Never had a "beach day"..what to bring?

nakaslady

Hi there! I will be sailing Allure of the Seas this September and we will be visiting a couple of beaches. Having never had a complete beach day, I am not sure of what to bring. Also, if we plan to do watersports, where do we store our belongings? We will be for sure visiting Orient Beach in St. Martin, if that helps. Thanks in Advance!

Bring as little as possible so you aren't hauling around a bunch of stuff.

In a small backpack I bring a towel, sunscreen, water, a granola bar and a book. Dont forget your sign and sail card, ID and some $$.

I wear my beach cover up. Most taxis won't transport you if you are wet so sometimes I bring a change of clothes if not I just make sure I have dried off.

Have fun!!!

Kris

I bring a bag with: suncreen, chapstick, towel, book, kleenex, gum (I hate the taste of salt water), water bottle, watch. I will also bring a comb and leave-in conditioner as I have curly hair, and if I let it dry after being in the water, I can never get the rat's nests out of it. I wear flip flops, swim suit, cover-up, hat, and sunglasses.

Hope this helps.

Robin

We went to Orient Beach 2 years ago and it is wonderful. They have a good outdoor restaurant there. Also there were watersports if you are interested in that. I always carry a swim noodle that I have cut in half for beach days, it makes it easy to snorkel if you don't want a vest or just to float. They take up no room or weight in my suitcase, I throw it away at the end of cruise and have enough space for souvenirs. Beyond that I would take the normal towel, sunscreen hat etc. I do leave all jewelry on the ship and only carry what I could replace if something happens. We use a waterproof camera for beach days. I have a waterproof pouch for cash, set sail card and anything else I don't want wet but often leave it tucked under our stuff on the beach while we are in the water.

We went to Orient Beach 2 years ago and it is wonderful. They have a good outdoor restaurant there. Also there were watersports if you are interested in that. I always carry a swim noodle that I have cut in half for beach days, it makes it easy to snorkel if you don't want a vest or just to float. They take up no room or weight in my suitcase, I throw it away at the end of cruise and have enough space for souvenirs. Beyond that I would take the normal towel, sunscreen hat etc. I do leave all jewelry on the ship and only carry what I could replace if something happens. We use a waterproof camera for beach days. I have a waterproof pouch for cash, set sail card and anything else I don't want wet but often leave it tucked under our stuff on the beach while we are in the water.

Thanks so much, this was really helpful. I can't wait!

I bring a bag with: suncreen, chapstick, towel, book, kleenex, gum (I hate the taste of salt water), water bottle, watch. I will also bring a comb and leave-in conditioner as I have curly hair, and if I let it dry after being in the water, I can never get the rat's nests out of it. I wear flip flops, swim suit, cover-up, hat, and sunglasses.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Thank you, I have curly hair too, so it really helps : )

Bring as little as possible so you aren't hauling around a bunch of stuff.

In a small backpack I bring a towel, sunscreen, water, a granola bar and a book. Dont forget your sign and sail card, ID and some $$.

I wear my beach cover up. Most taxis won't transport you if you are wet so sometimes I bring a change of clothes if not I just make sure I have dried off.

Have fun!!!

Kris

Glad you told me that about the taxis. Thank you!

You def. want to try and limit your haul. Put on your swim suit and throw a cover up on over it. I bring a towel (I don't really use it though, hmmm), camera, sunscreen, water, chapstick, my wristlette with my Ship card money etc., book or Ipod, oh and I have tor bring my sunglasses b/c I can't wear contacts so I have prescriptions in reg and shades, maybe a hat too. I just take a beach bag with me and everything has to fit in that bag or it doesn't go, lol.

As far as leaving your stuff. If you go somewhere that has these services a lot of times they will have lockers, but sometimes they don't. Call, email, or ask on the excursion boards about this ahead of time. You might have to purchase a waterproof wallet or something similiar to keep your important docs with you.

Always bring sunscreen, and plenty of it....1 oz (shotglass) per adult every 2 hours!!!! Don't know where you're from, but the sun is SOOOO strong, you can french-fry yourself and ruin the rest of your vacation...you don't want that!

Most places (a bit of research will help!) will have eating/drinking venues and restrooms, so there's no need to lug lots of water/snacks.

The ship provides towels, so you won't need to bring your own.

Definitely bring a mid-size tote to stuff all of your things in.... I just stick any cash or credit card into the pages of an old, paperback book while I'm in the water (still keeping an eye on my stuff!)...no one wants an old book!

I bring a tote bag (just lay it empty in the bottom of my suitcase). I use the ships towel and bring sunscreen, camera, crushable sun hat, ships card, alittle bit of cash or a credit card, book and sunglasses. I wear my bathing suit and put on a sundress or shorts and top and shoes. Pretty much the same as all the previous posters.

This is what I did on my cruise which had 2 beach days:

I packed one of my re-usable shopping bags(it was a Target one, actually)

and I packed like 5 empty regular ziplock backs.

When we got to our beach day, I got out the Target bag, got out my ziplock bags, and put my room key, my camera, my lipgloss, hair ties, etc. in the ziplock bags. Then I put my ziplocks, my sunblcok, towels, and a sundress in the bag and was on my way. I REALLY suggest using a re-usable shopping bag since 1) you probably already have one so you don't have to buy anything lol and 2) it's so easy to just fill them with stuff and they're DURABLE!

*Also, random sidenote: I didn't have any specific reason for using my Target bag but it worked out VERY well to have that bright RED bag because it was easy to spot and I didn't confuse it with anyone else's bag.

Happy planning and bon voyage!!!

The shopping bad and baggies are a great idea to organize a bag that I refer to as "abyss bags." I can never find things in them b/c its just a big empty abyss of space that seems to swallow stuff up. The baggies could help keep the small things from falling to the bottom of the abyss.

I bought my beach bag at the first island. My friend threw most of my stuff in her bag and then we stopped by a store on our way to the beach and I grabbed up a cheap bag and used it the rest of the trip and got a gift too. Carnival sells them on the ship too, they are too bad in price.

My mom actually bought a "picnic" bag and it is made for taking a picnic out, so it has the big space in the middle, but lots of pockets and bungee cord holders around the inside to hold things.

Ok, best thread I've read in a long time as far as useful tips go.

Hope this helps.

Robin

What leave in conditioner do you recommend?

The noodle idea rocks. I was thinking it would be nice to have one but they are so bulky.

This is what I did on my cruise which had 2 beach days:

I packed one of my re-usable shopping bags(it was a Target one, actually)

and I packed like 5 empty regular ziplock backs.

When we got to our beach day, I got out the Target bag, got out my ziplock bags, and put my room key, my camera, my lipgloss, hair ties, etc. in the ziplock bags. Then I put my ziplocks, my sunblcok, towels, and a sundress in the bag and was on my way. I REALLY suggest using a re-usable shopping bag since 1) you probably already have one so you don't have to buy anything lol and 2) it's so easy to just fill them with stuff and they're DURABLE!

*Also, random sidenote: I didn't have any specific reason for using my Target bag but it worked out VERY well to have that bright RED bag because it was easy to spot and I didn't confuse it with anyone else's bag.

Happy planning and bon voyage!!!

I'm going to start doing the baggie thing today. I have been wanting to start using my larger, nicer purses but I have to carry diaper bag items and some are open top. This will solve that problem. :)

We've been to orient beach a number of times. There are chairs and unbrella's that you can rent everywhere and not expensive ($20 for both of you should do it). Also there are rest rooms at almost every bar and restaurant on the beach where you can change into something try if you need to do that. I agree with the others, keep it simple - a beach bag with sunscreen, maybe a book and towels and that's about it. You can get a taxi right off the ship and at the beach for about 7.00 pp each way. Best bargain ever. I would stay away from the ships tours for beach days.

What leave in conditioner do you recommend?

I use salon products usually (Curls Rock and Biolage) but in this instance, I just use an Aussie version of it. I wash it out as soon as we get back to the ship so I don't want to spend $$$ on it.

Happy sailing!

Robin

FfpPujJuwWjaf3dnESsIcJMXN_SLczHS_daX-PNA5LekjY0t_iAE8c0f8sUoVxwYqUGm3WyT6Wws_ahFhkyph_MNpqaI9IM0b-jxPVN_Z7etfbTGSWwh1hgFpxm29mjCGh2eLrX2_yMgAH_BRy1_sorKS2BD0ZFqwnvuVVrZmxc

If you attend conferences, you usually get a canvas bag. These are sturdy and covered with the logo of the conference, which makes them less attractive to a potential thief!

At a dive shop, you can get a small, water tight container on a lanyard. It's big enough for money & credit card.

Baby powder. When you're ready to leave the beach, it'll clean the sand right off your feet. I have no idea WHY it works, but it does. I can't stand getting sand into my shoes -- even sandals. One travel-sized bottle's enough for your group for your two beach days.

As for where to leave your stuff . . . don't take anything you wouldn't mind losing. Bring a paperback book and a disposable camera. I'd rather do without the ipod than worry about it while I'm out in the waves. My husband's swim trunks all have either a tiny pocket inside the waist or a zippered pocket on the leg -- those are perfect for our ship's IDs, a few dollars (beachside stores'll accept wet money) and a credit card. Men's beach clothing is so much more practical than women's!

i have some fresh produce shorts and tees which i wear over my bathing suit to take taxi to beach. Hat. Croc sandals (the cute ones). Flat vinyl type zip beach bag (target). Also fan of ziploc bags for everything to keep sand out. Dollar bills. ID-important to get back on ship!! Also some wipe on bug stuff towelettes in little individual packs for no-see-ums. Each of us brings a water bottle-stay hydrated! and dark glasses for the guys, helpful for orient beach! have a good time!

Also some wipe on bug stuff towelettes in little individual packs for no-see-ums.

I forgot this! I put in a small can of OFF! in case I need it. We did have sand fleas on a beach a few years ago that LIKED me. UGH. (I think it was Roatan.)

Robin

I forgot this! I put in a small can of OFF! in case I need it. We did have sand fleas on a beach a few years ago that LIKED me. UGH. (I think it was Roatan.)

Robin

Didn't think of this issue...if Avon still makes the sunscreen/bug guard combo I think I'll buy a can.

I looked up the name of my adorable Croc sandals. They are Cleos in Oyster and Gold. I hate to have anything between my toes. The colors go with everything.

In my beach bag, I take a couple of uninflated beach balls from the dollar store. They take up no room. You can blow them up at the beach, hang on to them and use them to float. If you want, just leave them at the beach when you are done.

Archived