for four when you request one for two. Enjoy your trip we did the same one last July on Queen Mary 2 in Queens Grill and it was amazing.

We always have a table for 2 in the QG and it's never been a problem.

Ensure that your travel summary shows "2" and not the default "4". This can be accomplished by your TA calling Cunard.

Get on board early and check with the Maitre d'Hotel asap. If by any chance you are assigned anything different a quiet word usually works.

Officially, window seats are allocated by grade, so you might not necessarily have the best view.

Whatever happens, you'll have a great time I'm sure.

Stewart

Thank you all for your help - perhaps this will be a 'belt and braces' exercise - we will contract travel agent again, and also go straight to the restaurant on boarding with our request.

The booking site that your TA uses for online bookings ,known as POLAR , has been modified to now accept a drect request for a table for 2 without first requesting a table for 4 , then adding a table for 2 supplementry request.:)

Sorry, that's just wrong.

My documents ALWAYS state "2".

4 is their default number. Your TA must stipulate anything less.

Stewart

every-time i have made a booking with Cunard 13 times!! it has always appeared on the summary as

Dining Table Size: 4

DIning Requests: Requested table for 2

ive have recently booked a voyage and once again it appeared in this way i am hardly wrong when i have Cunard documents to back this up!

every-time i have made a booking with Cunard 13 times!! it has always appeared on the summary as

Dining Table Size: 4

DIning Requests: Requested table for 2

ive have recently booked a voyage and once again it appeared in this way i am hardly wrong when i have Cunard documents to back this up!

Well, apparently we live on different planets.

I also have the documents from our past 7 trips in Queens Grill. Each one states "Requested Table Size 2". I've just double checked. You really had me wondering for a minute, but no, I'm absolutely correct.

On one trip last year, it stated "4" at first, but a quick call to our TA and the very next day the Summary stated "2".

Is this something peculiar to Queens Grill?

Hmm maybe im doing something wrong or my agent dosnt know what he's talking about :D i asked him about the table sitting the other day and he said the smallest he was able to book was a 4 maybe its just his system

One can now select "2" in the cunard.com online booking system and two well-regarded travel agents have confirmed on here that POLAR accepts "2" as well. You need to press your agent further and direct him/her to contact Cunard and modify your booking if he/she can't do it themselves.

Your op, reminds of when we sailed on QV's madien voyage and had requested a table for 2, I don't recall what our pre cruise documents said, and I was under the assumption that out request for a table for 2 would be granted, like when we'd previously sailed on Cunard. On arrival at the PG, we were taken to a table for 8, yes 8. NO WAY!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!! We told the Maitre d, we had requested a table for 2, and were allocated a table for two within minutes. The large table for 8 was visiable from our table, and while having lunch, two groups came into the dinning room, were allocated the table and refused to sit there. One group was moved to a table in a less than desirable location, the other group was given no option but the table for 8. Surely, that could have been us had we arrived at the dinning room a few minutes later.

Later that evening at dinner, we had an early dinner and witnessed a repeat of what we saw at lunch, customers refusing the table for 8 and requesting smaller tables, none of these requests were accomodated. We overhead the first couple sitting at the large table taking amoungst themselves and complaining. This continued thoughtout the cruise, and the table for 8 (made up of 5 different groups) proved to be unpopular.

You don't specify in your op if you are travelling in a Britannia, PG or QG cabin. My advice, go early (super early if you are in Britannia) to the dinning room and if you are not assigned a table for two, see the Maitre d and request it.

Your op, reminds of when we sailed on QV's madien voyage and had requested a table for 2, I don't recall what our pre cruise documents said, and I was under the assumption that out request for a table for 2 would be granted, like when we'd previously sailed on Cunard. On arrival at the PG, we were taken to a table for 8, yes 8. NO WAY!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!! We told the Maitre d, we had requested a table for 2, and were allocated a table for two within minutes. The large table for 8 was visiable from our table, and while having lunch, two groups came into the dinning room, were allocated the table and refused to sit there. One group was moved to a table in a less than desirable location, the other group was given no option but the table for 8. Surely, that could have been us had we arrived at the dinning room a few minutes later.

Later that evening at dinner, we had an early dinner and witnessed a repeat of what we saw at lunch, customers refusing the table for 8 and requesting smaller tables, none of these requests were accomodated. We overhead the first couple sitting at the large table taking amoungst themselves and complaining. This continued thoughtout the cruise, and the table for 8 (made up of 5 different groups) proved to be unpopular.

You don't specify in your op if you are travelling in a Britannia, PG or QG cabin. My advice, go early (super early if you are in Britannia) to the dinning room and if you are not assigned a table for two, see the Maitre d and request it.

They do specify that they are travelling in QG. :eek:

Archived